qfg3d

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

daventry
Knight Status

qfg3d

#1 Post by daventry » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:10 am

Well well, this site is about people who wants to remake the Quest For Glory Series and add some more stuff into the games. www.qfg3d.com

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#2 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:50 am

I found that site a while ago but there doesen't seem to be much happening lately. Notice that the last news entry (from October 2 2003) says that they're switching from the Morrowind engine to writing their own, possibly based on OGRE. I'm not holding my breath for anything anytime soon. The screenshots are nice, though.

TheSaint

pdejan@galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu

#3 Post by TheSaint » Wed May 12, 2004 7:18 pm

i'll surely hate them for turning it to 3D, i personally think that 3D in qfg5 ruined the game, they shoouldnt have ever switched from 2D to 3D

regards

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#4 Post by Spikey » Wed May 12, 2004 7:58 pm

qfg3 wasn't truely 3D.

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#5 Post by TheSaint » Wed May 12, 2004 9:01 pm

who mentioned qfg3?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#6 Post by Spikey » Wed May 12, 2004 9:09 pm

w000000ps typo!

I meant qfg5 wasn't truely 3d.

I talk too fast, type too fast even before I think what I type. Speed demon you see??

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#7 Post by TheSaint » Wed May 12, 2004 9:32 pm

i didnt like it this way, i love all other qfg games, even 4 and 1/2 but not 5, there are too many inconsistencies, idea was allrite but change of style wasnt needed at all

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Wed May 12, 2004 10:07 pm

I doubt Sierra would have used the old SCI engine for Dragonfire. Too outdated.

What inconsistencies, btw?

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#9 Post by TheSaint » Wed May 12, 2004 10:31 pm

well for example the little gnome that we saw in qfg4 and that promised his friendship and told the Hero to search for him in Silmaria, there was no trace of him there... minor ones mostly but that ruins the feeling that u are getting even before game is released - that u will c some frindly faces etc in there. whole concept was nice, there was no new race if u noticed - each qfg was presenting new race and new culture (german/european, humans,cattas,centaurs; asian,cattas,humans,liontaur; african,cattas,tribal humans,liontaurs,leopard people/shapeshifters...) and some new characters like ad avis, baba yaga, etc etc. concept of fighting for kingdom wasnt very heroic btw. Centaurs are left as possible hero 6 material i guess, the concept of greek/roman mythology wasnt used in full potential, tho there were interesting touches made with hades and cerberus etc.
anyways my opinion is that work on qfg should be continued coz its a shame to let it go down the drain when some far worse games are getting thru.

just my two cents,
TheSaint

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#10 Post by Spikey » Wed May 12, 2004 11:14 pm

well for example the little gnome that we saw in qfg4 and that promised his friendship and told the Hero to search for him in Silmaria, there was no trace of him there...
I think mr Bones is mentioned by gnome Ann.
minor ones mostly but that ruins the feeling that u are getting even before game is released - that u will c some frindly faces etc in there. whole concept was nice, there was no new race if u noticed - each qfg was presenting new race and new culture (german/european, humans,cattas,centaurs; asian,cattas,humans,liontaur; african,cattas,tribal humans,liontaurs,leopard people/shapeshifters...)
Yeah the Atlantisfolk were fake in costumes and Ariël wannabe's. :lol No without joking that WAS a new race.
and some new characters like ad avis, baba yaga, etc etc.
well yeah there were actually a few new chars in Silmaria.
concept of fighting for kingdom wasnt very heroic btw.
You don't have to fight for the kingdom if you don't want to. [spoiler]You can fight for justice and peace and all, and then reject the crown. I find it very satisfying when to play through the series and then reject the ultimate reward.
work on qfg should be continued coz its a shame to let it go down the drain when some far worse games are getting thru.
yeah what can I say, that's the way it goes ;) Nowadays it takes a whole lot more to make a living out of gamemaking.

Spikes

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#11 Post by TheSaint » Thu May 13, 2004 11:46 am

