Maniac Mansion DOTT Style

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

Maniac Mansion DOTT Style

#1 Post by Billetwound » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:17 pm

I was goofing around looking in the bigbluecup Forums and i came across a post about remaking Maniac Mansion, but in the style of Day Of The Tentacle. It Looks pretty cool if they manage to finish it :) . Its in German but they are planning an English version as well.

I mean don't get me wrong i love the original in all its different formats ( Commodore 64, NES, PC, The FanRemake) but i'd love to play it in this style as well. Because you could play the 1st game and 2nd game without it being a dramatic change of Envioronment.

http://www.night-of-the-meteor.de/en

psychosis090
Peasant Status

Re: Maniac Mansion DOTT Style

#2 Post by psychosis090 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:25 am

Ah, yes. Been watching this one for a while. Looks like it's shaping up real nicely.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:06 pm

This and the Curse of Monkey Island Classic Edition are the two best LucasArts related fangames I'm looking forward to right now.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Billetwound » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:47 pm

I agree, both of them are going to be great.... now if only someone would remake Zak Mckracken and The Alien Mindbenders in kind of a DOTT style or just maybe even like Maniac Mansion Deluxe, That would be awesome :)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm also looking forward to that game, but I think Bernard's design is noticeably different from the rest of the gang. DOTT style is hard to emulate.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Billetwound » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:02 pm

DrJones wrote:I'm also looking forward to that game, but I think Bernard's design is noticeably different from the rest of the gang. DOTT style is hard to emulate.
Yeah i agree from what i saw from the dave walking animation. They used the bernard style from DOTT which he had a very comically cartoonish look, while the rest just look like normal people. But at the same time the 1st game had more of a serious less comical tone to it, and DOTT was extremely comical. So i mean i can kind of understand it. Its like watching an episode of "Saved by the Bell" and most of the cast looked normal and Screech was just always dressed wierd LOL.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:24 pm

Billetwound wrote:I agree, both of them are going to be great.... now if only someone would remake Zak Mckracken and The Alien Mindbenders in kind of a DOTT style or just maybe even like Maniac Mansion Deluxe, That would be awesome :)
Zak McKracken is already in VGA with CD Audio music in the official FM Towns release. Pity it never did come to DOS, though. But it's playable in ScummVM if you can get your hands on it.

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Billetwound » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Zak McKracken is already in VGA with CD Audio music in the official FM Towns release. Pity it never did come to DOS, though. But it's playable in ScummVM if you can get your hands on it.
It actually did come to dos at one point. Back when i had my own 386 Packard Bell (No Cd Drive) and my Dad had a 486 Packard Bell (With Cd Drive) my parents for christmas got me a LucasGames Collection that had Maniac Mansion, Zak Mckraken, Secrets of Monkey Island, and Indiana Jones on it. But it was on CD and my dad wouldn't let me touch his computer, so they made me take it back and they let me pick 4 games of my choice, which i got Space Quest 1 , Space Quest 4 , Quest For Glory 3, and Some Dungeons and Dragons game ( I want to think it was Eye of the Beholder but i'm not sure). But yeah i have the FM Towns version of Zak, i just don't like using Emulators or Loaders to make games work. Yeah it may seem picky, but i like to just be able to Click an icon on the desktop and just go with it. HA i even remember Making the Cable and buying software to hook my 1541 Commodore 64 Drive up and copying Zak onto my pc and emulating that. Oh the memories. But its not that I want to see Zak in just VGA, I would like to see it in the DOTT style, because Zak is a really Comical game. Maybe even with voices too.

Radogol
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by Radogol » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Billetwound wrote:But yeah i have the FM Towns version of Zak, i just don't like using Emulators or Loaders to make games work. Yeah it may seem picky, but i like to just be able to Click an icon on the desktop and just go with it.

That's what batch files are for ;)

rollercoasternd
Peasant Status

#10 Post by rollercoasternd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:55 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote: But it's playable in ScummVM if you can get your hands on it.
Thats the problem

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#11 Post by DrJones » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 am

Billetwound
Royal Servant Status

#12 Post by Billetwound » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:49 am

That trailer is awesome, I've been :rollin everytime i show it to someone