Making music

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Paladinlover
Knight Status

Making music

#1 Post by Paladinlover » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 am

One question that's been on my mind for a while is making the music for the games. Outside of recording music with real instruments (which I have no skill with, and I don't actually own any instruments), I know about some music composing software, but the only ones I know about are Mario Paint composer and Nickelodeon Director's Lab (a video editing software from 1994, it had a music studio program in it that could compose some nice tunes if you know how). That being said, does anyone know of any other program that's like that, able to compose music with various instruments and such?

Till next time stay cool 8))

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

Re: Making music

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:10 pm

There's always the free Garage Band if you have a Mac. Otherwise, you can use a MIDI sequencer. Anvil Studio is a good free one if you can find a copy. There's also Music Sculptor/Presto Arranger. You can't sequence, but it will allow you to use your computer keyboard as a music keyboard. There's also Cakewalk Professional for Windows 3.1 at the Quest Studios website.

There's also MOD trackers which I used to use myself. It's all sequencing and you use your own WAV files as instruments. Check out MODPlug Tracker, Impulse Tracker, Fast Tracker, or Scream Tracker.

Also, check out the Shareware Music Machine website. http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/ Loads of software there.

Paladinlover
Knight Status

Re: Making music

#3 Post by Paladinlover » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:18 am

Thanks. :) I should be able to find what I need in there.

Till next time stay cool 8))