What would I need to pitch this idea?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

What would I need to pitch this idea?

#1 Post by Renodox » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:37 am

I'm trying to get an animated adventure kind of like the games, Space Ace, Dragon's Lair, and Braindead 13 made. However, I only have a story and people are saying that's not enough. What do you think I need to have to get this idea out so I can start recruiting?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: What would I need to pitch this idea?

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:26 am

I'm not even sure myself if a game like Dragon's Lair is a viable thing for a non-profit project...it's essentially a full-length cartoon and you usually have entire animation studios work on that kind of thing. What might help is a storyboard document that contains information on exactly what art assets the various animated sequences are comprised of.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:17 pm

The last one of such games was called "The Act" and has a vastly different gameplay style, but was never released. Even though they're my favorite games, I don't suggest you to undertake such a task without a whole lot of experience in the animation industry, as the slightest delay during production will cost you tens of thousands of dollars. In fact, the Dragon's Lair games never recovered their budget and that's why the developers have to live on making ports for every gaming console in existence.

You can write a message to the developers of "the Act" asking how much money they spent on their game (the project was canned after all development on it was finished, because they couldn't get Arcade distributors to buy their game). http://www.theactgame.com/

You can also try to get a deal from them to sell their game on current generation consoles. I think that's more likely to work and reap benefits than creating your own interactive movie.

The other option is to do a stick figure Dragon's Lair game. I know there was one out there because I played it. It took the creator two years and he never finished it due to the sheer amount of work the project required (even though it was just stick figures).

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Renodox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:36 am

Yeah... I thought I could do it because when I first played Braindead 13 it looked like there were only like five people who worked on it. Thing was: I always skipped the true credits thinking the end sequence had them.