QFG3 Mod

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

QFG3 Mod

#1 Post by Almagnus1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Soo.... more for brainstorming/sheer heck of it....

What are some areas of QFG3 that could be improved with a mod?

The only issue that's coming to mind at the moment is enabling everyone to hit 500 points. There are probably others, but nothing's coming to mind XD

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: QFG3 Mod

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Purely for theoretical purpose?

Give the thief something more to do...if not thieving, then acrobatic stuff.

Maybe allow the player to see the survivor's ghost? There's a rumor that his ghost walks one of Tarna's plateaus, but I don't think it's actually in the game.

Slightly better battle system? It was only slightly above QFG1 EGA's system.

Maybe a few random events that indicate something weird's going on in Tarna. There's lots of talk around that weird lights appear in the savannah and jungle and animals are going crazy. But you never see that stuff.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Wasn't it impossible to beat Yesefu in the footrace under certain conditions, too? (Due to a bug).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:30 pm

I thought he was always meant to win, meaning you had to beat him in spear tossing/bridge balancing in order to win the initiation as a whole.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Brainiac » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:50 pm

It's never been totally clear about Yesufu. Supposedly, you get 10 points for winning the initiation and 5 points for losing it honorably. However, the only time these "points" are given are at the completion of the footrace (you will get 5 if you helped Yesufu out of the trap and he STILL beats you back despite saying you would finish together...jerk). There are no points given at the completion of the initiation. As to the bugginess of it, I've wondered if it had something to do with how the speed slider always resets to a specific value during the running sequences.

There are some other point-related bugs that need to be worked on as well, in particular the "run after" vs. "class-specific stop" methods for dealing with Harami as well as talking with Kreesha (I'm convinced it's her rather than Uhura) about the initiation. However, even though the Paladin getting points for dispatching each of the enemy types is a glitch, I'd recommend leaving that in as without it, the Paladin would indeed have no way to reach 500 points. Oh, and a Fighter-to-Paladin needs work as well if it was intended to get to 550 just like in QfG2 (especially since becoming a Paladin only gives 25 points instead of 50).

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#6 Post by DrJones » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 am

I remember I was able to kill my evil reflection, but the game wouldn't finish the battle until the scripted event, the reflection would still be there attacking me with an empty life bar. :(

I also remember my brother having to restart the game because he got poisoned at the end, and he couldn't return to the city, hehe. :lol

I would love to keep the x-ray glasses from the import in QFG2. The import feature wasn't used much in the series. :p

Thepal
Knight Status

#7 Post by Thepal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:17 pm

DrJones wrote:I remember I was able to kill my evil reflection, but the game wouldn't finish the battle until the scripted event, the reflection would still be there attacking me with an empty life bar. :(
That shouldn't have been possible. The reflections health always stayed above yours (you had to get hurt for it to get hurt)... At least I'm pretty sure that is how it worked
I would love to keep the x-ray glasses from the import in QFG2. The import feature wasn't used much in the series. :p
Hmm... who would you use them on though? :p

I do agree the import could have been used more.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Almagnus1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 am

After getting ahold of SCI Viewer, and peering into the assets of QFG3, I noticed that the scripts appear to be assembly....

Would I be correct in assuming that they were probably C/C++, but I'm looking at a disassembly of a binary?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:12 am

No. Nobody knows exactly what the scripts' notation was. For the longest time we believed it was very close in resemblance to LISP, but recently we've discovered that it in fact had more in common with a language called SmallTalk than LISP. In fact, an ex-Sierra programmer confirmed that the notation used in SCI Studio and SCI Companion is definitely not what they were working with at Sierra.

You are looking at a disassembly, though. The script language was guessed, reverse engineered, and manually "decompiled" by working with such disassembly code.

Almagnus1
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Almagnus1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 am

I figured as much....

It seems like there should be some sort of tools that would allow you to go from a disassembly => higher level language...

I'm starting to wonder if this needs to be a complete remake, rather than a mod....

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:31 am

Yeah. The SCI community has been wanting a proper script decompiler for years. We've kind of given up on it.