Any artist want to be apart of a life changing game?

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Any artist want to be apart of a life changing game?

#1 Post by Music Head » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:52 am

Ok, I got a totally far out wakkers idea. For a game which i want to go through with. One prob i suck at drawing. Well i'm not too bad see here http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~sandersd/mypic.GIF
Thats two days worth of efort. Anyway if you wanna draw i need a style like QFG1 vga actually exactly. For the games will be quite similiar. Don't wanna give too much away. Thanks you guys.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Alias » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:50 am

Ha! Good luck with that, I would help, but I'm already working on 4 projects (one is mine) and I hardly have time for my own social life, I havent played a game in weeks because I'm so busy, once one of my projects finish I might take on another, or spend more time with mates, TV & what I love most playing adventure games. Even a 17 year old can play games! :lol

Well I wish you best of luck, and what you told me over msn, I dont think that this plot has potential at all, sorry, but not every one can write, some do art some do programming, but your really need an original idea, that is not only original but works.

Those are my 2 cents like it or not! :|

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:11 am

(sigh) Time to enter diplomatic mode once more. I'm amazed people still fall in the "great idea"-trap. Perhaps I should explain. I understand it's not polite to snicker at your post, but I must admit I did so anyway. (nothing demeaning)

Every person in the world has at least one "great idea" that would form a part of what they conclude will also be a great game. That's the first misunderstanding newbies have about game design...that an idea is sufficient to form a basis for an entire game. The truth is that a game should be based on an entire design document that describes the entire main structure of the project. Contents include short plot synopsis, main character descriptions, setting description etc... Without the fundaments of the project set in stone, not a single worker is going to join.

Another mistake is to create a post stating that you're going to create "the next big thing" the minute you decide you want to be a game designer. Regular visitors here will smell the classic "n00by gayme dezigner"-post from a mile away and most of the time they'll snicker at you or mock you. After all, they already know that project will never get off the ground. A bit of browsing through this forum shows that you weren't the first one.

Also, people aren't just going to work FOR someone. They prefer to work WITH someone. If someone can't draw, can't program, can't compose and can't write professional dialogues/stories, there's not much of a point in joining a game project. And in case you think "manager/director" means you get to sit in the big chair and watch as others do all the work...think again because managing a project is one hell of a job that can cause a lot of headaches and stress.

I suggest reading through this forum a bit more and learn more about the do's and dont's of game developing. Finally, don't forget the most important rule of all...OVERAMBITION KILLS. (starting off small pays off better than trying to kill that cave troll with a dagger and average statistics of 15)

(oh yes, and check the grammar in recruiting posts. Typo's and grammar inconsistencies (or consistent grammar errors) turn people off big time.)

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#4 Post by 1eyedParrot » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:46 pm

The faces of Erpy continue to fascinate and amuse me.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Alias » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:44 pm

I agree 100%, I first did loads of research before joining or making a game, Im making one, and joined 3. One more thing is that you must know when to say NO. It helps for me too. :lol

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:20 pm

Erpy, I couldn't have said it better.

Making a game means doing LOTS of homework!

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Alias » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:44 pm

Me, Myself and u > Please dont let us put you off, we just want you to know what you are in for. Its not as easy as playing a finished game. :lol Well anyway thats what I wanted to say. ;)

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#8 Post by Music Head » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:13 am

k.

Game Overview
In the game you will be reqiured to complete quests. Some main others don't need to do. When you complete the main quest you will gety a added ability. For example completing the magic quest will give you magic powers. At the start of the game you only have one charector to choose from but they will be able to learn new skills as the game progresses. Pretty much like QFG.

Locations
The game will be divided into section like there will be an overall map of the country. A game as big QFG1 will be in the valley of the map. I'll proberly keep all the bgs from QFG1 and use them for he valley. So it will be like heaps of games in one. Each location will play a key role in each quest.

I know his isn't too discriptive but i think it's enoiugh for a pretty idea of what the game will be like.

PS. Rog i sort off lied on MSN i don't have a complete plan but over 50% has been though out and written down (not here).

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Alias » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:30 am

Why did you lie? I wouldent tell anyone or anything. Anyways no prb and good luck! :D

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#10 Post by Fribbi » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:26 pm

The faces of Erpy continue to fascinate and amuse me.
That is because he still has the cute young boys outlook and like most of those cartoon's characters like the Simpsons Family they never get older.

Even Donald Duck don't look 70 year old to me bwhahahaha. :lol

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:04 am

^^^ good one. I have AGS on my computer and i thought it'd be funny to see if i made one crappy room and some real stupid pictures for the ppl and all you could do was talk to these people. There would be the BT saying GODDAMN I HATE EVERYTHING...maybe not women O YES I HATE WOMEN or maybe not O YES I DO an you'll decide to leave him to his soul searching. It was called a Tribute To AGS Forums. and i had a crappy hilarious background and said MY GOD THIS IS WORK? I QUIT. Since then i have never opened AGS... this was like 3 months ago if anyone cares

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#12 Post by Erpy » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:53 am

In an attempt to get the thread back on topic...here is a thread that shows how to really ask for help with projects.

Cain Aleksandrovich
Knight Status

#13 Post by Cain Aleksandrovich » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:51 am

I'll join on two consitions.

1. I need time to finish my game Mordavian Knights and the project I took over: LBCB2004.

2. I have to be a sequel planner.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Cyrus
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Cyrus » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:52 pm

Hmm, doesen't seem like too long ago I had came here with the whole "My computer got struck by lightning!" Idea, and trying to get anyone who was willing to help a "freind in need" on my project that was well...more or less in the negatives...

Anyhow man, don't just say what you're wanting, make a story, incorporate the quests within the story, and see if anyone's willing to help you realize your dream.

I myself would LOVE to play a multiplayer version of QFG someday... but unless I become determined, and decide to actually go through the whole process of even TRYING to make such a game, this dream will always and forever be just a dream.

Good luck with the game man, God bless, and may you realize your dreams.