A call for artist for a serious project.

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

A call for artist for a serious project.

#1 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:57 am

Hello, everyone.

As many of you know, I am in charge of the KQ4 remake project by Sponge Factory. I've been dead set on doing the entire project myself, however, I think if this project is going to be finished anytime soon, I'll need an artist.

Qualifications:

-Able to produce Sierra style backgrounds with a fresh style.
-Able to modify existing backgrounds to match the style.
-Occasional help with sprites as needed.
-Able to devote free time to project

I've done a lot of backgrounds for the project, but there is still work to be done on them. I'd like to see some experienced artists touch them up to be masterpieces.

I've done a lot of work on the engine for this project, as many may know. I need to concentrate on finishing this engine, and using it to create the game. With the help of an artist, the process should be much smoother, since I know what I have to concentrate on.

This project is a free time project. Since I have a full time job as a software developer over the summer, and during the school year I attend both college and high school, I can understand some flexibility with the amount of time devoted to the project. The artist doesn't have to work day or night, but we can work something out, and see how everything pans out.

This game is not a newbie project. I have developed several game engines in my time, and I work as a programmer as a living. This project will not die. You can visit my website, and see some of the projects that we've finished.

If you can email some examples of your artwork, plus some information about yourself to SpongeFactory@nancycarterdesign.com , I'd appreciate it. Also, remember that this is a free time project. I will be very flexible with whatever schedule you have. This project has seen it's fair share of ups and downs, and I don't expect anything too super-human.

Thanks,

http://www.nancycarterdesign.com/spongefactory

Bryce Covert

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#2 Post by Fribbi » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:01 am

Hey don't look at me. I'm the worst background artist here as you already know now.

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#3 Post by deltamatrix » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:19 am

are you sure? I may b worse.

Relight
Archival Expert

#4 Post by Relight » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:47 pm

No, I suck!

Aw, wait, come on guys, no need to post unhelpful remarks for Muzlak.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:59 pm

I would love to, but

I don't have time with all the projects I'm working on currently,

and I don't think I could make my style fit your backgrounds..... but someone who MAY be able to is KQArtist, if you can still find him around.

He may be able to help out, he's a very good sierra-like artist.

Bt

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#6 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:43 am

I believe he's busy on another project? KQ2.5? Plus, I'm not really looking for anyone to conform to any style at this point. The backgrounds I have done are in need of enough alteration that if his/her style differs much from my own, it won't really add extra work, if that makes sense.

The Knight
King of Men

#7 Post by The Knight » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:47 am

Hands down, I'm the worse artist on the forums. ;)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#8 Post by Fribbi » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:43 am

:rollin Now that's so funny! I have a competitors against me now. :rollin

I'm just lucky now to know I'm not the only one here who has this bad artist style. :o

Is anybody else here who wants to join "The bad artist style club" with me now? :lol

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:00 am

I don't know about that, but I do know that filling this thread with "I'm a bad artist"-posts can't be really productive.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#10 Post by Klytos » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:27 am

I am such a bad artist that I can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

Muzlak, BlackThorne had a great idea about talking to KQArtist, if he's willing to help out, cause I think I saw a KQ4 pic he did when he was working on Quest for Infamy.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:08 pm

Muzlack,

I'll send KQArtist an email with your email address..... so he can get in touch with you, if you want.

Bt

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#12 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:51 pm

Just don't make any tasteless jokes, Muzlak. 8o

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:41 pm

I'd ask you for examples, but I have this hunch that would equel me asking you to violate the forum rules.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#14 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:59 pm

Erpy wrote:I'd ask you for examples, but I have this hunch that would equel me asking you to violate the forum rules.
In more ways than one! :lol

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:00 am

Again, examples of where one-liners aren't needed. This WAS a serious thread by Muzlack to find help for his project. Now it's cluttered with crap.

Anyway, Muzlack, I sent KQArtist an email detailing your post, hopefully he'll contact you. Good luck.

Bt

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#16 Post by Fribbi » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:44 am

I don't know about that, but I do know that filling this thread with "I'm a bad artist"-posts can't be really productive.
Erpy why are you always so serious here. It was just a joke. Of course I wouldl never ask for that. Well to be honest I am just working now on my own project alone. So I am really busy now. I hope someone can help you Muzlack. Nobody is helping me with the backgrounds but only when I have a problem with the codes I ask for help.

The only problem I have now is I don't know how to change money amount like when the character has a 10 dollar and I give or buy for only 1 dollar and the dollar change to 9 dollar in my inventory. I mean I don't know how to change the amount of money so I can display a message like "You got 9 dollar left"!..."You got 8 dollar left" and etc and etc.

If anyone can help me with that, answer it then in "How to make Larry laffer 3 by Fribbi and Erpy" thread because I like to keep those code there instead for searching for them in many places. Thanks!

Radiant
Knight Status

Yep,

#17 Post by Radiant » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:20 pm

Oh and yes, KQA is still with our KQ2.5 project. Which is still going steady, in case people were wondering, only (like AGDI) we don't believe in posting overly many updates.
And I just would like to point out that I can't draw either.
:)

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#18 Post by Boogeyman » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:44 pm

And I can't draw AT ALL!

MuzlakOofmay, why are you writing your own engine instead of using AGS?

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#19 Post by Fribbi » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:41 pm

Ok I admit I can draw because I got A+ 3 times when I was in gradeschool. But because lately I have only drawed with my stupid computer mouse it is has been so difficult for me to draw everything with it. So I am going to buy a computer pen in next months so I can draw much better sprites, background and just everything. Because it is much better to draw then and it fits me perferctly...I think. I just hope it will speed me on those works.

What tools does AGD 1 use when she is making those games anyway?

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#20 Post by Swift » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:47 pm

Fribbi, have you considered getting a tablet pc? I find it easier to draw on the screen than to draw using one of the conventional tablets, but that's just my opinion.

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#21 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:17 pm

Boogeyman wrote:And I can't draw AT ALL!

I've been programming for ten years. At this point, is is definately within my capabilities to develop my own engine. In the end, my engine probably won't be much different from AGS, but the point is that it would be a step down from some of the stuff I do to use an existing engine.

I'm not trying to brag about my skills, nor am I saying that using AGS is easy- of course it's not. Either way, there will be several headaches. But developing the engine myself truly challenge me.

And yeah, I would appreciate it if the one liners could stop.

Thanks everyone.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#22 Post by 1eyedParrot » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:03 pm

MuzlakOofmay wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:And I can't draw AT ALL!

I've been programming for ten years. At this point, is is definately within my capabilities to develop my own engine. In the end, my engine probably won't be much different from AGS, but the point is that it would be a step down from some of the stuff I do to use an existing engine.

I'm not trying to brag about my skills, nor am I saying that using AGS is easy- of course it's not. Either way, there will be several headaches. But developing the engine myself truly challenge me.

And yeah, I would appreciate it if the one liners could stop.

Thanks everyone.
AGS is good, but it doesn't support dynamic memory alloc or global ADTs. That in itself is a large hinderance to any semi-complex game, good luck with the engine Muzlak.

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#23 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:13 am

Even though it hasn't sunken much, I'll bump this thread.

Maybe I should post at an artists forum or something.