King's Quest III+ (call for testers!)

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Radiant
Knight Status

King's Quest III+ (call for testers!)

#1 Post by Radiant » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:13 pm

Hi there,

KQ3 enhanced!! Well, it had to happen sooner or later :)
I've been working on an enhanced version of the Sierra classic King's Quest III. The game has now progressed to a playable stage, and I would really appreciate everybody's opinion of it. In particular, that of testers and proofreaders.

This first public version allows you to play most of Llewdor, about fifty rooms or so. The plot has been enhanced and deepened (which is one of the things I'd like feedback on). Also there are more puzzles, and less items just lying on the floor. And Manannan is as bad as ever.
KQ3+ was created with AGS. uses the original AGI graphics (with a few new ones), but has a mouse-driven interface. Also, the music sounds a lot better in MIDI than it ever did on your PC speaker.

Just a meg and a half! Downloadable version here.

(includes teleport cheat and the usual debugging features, with Insta-Logging (tm) as well)
Please find some bugs for me? Thanks!

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by LucasFan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:48 pm

You're a dead man, Radiant.

Alliance
Knight Status

#3 Post by Alliance » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:31 pm

Well, I'd be interested in beta testing, but why don't you improve the graphics a bit? And Lucasfan, will your KQ3 remake game be beta testing anytime soon? Send your beta games to me at webspider202@hotmail.com so I can try 'em out.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Big Bug

#4 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:18 pm

I've got a good-size bug for you, Radiant; I keep getting Manannan to show up RIGHT AWAY and zap Gwydion, claiming I have dangerous ingredients. Rather annoying to no even get out of the primary room or acquire any items before getting blasted...

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#5 Post by fluxmaster » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:02 am

I love it!!! One thing that I like right away is that there is a day and night cycle. Here is one thing that I would improve:

[spoiler]When Alexander looks through the telescope at the sky at night, it would be better if there were real constellations to look at. Perhaps your intention was that, since Llewdor is not on earth, the constellations would not be the same as seen from earth. I suppose that makes sense, but I would still like to see real constellations. Perhaps you could, in some subtle way, point out the star or gallaxy where earth is located. This is only a minor point--I'm sure that I'll love the game--but it was the first thing that I thought of.[/spoiler]

wendymaree
Peasant Status

#6 Post by wendymaree » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:29 pm

I'm downloading now and I'll proofread and test. But not to worry if more than one version of enhanced KQ3 appears. I'm sure KQ fans would be delighted to play as many versions as possible. For one thing it's fascinating to see what other people can do with these great games that are always fun, especially if updated and enhanced, and from a designer's perspective, it's a learning experience.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#7 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:40 pm

Nobody has mentioned LucasFan's response...

8o

Relight
Archival Expert

#8 Post by Relight » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:42 pm

He's either joking, or he's dead serious. If he's dead serious - don't worry, we don't allow death threats on this board. If he's taking too long to release his own version, that's just his own fault!

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by dreammaster » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:49 pm

Alliance, even a low-resolution remake it a great step. Because it means that the creator has already taken care of all the progamming related issues in AGS (or whatever engine), and got any plot extensions working properly before investing all the time in drawing high resolution screens (since the original's screens can be quickly used).

Then, later on, only each and every graphic and screen only needs replacing with a high-resolution version. This could be done by multiple artists when they have the time. If I were an artist, I'd certainly prefer working on a project which I knew already had a fully completed version, as opposed to working on one that might never be finished.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:49 pm

Rambaldi The Baddasssss wrote: No one'es mentioned LF's response.
Relight wrote:He's either joking, or he's dead serious. If he's dead serious - don't worry, we don't allow death threats on this board. If he's taking too long to release his own version, that's just his own fault!
Radiant's is an AGI remake, not a VGA remake.

Bt

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by LucasFan » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:22 pm

If he's taking too long to release his own version, that's just his own fault!
ROFL. I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about. All I know is that AGD1 said KQ3 is her favorite adventure and more than 700 people voted for KQ3 in Tierra's "next remake poll". Maybe his helps you to understand the sentence. It's quite strange to think that a LucasArts Fan would mind if someone does a KQ3-remake. :lol

PS.: My favorite quote from that poll: "I WILL be your love slave if you re-make KQ3." :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:38 pm

He probably wasn't necessarily adressing AGDI only. Perhaps there are other people in this world yearning for love slaves.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#13 Post by fluxmaster » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:40 pm

Bug report: A couple of bugs that I've noticed:

When there is a caption at the bottom of the screen that's more than two lines long, the third and subsequent lines cannot be read.

