Programming, what to learn for game making?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Paladinlover
Knight Status

Programming, what to learn for game making?

#1 Post by Paladinlover » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Several years ago, around 2002 to be exact, I got a brief interest in making games after someone over here introduced me to SCI studio. I later took C++ classes in the summer of 2003 in order to gain some understanding of programming. Unfortunately, I decided to wait for the never-to-be-released version of SCI studio VGA, which Brian had promised had a decompiler that would permit me to look into the inner workings of the game and get a stronger grasp as to how things actually work in there. The only problem is that not only did SCI VGA not come out, but the length of time I waited resulted in a lot of skill atrophy in my ability to program anything.

That being said, I've been interested in really starting to make a game, largely because I've actually got an idea as to what kind of game I want to make. So here I am, back at the drawing board, and I learned a bit of Basic and I've gotten the essential guide to C#. What do you people recommend to learn if I'm going to effectively program games with AGS, SCI Companion/Studio, and AGI studio, I intend to make a series using all those engines (I'll get to the why later when I announce that I've started on the games).

Till next time stay cool 8))

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Programming, what to learn for game making?

#2 Post by Erpy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:26 am

For AGS, some basic C/C++/C# knowledge is more than enough to pick it up. If you're already familiar with the basics of programming, like how to use variables, if-statements and while-loops, using AGS shouldn't be hard. Other than that, you just need patience. Lots and lots of it.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

Re: Programming, what to learn for game making?

#3 Post by Paladinlover » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 am

Thanks, I suspected that. :)

At any rate, my intended series will use AGI, SCI, and AGS. The reason I'd use AGS is that there is still no reliable SCI VGA maker out there.

Till next time stay cool 8))