SQ4.5 Engine

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

SQ4.5 Engine

#1 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:41 pm

I was wandering what engine SQ4.5 used? the project is dead now but I have a demo in my archives they are a .EXE files so I cant tell what they use? Also the demo does not work on modern PC for some reason? It crashes. Thanks.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#2 Post by Klytos » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:25 am

SQ4.5? Do you mean QFG4.5? I've never heard of a SQ4.5, it'd be hard to take a pisstake of a comedy game...

QFG4.5 used AGS, same as Tierra did for KQ1, KQ2 and are using for QFG2, if that answers your question.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:32 am

There was probably a fangame announced that took place between SQ4 and SQ5 and was never completed. That said, I'm afraid I've never heard of it.

Radiant
Knight Status

sure

#4 Post by Radiant » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:35 am

If the engine doesn't work on modern PCs, why would you want to use it in the first place?
By the way if by 'modern PCs' you mean anything running XP, that doesn't surprise me, as lots 'n lots of games don't work with XP. AGS, luckily, does. Or at least the newer releases do.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Alias » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:56 pm

Heres the link for the demo try it out and tell me what you think? (Right click save as)

Heres a screenshot I found on google on the game:

Try the demo and tell me what Im missing? :cry

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:06 pm

Based on the filenames, it looks like it could be AGS. Also, SQ 4.5 is mentioned on the AGS boards, which supports that theory.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Alias » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:24 am

Can any of you try the demo please? :(

Radiant
Knight Status

Yes

#8 Post by Radiant » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:15 am

It is definitely an AGS game, but from the time of AGS-Dos (and those games are known not to work under XP well).

It is a short intro with a three-room demo. The graphics are repulsive and are a mix of poorly-ripped SQ4 bits, badly VGA'ized SQ3 bits, text drawn on using MS paint Crayon mode, and a SQ3 Roger on steroids. The font is medieval-type and hard to read. You appear from a timehole in front of the SQ4 bar, and upon walking in you seem to notice (hard to tell because of the abhorrent graphics) that everybody inside is dead. Then you can go to the Mallard and hit some buttons. That's it.

It made me realize that it's actually a good thing that some fangames don't go anywhere.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:42 pm

I'll agree with Radiant and say that it's defintely an AGS game, and that it sucks.

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Alias » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:05 pm

I think I'll fix my old PC then try out the demo, sounds bad but we are mostly amateurs. but from what I hear sounds like a 9 year olds job. :lol

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by dreammaster » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:26 am

You could always rely on DOSBOX to run the game under XP. I haven't tried it personally, but I have every confidence that it'd work.

Paradox
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Paradox » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:17 am

I tried out the file you linked and fine it ran for me. I'm running XP with SP1.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Alias » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:28 am

DAM IT! I hate technologie! :lol

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#14 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:58 pm

really, don't bother. It's not worth it at all. It's a BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD,BAD, BAD fan game. It sucks. It royally blows animal anus. It sucks. It's crap. I could make a better game in five minutes.

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Alias » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:02 pm

Well it cant be that bad. ;)

Gav
Knight Status

#16 Post by Gav » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:29 pm

Just take his word for it, you stupid mofo

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:49 pm

Gav, would you mind watching your language a bit, please?

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Alias » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:38 am

Sheesh whats your problem? :o

Anyway, I'll just wait for my old PC to get fixed.

PS- Can someone tell me hoe to use DosBox? I hear its good but I've never worked those old DOS format PC's I came in when windows started well I was just a kid so my brother typed everything for me! :lol

Zeus
Knight Status

#19 Post by Zeus » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:15 am

the ....'''''game'''' run ok with XP in my machine.
You do not miss anything. It is not a game.
It shows a ripped picture of space bar, a heavily distorted picture of the inner place, and roger is silly with this style. Not to mention the inclination
he has when he is walking. I wonder who thought to have a sprite of a body-builder for playing the role of a janitor...

