SQ2 remake. Trying again

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

susanb
Peasant Status

SQ2 remake. Trying again

#1 Post by susanb » Tue May 18, 2004 6:49 pm

I was making it earlier this year, but stopped for reasons I'm tried of explaining, so don't ask.

I've gotten a TON of emails saying how awful I am for not finishing it. My Indy game is slow because all my 'employee's' (hehe) are working or studying, so a picture comes in every two weeks. On top of that, I see my site is having technical difficulties. I might go to a different host if this keeps up. I'm loosing the few interested people in my project I have, because Guru isn't updating my site. Progress is slow, very slow....

To get to my point, on the side, I'm doing Space Quest.

(the crowd cheers)

I'm terrible at sprites, and would like a space quest sprite rip of the newer versions of roger. eg SQ1VGA, SQ4, SQ5

Does anyone know.

Thanks in advance

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Tue May 18, 2004 7:06 pm

I'd move this to game making forum if I was a mod.

You could try SCIDecoder VGA. Google it and you can view the sprites, every sprite and background used in the game. If you're using XP that might be a problem since you can't press print screen.

Anyway good luck with your work.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#3 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Wed May 19, 2004 6:08 pm

Yes best of luck to you. I think we all would love to see poor Space Quest get itself a nice fan remake.

Farsight
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Farsight » Wed May 19, 2004 7:09 pm

*Cough, Cough*
Why didnt you email me first?
Did you see my post about SQ2?
All these questions and not enough answers.
I have been asking for help for making the backgrounds but everyone says it takes alot of practise to do. So that's what I'm doing.

Relight
Archival Expert

#5 Post by Relight » Wed May 19, 2004 8:05 pm

LOL :lol

You should both know by now that everyone and their dog makes an announcement every month or so around here (and on other forums) that they are going to remake Space Quest II or III. So it's hardly a surprise if one person doesn't notice or pay attention to the person who came before them.

I think we should just have an announcement at the top of this forum that says, "It's nice that you're going to remake Space Quest II or III, but don't bother posting here because no one will take you seriously. Work hard and only post when you have something to show for your work that you want comments or help on. Read the forum description: this is not a recruiting forum!"

The Knight
King of Men

#6 Post by The Knight » Wed May 19, 2004 11:43 pm

BTW, I'm remaking all of Sierra's AGI games into VGA with SPEECH! I'll have all of them done sometime tomorrow. :p

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#7 Post by Klytos » Wed May 19, 2004 11:58 pm

Excellent Knight! Can I help Beta test KQ1.

The Knight
King of Men

#8 Post by The Knight » Thu May 20, 2004 1:15 am

No, but I do need an artist. Can you remake every graphic from the AGI games to VGA, and send them to me in an hour? :p

Farsight
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Farsight » Thu May 20, 2004 4:56 am

It's obvious you guys are mocking me but I don't care!!!
BTW I actually was waiting until she gave up on Indiana Jones so I could continue work on the SQ2 project with her.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#10 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu May 20, 2004 1:01 pm

Farsight wrote:It's obvious you guys are mocking me but I don't care!!!
BTW I actually was waiting until she gave up on Indiana Jones so I could continue work on the SQ2 project with her.
WAIT?!? Knight wasn't serious? :evil

But I stayed up all night redrawing KQ5 graphics in EGA versions!!! :hat

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Thu May 20, 2004 1:20 pm

Okay, people, could we please go by the guideline of "if it isn't constructive, don't bother to post it"?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Thu May 20, 2004 1:27 pm

It's cool ok? Don't let your enthusiasm be inhibited by a few tasteless remarks, cause you'll need it when you get futher in the process.

susanb
Peasant Status

#13 Post by susanb » Thu May 20, 2004 1:59 pm

Farsight wrote:It's obvious you guys are mocking me but I don't care!!!
I take offence to that...

I will do both, or at least try. If you want us to work together, even better.
We'll get things done quicker that way. Email if so.

HA. Its offical. SQ2 remake is in production.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Thu May 20, 2004 2:06 pm

What are the two of you specializing in, btw?