On the inventory screen, when I click the eye icon on the . . . , [spoiler]jar of water[/spoiler] it says, "*Error* no message for 'look at . . . ' [spoiler]jar of water[/spoiler] (log me please)

Do I have to log either or both of these bugs, or is it sufficient to report them here?

Zeus
Knight Status

#14 Post by Zeus » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:13 pm

lucasfan you must open your horizonts and explore new dimensions of your capabilities. Make the surprise and present a kq3 remake. Prove them all that you can do it AGDI-way and much better than them.

Let people boo at AGDIs version of kq3 when they will compare it with yours! So you would have done the impossible : humiliate the whole AGDI team!!!

No need to to draw pictures with graham relieving himself
in the toilet of larry 1 or laura having s.. with colonel in order to humiliate them. There is a much better way to AGDIs Waterloo : show them how a LUCAFAN can remake a SIERRA game with greater quality than SIERRAFANS version!!! ;)

============================================
RADIANT : you MUST complete your hard work you invested so much of your time with vga pictures! IT is a must for optimum results! well done! Bravo.
Why don't you put the icons at the upper part of screen ? It is more like a sierra in this way.

(i waited for the spaceship of roger wilco to appear when i grabbed the telescope and heard the tune. you should complete the easter egg! ;)
Last edited by Zeus on Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#15 Post by dreammaster » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:13 am

It may be better to keep all the bug reports in the one place, in the AGS Forums, rather than have it split between the AGS Forums and here. In addition to keeping it centralised, you'll be able to see bugs that other people have posted, so you don't keep repeating the same issues

Relight
Archival Expert

#16 Post by Relight » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:50 am

LucasFan wrote:ROFL. I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about.
I just figured, between the screenshots you were always posting, and your death threat, that maybe despite your name you just might be working on your own version of KQ3.

Ah... but I misinterpreted your statement. You thought that AGDI would make Radiant a dead man!
Zeus wrote:Let people boo at AGDIs version of kq3...
Did I miss something here? Erpy, did you start a KQ3 project with Fribbi in the LSL3 thread when I wasn't looking?

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by LucasFan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:38 am

Relight wrote:Did I miss something here? Erpy, did you start a KQ3 project with Fribbi in the LSL3 thread when I wasn't looking?
Ha, I'm sure you already made a cool 3Dsmax mesh of Mannanan's house. :)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#18 Post by Gronagor » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:34 am

If everybody loves KQ3 so much why don't you guys start an open-team?? Lucasfan created a bunch of the screens already... steal it from him. He can't proof it's his, since he IS a Lucas fan.

I wish you guys would get off KQ! QfG is the way to go!!!

(But... that's impressive Radiant.)

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#19 Post by Swift » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:13 am

Gronagor wrote:Lucasfan created a bunch of the screens already... steal it from him. He can't proof it's his, since he IS a Lucas fan.
LOL. How true! And it's such a good idea! ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:58 am

And with that, let's get back to the original topic of this thread.

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by LucasFan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:04 am

Well, I don't know what you did, but we did discuss about KQ3. So if you really want to support Radiant, it would be a good idea to answer his questions in the other thread first. :p ;)

Zeus
Knight Status

#22 Post by Zeus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:05 am

he does too many exercises as a punishment. I almost slept yesterday while i was waiting for him to finish. Did he get steroids ?
maybe you should reduce the exercise length!

Zeus
Knight Status

#23 Post by Zeus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:07 am

LucasFan wrote:Well, I don't know what you did, but we did discuss about KQ3. So if you really want to support Radiant, it would be a good idea to answer his questions in the other thread first. :p ;)
hm you are right. I noticed a mysterious lack of response at his question

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#24 Post by Erpy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:22 am

Well, I don't know what you did, but we did discuss about KQ3. So if you really want to support Radiant, it would be a good idea to answer his questions in the other thread first.
Hardly anything about his version, be it bug reports or general criticism, mostly rants about KQ3-remakes other than his. At least, in the posts more near the bottom.

And er...Not that it has any relevance to this topic, but I sent him a PM this morning. I could repeat my request stated in my previous post, but I 'm certain you guys can locate the scroll wheel of your mouse on your own, hmmm?

Zeus
Knight Status

#25 Post by Zeus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:48 am

i can locate the wheel of my mouse...but houston i have got a problem.
I cannot move it!!!
I GOT A FLAT TYRE OF MY WHEEL MOUSE!!!! :lol

back to topic : radiant i think that you could do a minor retouch for
beggining by increasing the resolution (or use the same ) of original pictures and only smooth the lines of each picture. It takes a 3 minute job for each picture.
It could provide a quite acceptable result with the least effort (until you find a free artist for creating the vga nackgrounds).What do you think?

(i could provide you with a 3 minute example of mine to see the optical results if you want. Just tell me.)