Interesting article about adventure game making

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

rugged
Defense Minister Status

Interesting article about adventure game making

#1 Post by rugged » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:18 am

Most people here probably visit just adventure but here is a link that was posted in the state of adventures

http://www.grumpygamer.com/2152210

What do you think of the article ?

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#2 Post by Swift » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:49 am

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing the link, rugged.

Still haven't finished reading yet. Might comment on it later.

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:28 am

There is much wisdom there.

Snarky
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Snarky » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:41 pm

Heh. I've been quietly working on an article working-titled "Monkey Island teaches you everything you need to know about adventure game design". Turns out I needn't have bothered. Good design is not done by accident, boys and girls. Just look at the intro to TSOMI to see Ron Gilbert's first two rules demonstrated:

Guybrush: Hi! My name's Guybrush Threepwood, and I want to be a pirate!
Lookout: Yikes! Don't sneak up on me like that!
Guybrush: Er... I'm over this way.
Lookout: Ah! Well, then, Thriftweed--
Guybrush: THREEPWOOD. Guybrush THREEPWOOD.
Lookout: I see. So you want to be a pirate, eh? You look more like a flooring inspector. But if you're serious about pirating, go talk to the pirate leaders. You'll find them in the Scumm bar.
Guybrush: Gosh, thanks! I'll do that. Bye, now. I'm off to seek my fortune!
Lookout: Good luck.
Guybrush: Um... Where did you say those pirate leaders were?
Lookout: The SCUMM BAR.
Guybrush: Right. Thanks.

Part One: The Three Trials

In the very first line of dialogue, Guybrush's ultimate goal (at least for the time being) is established: he wants to be a pirate. After some banter (which establishes what he has to overcome: he's a bit of a dork with a funny name and a less-than-fearsome demeanor), the first sub-goal is explained: "Go talk to the pirate leaders. You'll find them in the Scumm bar." Finally, this instruction is repeated in case the player missed it the first time.

Each of the other rules (except arguably the "reverse puzzle" one) is embodied in TSOMI. Maybe there are better adventure games, but none could be more instructive in the art of adventure game design.

Janik
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Janik » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:48 pm

I've been playing "Runaway: A road adventure" and I like how they implemented some (though not all) of the principles in that article. Notably, if you have a shelf full of tools, you won't pick up randomly Wrench #10 just because 12 screens later you need it - you have to know that you need it before you can pick it up. And most puzzles make perfect sense, as in, hmm I want to do X, I should take Y and Z to activate Q. It is extremely rare (in my case) that I'll think of a solution that makes sense - and that's actually what the game asked of.

That game has too much pixel-hunting though - either hotspots should have been bigger, or the interesting items should be more obvious.

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#6 Post by anathoth8 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:43 am

Did anyone read the arcticle linked from the above article? The discussion is mainly about Gabriel Knight 3, but he brings up a very good point about puzzle solving. Check it out.