The Knight
King of Men

#15 Post by The Knight » Thu May 20, 2004 4:45 pm

We're not mocking you per se. We're mocking the people who say they're going to remake (Insert Game Title(s) here.), set unrealistic release dates/goals, and never deliver. ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Thu May 20, 2004 5:01 pm

Then perhaps we can postpone the smart remarks until it's clear they won't deliver.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#17 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu May 20, 2004 6:21 pm

Erpy wrote:Then perhaps we can postpone the smart remarks until it's clear they won't deliver.

I think people still feel the lingering spirit of Jodo Kast. Though, definitely, we should be nicer. Best of luck to you susan and Farsight! :D

The Knight
King of Men

#18 Post by The Knight » Thu May 20, 2004 6:24 pm

I think people still feel the lingering spirit of Jodo Kast.
There's been plenty of others. Just ask the people over at the AGS forums. ;)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu May 20, 2004 8:30 pm

Sue, Farsight.....

I do just go "Oh, here's another one to announce....." and I watch as they declare their grand intentions to remake a classic. Now, nothing would make me happier than to see it done, really. I just think bombastic intention posting makes you seem less worthy.

Farsight, I've seen the effort you're putting into practising your graphic making skills in your posts at AGS. You're coming along great, keep practising! Remember, though, remaking the backgrounds is really just a small part of a remake. There are MANY sprites to do, and subtle animations.

Sue, even having a walking animation of Roger is only a start. There are so many little funny animations you'll have to do yourself..... finding them is another matter altogether. Perhaps if I knew you, I'd share.

Bt

susanb
Peasant Status

Sq2

#20 Post by susanb » Fri May 21, 2004 6:06 pm

I do backgrounds and programming. My Indy project is being drawn by other people, and I prefer to leave that to them. In the meanwhile, I'm drawing SQ2. I don't like starting things and not finishing them, and SQ2 has been bothering me, so I agreed to carry on with it.

Thanks to those who wished me luck. BTW, amberfisharts has disappeared. It looks like they were shut down. What a pity, they were progressing so well with their game. Another down side is that they were my webpage hosts. I'm going to have to find another site. Boo hoo.

I would show my backgrounds so far, but I don't have a website to get them from.

I'll post an update on my progress in a while. Think happy thoughts. Dont be so negative about people finishing their games. Have faith etc....

Oh, and thanks Broomie for the help.

Farsight
Peasant Status

#21 Post by Farsight » Fri May 21, 2004 7:54 pm

susanb....
I was one of the original people to email you and ask to help because I was a HUGE SQ fan and I had a good handle on scripting. You said you had started the Indiana Jones game so I gave up and tried to make it myself. But as you might have seen in the AGS forums, I'm not the best of artists :o . But now you say you're going ahead with the project I'm still willing to help.

susanb
Peasant Status

Sq

#22 Post by susanb » Sat May 22, 2004 7:03 am

Hmm...

Justin? Is that you?

Ok, I would like you to help. Are you sure you can't draw? I'm terrible at drawing bushes and trees, and most of SQ2 is in the forest. Damn...

Seeing that amberfisharts is gone, you wouldn't happen to have a website we could use, do you?

Farsight
Peasant Status

#23 Post by Farsight » Sun May 23, 2004 8:22 am

No I don't have a website but as I have said is I can 'make a website' but I don't know where to host it. Also I can draw.... just not very good at it. But I guess I'll just have to improve. BTW yes it is me!! :D

deltamatrix
Knight Status

Re: Sq2

#24 Post by deltamatrix » Sun May 23, 2004 11:07 pm

susanb wrote:amberfisharts has disappeared. It looks like they were shut down. What a pity, they were progressing so well with their game. Another down side is that they were my webpage hosts. I'm going to have to find another site.
Have they seriously shut down and cancelled their indy project? If they have, they must have decided to disappoint us over night.

Farsight
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Farsight » Tue May 25, 2004 4:49 am

Yeah...
It appears it has. :cry I checked it out and it didn't work.
Now what?