Arcade Sequences in AGS

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Arcade Sequences in AGS

#1 Post by Klytos » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:56 am

Hello Ever Faithful Programmers Who Know More Than Me,

I was playing SQ3 a few minutes ago and I was up to that part in the game where, at the very end, Roger is being followed by the fighters as he tries to escape from GlobalSoft (or whatever they called Microsoft in the game). Anyone have any ideas on how that would be scripted in AGS?

Also, the part where the giant robots attack each other, any thoughts on how you'd do that?

These are the thoughts that travel through my ever-so-screwed-up mind.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:19 am

Thinking of taking on yet another project?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#3 Post by Klytos » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:29 am

Hell no! I have enough on my plate as it is. Though KQ3 is about 98% scripted before I told even IA team-members about it, so there's not much to do there. But, no, I'm definetly not doing a remake of SQ3. I was just stuffing around playing the game and my mind started to turn on how that would be able to be done in AGS.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#4 Post by Peter Swinkels » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:29 am

by the fighters as he tries to escape from GlobalSoft (or whatever they called Microsoft in the game
It was called Scumsoft, I am also no too sure if Scumsoft was a parody of Microsoft...

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Pidgeot » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:43 am

It's generally regarded as a Microsoft parody, though I believe they also tried to strike a jab at LucasArts (due to LA's system, SCUMM).

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:42 am

As a general rule, arcade sequences contain an obscene amount of code, so I doubt anyone's going to post that much.

Now, the Nukem Dukem bots are simply two characters who can perform a punch animation and a block animation. If the enemy bot is in range (his x is a certain amount of pixels away from your x and his y is, say, a maximum of 5 pixels lower or higher than your y), a punch animation will transfer his health over to yours IF he didn't block. (as the punch animation starts and the enemy bot is in range, a random-line should determine whether Elmo's gonna block or not) Make Elmo's bot wander around the arena, preferable into your general direction. Use a random-line to trigger his punch whenever you're in his range.

The space battle consists of two different "attack phases". If they come from the front, you can only raise the front shields and brace for the hit. If one comes from the back, raise the rear shields and after the hit, make the ship-object/character move randomly through the rader screen for a limited time. Make the controllable object/char appear (the crosshair) and make it follow the directions of the cursor keys. When it moves over the ship-sprite (build in a few pixels as a buffer), block the direction-controls and make the crosshair follow the ship. Press fire to blow it to smithereens, then rinse and repeat.