Any plans for KQ4 remake?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Any plans for KQ4 remake?

#1 Post by FatherGhostface » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:37 am

I know, I know----this question has probably been asked to death! But I've been playing the KQ2 and KQ3 remakes a lot lately and I'm just blown away by how much depth and hard work was put into these games, how you made them your own. I would LOVE to see your interpretation of a KQ4 game, I'd love to see how you'd change it up a bit, how you might incorporate 'The Father' into the storyline (other than the obvious curse that would cause Graham's 'heart to slow') and what interesting new characters and side quests you'd put into the game, not to mention the puzzles. That would be so amazing to see.

I haven't been here that much so I don't know the whole deal but did I read something about you guys only being allowed to do a certain amount of KQ games or something? At least, for free anyways? BAAAH IDK. I don't know how long this game took you guys and I don't know if you want to rush down that road again anyways. I kind of lost all hope for Magic Mirror Games to finish their remake so here's hoping that you guys maybe do something down the line. :\

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Any plans for KQ4 remake?

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:41 pm

We don't have permission to do any more Sierra remakes. We wouldn't want to keep doing this for free anymore anyway.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by FatherGhostface » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:08 am

That's too bad, I was really hoping for another one. I suppose there is no possible way to convince these people or whoever to let you make just one more, and as for paying for the game, as long as it's not too expensive, I'd totally pay for it to play it.

Cocoon
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Cocoon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:58 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:We don't have permission to do any more Sierra remakes. We wouldn't want to keep doing this for free anymore anyway.
What about THIS topic then ?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Note they said "free". If they were able to secure a license from Activision to do a commercial version of King's Quest IV, I think they'd do it. You'd have to pay for it though, sucka! Cough up the sheckles!

Bt

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:21 pm

When I said "do it for free" I meant "do it without getting paid for it". It wouldn't really be up to us to charge for it or not.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by FatherGhostface » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Fine. If we can't get a game, I would love to at least get a story, fan fic or something from Daniel Stacey (if he were up for it). I doubt it though.

AncientHero89
Peasant Status

#8 Post by AncientHero89 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Why not put up a kickstarter. I'm sure a lot of people would definitely fund it.

adeyke

#9 Post by adeyke » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:58 pm

AGDI was given a license for its remakes, and Activision is currently turning a blind eye to other fan remakes (rather than sending cease-and-desists). A big part of why they're being this tolerant is likely that no money is changing hands. If the developers were actually getting money, there's little chance of that happening. It would require actually buying a license, and a Kickstarter project wouldn't raise enough money for that.

Baphomet
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Baphomet » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:14 pm

But my question is is why did AGD remake King's Quest III when there was already a KQIII remake by Infamous Adventures, AGD should've made King's Quest IV instead of KQIII in the first place I think. It's a shame how it's now the only King's Quest game without a full VGA remake.

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:54 am

AGDI's remake of KQ3 was already well underway by the time IA announced their remake. Starting over from scratch on a different game wasn't really an option at that point.