The Quest for Glory Character Files

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

mugenmidget

The Quest for Glory Character Files

#1 Post by mugenmidget » Sun May 09, 2004 6:25 am

How does one go about decoding these files, so that one can implement them into their own games like QFG2VGA does?

And is it possible to re-export after you have done your part to them?

Relight
Archival Expert

#2 Post by Relight » Sun May 09, 2004 6:43 am

Yes, QFG2VGA will feature the ability to export at the end of game to Sierra's QFG3.

No, we will not reveal information about decoding them.

#3 Post by Guest » Sun May 09, 2004 6:47 am

Relight wrote:Yes, QFG2VGA will feature the ability to export at the end of game to Sierra's QFG3.

No, we will not reveal information about decoding them.
Well that's fine but is there any slight chance you may release this information after it is released?

I've seen trainers that can hack the files but that's not much good for game making.

mugenmidget

#4 Post by mugenmidget » Sun May 09, 2004 6:59 am

Sorry for the lack of registration BUT I guess what I want to know IF I can know anything is if it was hard to figure out how to decode these files and if my tinkering around is in vain.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun May 09, 2004 9:14 am

No, we've been asked not to spread the info when we got it. If there's any way to invent that particular wheel and make it roll, I'm not aware of it.

Mugenmidget

#6 Post by Mugenmidget » Sun May 09, 2004 6:33 pm

Erpy wrote:No, we've been asked not to spread the info when we got it. If there's any way to invent that particular wheel and make it roll, I'm not aware of it.

Sorry to be so persistent but maybe if the wheel is simple to "chisel" and easy to "oil" and rolls with particular ease, maybe we could work something out...

I'll keep fiddling but do not take this as a forceful demand, I'm just want to know everything I can =X

If anyone NOT working on the team cares to assist me please do.

Mugenmidget

#7 Post by Mugenmidget » Sun May 09, 2004 6:45 pm

Ok I think through hex editing I have figured out how to utilize most character import files. I'm not sure about my ability to interpret them all, but I can see what some of the values mean and have had mild success importing them into my own games. However, while I can probably perfect this through trial and error, my new issue is with character exporting. How do I create a file that looks like it came fresh off the game or even one that writes back to the same game. I may not be making a whole lot of sense but I think I'm actually making some head way.

mugenmidget

#8 Post by mugenmidget » Sun May 09, 2004 6:49 pm

If anyone can provide me with character imports from any of the games it would be appreciated. My floppy apparently won't read and I'm not sure if I want to use hacked up online files.

Mugenmidget

#9 Post by Mugenmidget » Sun May 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Discoveries thus far:

If it is imported from Quest for Glory 3 or 4, it has glory3.sav or glory4.sav followed by a space and a period, and the period is represented by hex value 0A.

For 1 and 2 this is not the case, as the name comes first with 0A following it. So in other words, my new dilemma is determining between a QFG 1 file and a QFG 2 file.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#10 Post by Klytos » Mon May 10, 2004 7:30 am

Despite the secrecy around here, it's not too hard to hex edit the files, just as you're doing. I have the codes all written down somewhere, from when I did it years ago. If I can find them I'll either post them, or email them to you.

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by MacGyver » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:47 am

I have a generator which I created for every character with skills maxed at the end of each game. I wrote it back in 1998. Want it?

I've no idea how to decode the original export files either. So back then I used some memory editor to change their value and saved it at the end of the game.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

To MacGyver

#12 Post by Brainiac » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:42 pm

Did you build your generator with chewing gum and a stick, MacGyver? :rollin

Sorry, I just had to say it. Anyways, I presume you're talking about something simlar to the QFG '95 Character Generator. Those things can be useful. Why don't you just get it uploaded and post a link for download?

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by MacGyver » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:40 pm

Ummmmmm QFG 95 CharGen? Never heard of it. Mine's written in 98.

Heh I've just recompiled it and added some minor error handling. Can't remember if I done any thorough testing to import them in QFG5. As far as I remember, it's been tested for QFG2-4 only.

http://thor.prohosting.com/pctools/glory.zip

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#14 Post by MacGyver » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:54 pm

mugenmidget:

Something just came to my mind. You may wanna try SCI Studio (http://www.bripro.com/scistudio/index.php) and use it to open up Hero's Quest and QFG2. If you're lucky, you could be able to find the script used to generate the export file.