About the dosbox, i am afraid that dosbox usage is not your problem.
Your problem is the ignorance of basic msdos commands. Visit your local library, get a book on dos and learn the basics.
However to play a game, you only need to learn change directory-drive commands dir command and type the name of com or exe or bat file.
It is everything cool. You do not have to learn for example edlin commands to store text as some people did in old days of dos 3.
(or VI editor during first year's unix university courses) :rolleyes

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:32 am

About the dosbox, i am afraid that dosbox usage is not your problem.
Your problem is the ignorance of basic msdos commands. Visit your local library, get a book on dos and learn the basics.
However to play a game, you only need to learn change directory-drive commands dir command and type the name of com or exe or bat file.
Why would someone visit the library and get a book just to start one single file in the command prompt? If I posted a question regarding the use of a program, "visit the library" is probably the last answer I'd need to hear. Back in the DOS days, knowing the DOS syntax was a requirement for PC use, but nowadays you don't need it unless you want to pull off some advanced stuff.

Perhaps we'll save some time if we just mention that in order to mount a directory to a virtual drive letter in Dosbox, you use the line "mount c d:\sq4_5" where d:\sq4_5 is to be replaced by the directory name of the game. Then type "c:" to switch to this virtual drive and type "Sq4_5" (or whatever the name of the exe-file is) to start. At least, that's what I do when I run a program in my version of DOSBox.

Zeus
Knight Status

#21 Post by Zeus » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:08 am

because i have already told him how to mount the drive in a previous answer of mine
viewtopic.php?p=147657&highlight=#147657

, and he had STILL problems. Having still problems means
that 99% he wants to do extra stuff with DOS, more than a CD command. SO,If he wants to learn extra stuff dos, then renting a book from a library is the best option. Reading a good book with good examples is the best you can do in these cases. Personally i avoid reading e-books, or printing e-books.

He did not described exactly what are his problems, so we can make only assumptions of course.

However i have already told him that he needs knowing CD , DIR commands for playing games. Well Rog if your problems were only the
CD command syntax, then you got me. I did not expect that, so i will hide
in my cavern again.salute.

PS : no need to be edgy for such things.....other things matter more, such as some dirty minded people who post that they have big p**** (they wish they had...if they had, they would not need to write this ;) )

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:02 am

I'm not edgy, I just figured your response was perhaps not the most helpful one in the world. After all, if we're gonna resort to "visit the library" or "search the internet" as answers, we're gonna have a lot of similar looking threads on the boards. ;)

(besides, one of the people you referred to now has his username as a trophy on my ban list and the other one came THIS close (holds thumb and index finger not too far apart) to becoming his direct neighbour on said list. So yes, we HAVE been dealing with that issue.)

Zeus
Knight Status

#23 Post by Zeus » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:56 pm

lol yes my suggestion 'go to a library' was made in despair because
of not being sure what he wants, after telling him how to mount.

he has just to be more specific, and tell us exactly what his problems
are. No one can antagonize Sams publicing house and write a manual with title 'teach yourself DOS in one post'. :lol

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#24 Post by Alias » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:22 pm

Uh? Thanks I think? :|

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:37 pm

Erpy wrote:I'm not edgy, I just figured your response was perhaps not the most helpful one in the world. ....(besides, one of the people you referred to now has his username as a trophy on my ban list and the other one came THIS close (holds thumb and index finger not too far apart) to becoming his direct neighbour on said list. So yes, we HAVE been dealing with that issue.)
Zeus wrote:PS : no need to be edgy for such things.....other things matter more, such as some dirty minded people who post that they have big p**** (they wish they had...if they had, they would not need to write this )
I don't think things like that matter more; I think it's more offensive when someone acts so damn superior to other people who just need help (even if they ARE a little peckish about it) and then uses sarcastic tones as if to say "Moron. Read the book." That's ruder than someone just posting some stupid pithy saying. A direct attack on one person is much ruder than some generic offensive statement.

Anyway, that said - honestly Rog, this game isn't worth your time. I'll explain, play by play, what this looks like.

1- Bad looking Title Screen Comes up. Half the screen has a badly made logo with someone's face. I couldn't even read what they called themselves. "Something" Games & Sierra Present

2 - Badly colored ripped Space Quest Into Screen, with 4 hand-drawn in MsPaint on the left, .5 written the the right of the logo. Then hand written credits appear overlaying this all saying "Made by Decapitaed Mole" or something.

3 - Roger Spinning through time, as in SQ4, with more handwritten credits.

4 - Then these two screens

There you go. Not worth it. AT all.

Bt