Save Files

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AGP
Royal Servant Status

Save Files

#1 Post by AGP » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 am

I'm getting into the really small, annoying, parts of my engine (the fun, bigger things are all worked-out) and I have a question that AGDI may or may not be able to answer (depends on how much of it was AGS and how much was AGDI's): did you have to store, in the save files, each and every room the hero had visited which had things that only happened once (like the narrator's descriptions)? Or was there a cleverer algorithm for determining that?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Save Files

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 am

That would be a question for Chris Jones the creator of AGS. That type of thing isn't customised by the game author. The save files for AGS are fairly large though (2MB+) so I'm imagining that it does cache as much of the game settings as possible. I know that SCI games cache all game scripts and variables even if you alter the script, recompile, and restore a save from the pre-altered state.

I don't know if that was any help at all.

AGP
Royal Servant Status

Re: Save Files

#3 Post by AGP » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:01 am

That does help a lot, thanks. Two megabytes sounds awfully large (so far my own format, holding everything from quests to inventory to location in game, points, health, etc. was only 165 BYTES). I guess AGS must store anything and everything it comes up with.