I think mr Bones is mentioned by gnome Ann.
i played qfg5 like 5-6 years ago so i dont remember all but still i vaguely remember that some things bothered me
Yeah the Atlantisfolk were fake in costumes and Ariël wannabe's. :lol No without joking that WAS a new race.
i meant new race as not human race my speedy friend ;)
well yeah there were actually a few new chars in Silmaria.
essential chars for further quests
You don't have to fight for the kingdom if you don't want to. [spoiler]You can fight for justice and peace and all, and then reject the crown. I find it very satisfying when to play through the series and then reject the ultimate reward.
i finished all qfgs with all chars + paladins and i know what u r talking about, when u play the fighter ok its acceptable to be a king (like conan for example), when ur thief its kinda silly to become a king, but u dont have to enter the contest and u can try to rather be a guild master, for paladin its silly to enter the conquest but he has a chance, which gives u the choice ofc but isnt necessary coz u have chosen to be a paladin at starters, but if it gives u a chance to save other contestants let it be; for mage its ok to become a king i agree but ultimate goal of mage is to become allpowerfull wizard like erasmus etc so minor thing like kingdom arent really important, knowledge is... and i dont agree that becoming a king is an ultimate reward. at least not for me, one of the reasons is this one: I want more QfG, Sierra! Make us some more! i demand it \o/ hehe :D
ok jokes aside
yeah what can I say, that's the way it goes ;) Nowadays it takes a whole lot more to make a living out of gamemaking.
i would also like to add that i think i would've prefer that for paladin there wasnt an option to enter conquest and that he would be something like guard vs evil and protect contestants, and i would prefer warriors (if saved) to drop from contest rather then die. but i guess it would make game harder to make? or maybe they were just lazy or not fully involved in this great project...

regards,
TheSaint

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Thu May 13, 2004 12:34 pm

meant new race as not human race my speedy friend ;)
The fishtail and the breathing under water thing makes them inhuman. Really. I don't see them like that everyday. Katta's and Liontaurs have significant humanoid features as well. And was this Wolfie guy the same species as the meatseller in Tarna? I can't recall.
essential chars for further quests
Shakra is important for the wizard. Andre is important to all. Minos is important to all. The Syb is important to all. Gnome Ann is important in several side quests. Shall I continue?
I finished all qfgs with all chars + paladins and i know what u r talking about
I think it's silly for all characters to become king. Heroes and politics don't go that well together. Fighters make lousy Kings. Especially when they are called "fighters". Paladins would be limited in their good deeds when they are in politics (that's why Rakeesh didn't want the throne). Wizards and kings are so different in their paths, they are more advisors and heroes than kings. But thiefs are cheaters. I think it makes perfect sense to me for a thief to become King. But that would make his thiefthing kind of unnecessary, except for when he's into a sensation seeking life. :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Answer

#13 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Spikey wrote:And was this Wolfie guy the same species as the meatseller in Tarna? I can't recall.
From what I remember, the Welcome Woman tells you that meatseller is descended from dogs/jackals that were always native to Tarna; apparently, they went through "the Change" and became sentient beings. Wolfie is from the distant land of Inja, not Tarna. He also seems to be more canine or lupine than the meatseller; he looked to be descended from jackal stock.

Actually, if the meatseller is related to anything other beings in the games, it might be the Jackalmen from QFG2. You think the AGD's would use an altered meatseller sprite for the desert Jackalmen? :\

Spikey, I agree with you that becoming King seems rather foolish for some of the Heroes, unless the Hero wants to settle down (and considering you can get married, that might be a good reason). However, as a Thief, there is a certain satisfaction to being both King and Chief Thief (high-ranking allies are always welcome in the Thieves' Guild).

The Saint, it's true that Punny Bones was not in the game as was originally planned (neither was Dr. Cranium). The developers did some polling of the fans and a lot of negative response was garnered against Punny, so they left him out. If the QFG5 multiplayer version had ever seen the light of day, Lori Ann Cole planned to put Punny Bones back in. You also have a point about the Atlanteans; they may no longer be human but they were once (before the island sank).

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#14 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu May 13, 2004 2:13 pm

What else was originally planned? And what did they want to do with Cranium and Punny?

This is interesting.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Additions

#15 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 13, 2004 2:38 pm

adanzis wrote:What else was originally planned? And what did they want to do with Cranium and Punny?

This is interesting.
I don't know what exactly they planned to do with Punny, but I know that Dr. Cranium (and possibly Frankie, too) would have been involved at Science Island. The only other things I'm aware of they failed to include (besides everything in the multiplayer expansion, of course) is the mini-game Wizard's Whirl with Erasmus and Fenrus (you would have to beat him to get Whirlwind, just like Mage's Maze and Dazzle in the first game) and the Glide spell. Yes, the Glide spell is still in the code (you can hex-edit it into the game) but its effect is disabled. They planned to have a reason for it to be used (getting past a lake or river, maybe) but ran out of time. The official line is that Glide would have made inter-island travel far too easy for the Wizard but, honestly, since the spell can't work on rough water, I don't think that's a fair reason.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#16 Post by Spikey » Thu May 13, 2004 2:39 pm

Marrying is a reason for settling down?? I think it can be the opposite as well:

*Spikey imagines himself in the role of Devon*
I marry Katrina after we defeat the dragon of doom. I'm sure we're among the most powerful wizards on the surface of Earth, and settling down would be a waste of my powers and her powers. All the people we have to save! In politics magic is pointless anyway. *casts calmspell in the white house* :lol. No, settling down would be very unlogical for me. I want to see more of this world!
*Spikey returns to his own body*

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Marriage

#17 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 13, 2004 2:42 pm

Spikey wrote:Marrying is a reason for settling down?? I think it can be the opposite as well:

*Spikey imagines himself in the role of Devon*
I marry Katrina after we defeat the dragon of doom. I'm sure we're among the most powerful wizards on the surface of Earth, and settling down would be a waste of my powers and her powers. All the people we have to save! In politics magic is pointless anyway. *casts calmspell in the white house* :lol. No, settling down would be very unlogical for me. I want to see more of this world!
*Spikey returns to his own body*
You have a point, presuming Devon Aidendale isn't getting tired of being dragged to and from countries by magic teleportation to save them from certain doom. :lol Anyway, not settling might be okay for a time, but it might be better to stay in one place to get a little stability for Devon Jr., don't you think? ;)

Now, escaping from a marriage, that's a reason not to settle. :rollin

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#18 Post by Spikey » Thu May 13, 2004 2:46 pm

No Brainiac you got it all wrong. Stability is there!

I will learn the magical portal ritual from Kreesha, and dump Devon jr / Erana II at his or her grandpa's house *ahum* palace in Shapeir. So we can visit very often.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Exsquueze me?!

#19 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 13, 2004 3:10 pm

Spikey wrote:No Brainiac you got it all wrong. Stability is there!

I will learn the magical portal ritual from Kreesha, and dump Devon jr / Erana II at his or her grandpa's house *ahum* palace in Shapeir. So we can visit very often.
>: You heartless soul. ;)

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#20 Post by TheSaint » Thu May 13, 2004 4:13 pm

uhh speedy speedy... when i said essential to other quests i meant qfg6,7,8,9,... not quests in game.
liontaurs are already introduced in qfg3, cattas in qfg2, there is still room for centaurs(qfg1&5), and that lupine race - wolfie was probably introduced as person essential for next qfg which was/and wont be ever officially made. thats my point, u should really start reading whats typed :P

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#21 Post by Spikey » Thu May 13, 2004 4:57 pm

I did read it. Maybe you should be more clear in what you mean :rollin

This was supposed to be the concluding episode, and it was made as such.

TheSaint
Peasant Status

#22 Post by TheSaint » Fri May 14, 2004 11:16 am

ahahahahahahah touche
i'll be more clear in meh next posts ;)

still i dont like the idea of this being the concluding episode of QfG ...

cheerZ

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#23 Post by Spikey » Fri May 14, 2004 11:25 am

still i dont like the idea of this being the concluding episode of QfG
No one does. They fans had to work really hard to get YE to even make it.

Questing Character
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Questing Character » Fri May 28, 2004 7:41 pm

If you try proposing to Gnome Ann, she tells you that she has a crush on Punny Bones. He was staying at her inn before you showed up, but left because things were too dull and headed for Zurich. There's no inconsistencies there, but there are a few I can think of are when you don't play as a thief...having Toro *alive* if you're the fighter (or paladin, really), and the fact that Budar refers to the Hero as "Hider-in-Harems" even if he's not a thief...

If you wanted characters to be essential in future QfGs that were introduced in QfG5...well, there's Shakra (who could teleport you somewhere if that was needed), Gort (to help you fight maybe), Logos (for information), Wolfie (since he wants to move back to his homeland, it could be a Uhura-esque thing), Andre (maybe moves somewhere to open his own apothecary, or just brings you somewhere in his boat), and I'm sure there's others I haven't thought of.

New species? Like Spikey said, there's Wolfie's race and the Atlanteans. Plus, there's the weirdings (one of the monsters) which the book said were an invasive species. They also seem to be pretty clearly sentient (weilding scythes and shields and carrying armor and all of that). If there were going to be another QfG, it should probably deal with what the heck *they* were doing.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Not quite

#25 Post by Brainiac » Fri May 28, 2004 7:56 pm

Questing Character wrote:If you try proposing to Gnome Ann, she tells you that she has a crush on Punny Bones. He was staying at her inn before you showed up, but left because things were too dull and headed for Zurich. There's no inconsistencies there, but there are a few I can think of are when you don't play as a thief...having Toro *alive* if you're the fighter (or paladin, really), and the fact that Budar refers to the Hero as "Hider-in-Harems" even if he's not a thief...
Actually, even if you do "kill" Toro in QfG1, he'll be alive for the Hero Ceremony at the end (albeit with his arm in a sling). So Toro being alive isn't really an inconsistency for any of the characters (though the Hider-in-Harems line is).