How did you made digital music to KQ remakes?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

How did you made digital music to KQ remakes?

#1 Post by JLM5 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:20 pm

How is made the digital music and music pack to KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA?

In generally, what would be the best way to make digital music to adventure games?

Is there available some programs for this use?

Radiant
Knight Status

Music

#2 Post by Radiant » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:52 am

1. Ask Erpy :) oh wait, you just did.
2. your best choices are MIDI (which basically implements an electric piano for the computer) and MP3 (the common format for ripped CD-music). Also there's OGG which is similar to MP3 but compresses slightly better and has no usage restrictions related to patent.
MIDI-files are a LOT smaller than MP3s, but the latter sound better. It's an issue of size vs. quality.

3. Yes. Lots, actually. Try this link.

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Jenkins Loo » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:27 pm

I think I know what you could search in google: Music Studio. I had only electronic music on atari and it was edited by Activision. That program allow you to decide the octave, how high you want or atwhich you want your music and each music instrument got its color on your muscis score... But you will judge if you like or not; try typing "Activision" first and check if Music Studio is mentionned, it could help you to find out if the copyrights changed of side and which version is correct. If you don't find it, try "Music Studio". You could download a demo and try to buy it if you like. I don't know by which words google recognize the programs that allow you to create your music but I'm sure there are many other programs of that kind I think :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:33 pm

I believe Tom recorded the pieces on his MT-32 sound module. I'm not certain what kind of software he uses.

wendymaree
Peasant Status

#5 Post by wendymaree » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:50 pm

With software sequencers like Cakewalk, or the more modern version, Sonar, you can make your own midi or mp3 music. You don't need any additional hardware, software or instruments. However, if you don't have a midi keyboard, unless you use loops (and there are plenty available free over the internet) you need to have some knowledge of writing music.

I've written and arranged a few scores just using Cakewalk, loops and a Creative Live! soundcard for the soundfonts.