The Sierra VGA Background Remakes Thread

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

joel_reed
Peasant Status

What a tease

#451 Post by joel_reed » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:15 pm

These backgrounds are more than perfect to create a remake for SQ2, so I hope someone will take on the task to start the game. I don't see why this particular thread wouldn't be the base for opperations after it's been viewed nearly 30000 times! With all professionalism aside isn't the point of all this to remake these classic games instead of just showing each other pictures? Afterall ... most of them are already finished ...

adeyke

#452 Post by adeyke » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:48 am

Not going to happen.

The background art is only a tiny of a game.  Even if all backgrounds were completely done, the rest of the game would still take a long, long time.

Also, these backgrounds weren't made for a SQ2 remake; they were made for this thread.  If you wanted to use them in a remake, you'd have to get explicit permission from every contributor.

Also, if you want to create your own game, you'll have to make your own message board.  This forum isn't intended for people to use as a base of operations.

joel_reed
Peasant Status

#453 Post by joel_reed » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:34 am

Shame....

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#454 Post by moonlit » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:14 am

I guess getting permission to use those backgrounds wouldn't be much of a problem (read the start of this thread carefullly for that). Besides who is the copyright holder of these images VU?; if not most pictures where edited by multiple people.

I don't think the backgrounds are a tiny part of the game hoewever there are other things that are a lot of work too, for a remake for instance:

-Get all( or most) of  the possible paths story, dialog from the original game (i.e. reverse engineer the story book).
- Program the engine (you could however use an existing one, still you would have to get aquainted with it).  I worked for almost a year now on my own 2D engine and finally got the basics in place (sound/graphics/dialog editor, recorder/resoure compiler/basics of a programming language that translates to C++).
- Create animations (using a 3D program like blender would be advisable, however it will take you one or two years before really are productive with it).
- Script the game itself

And don't forget the additional stuff you need, website for downloading the game, installation program etc.

Then get permission from VU. All the work might be for nothing in the end if you don't get permission.

A message board is not much of a problem I think. Setting up your own linux/MySQL/PHP/ whatever webforum package is usually only a day's work if starting from a pc with nothing on it.

The real problem is getting people to do all the work for free  :)

Regards, Ron AF Greve

Broomie
The Enigma

#455 Post by Broomie » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:11 pm

All the backgrounds have very different styles anyway, some of them even use 3D elements.

A SQ2 remake would be nice, yet this is just a "show-off" thread rather than an actual threat about the remake of this game.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#456 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:06 pm

Lemme say backgrounds are the EASY part of a remake.  It's the animations and programming that are the meat of the matter.

Bt

joel_reed
Peasant Status

#457 Post by joel_reed » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:50 pm

Although many of the backgrounds vary from each other, I'm certain a standard design is well within reach. From what I've seen from the various artists work, (along JLM5's standardization methods) it can be a solid start to a promising remake. (Although unlikely) I don't think we can thank the people who are responsible for these remakes enough for their work, (IA, and AGD amoung others) so let's just hope there will be more to come.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#458 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:45 pm

joel_reed wrote:Although many of the backgrounds vary from each other, I'm certain a standard design is well within reach. From what I've seen from the various artists work, (along JLM5's standardization methods) it can be a solid start to a promising remake. (Although unlikely) I don't think we can thank the people who are responsible for these remakes enough for their work, (IA, and AGD amoung others) so let's just hope there will be more to come.
It's my hope that other people are inspired to do something like that.  I will say that it IS a lot of work, and be prepared to dedicate a LOT of time to it.  Even remaking a game is hard; it requires a lot of work.  Games don't make themselves!

Bt

razorwire_decimation
Peasant Status

#459 Post by razorwire_decimation » Sat May 13, 2006 1:29 pm

just found this post and i thought id leave some feedback.
very impressived in general.

theres one thing id like to bring up, which was brought up once, but i think
it deserves to be mentioned  again. ok, so as an artist myself i know the importance of maintaining a certain vibe in my art. the vibe i get get from playing space quest 2 is very ominous and haunting. the strange lighting and phosphoric glows are an essential part of the space quest 2 feeling. they not only signify that this planet is not earth, they leave you feeling a bit uneasy about moving around your environment.

that being said, im not trying to insult anyone. i just think some of the frames would fit better in a "kings quest" style game.

my favorite works deffinitely come from:

moonlit - love the hires, and the style in general

khaveen - the astroid looks crazy, the blue green tint is perfect and true to the original

JLM5 - pretty awesome stuff, thought some of didnt make me think of SQ, mainly because of the different lighting and the style felt different, maybe try a brighter palatte and cartoonier style for some of them? (like the style in space quest 5) however by the looks of it you could have been one of the original SCI sierra artists, would have fooled me.

on the topic of space quest 2, a rough version of the game made in AGS, so the player can go from start to finish without much trouble, which people could then take away and keep working on if they pleased. oppinions? wont have time to do it for a couple weeks though, but it might inspire some developers to pick it up.
would deffinitely like to see a full remake one day.

keep it up!! your work inspires me.

cheers

Shabutie
Peasant Status

#460 Post by Shabutie » Sun May 28, 2006 7:50 pm

razor:  just what you've been saying about the art not being all that ominous or foreign feeling...

one, i don't think the art was ever all that ominous to begin with.  it definetly gives you a foreign world feeling.  the art, the music, the story and the suspect of things to kill you, that maybe made it feel slightly ominous.  however, i think, looking back on my old art, that i may redo at least my scenes because they'll look crazy different.  it'll be fun, and it'll also give me a chance to compare my work and how i've grown as an artist.  so stay put for that. =]

Bountice
Peasant Status

#461 Post by Bountice » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:37 am

For those which are interested about a SQ2 VGA game, visit http://www.vohauls-mines.com

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#462 Post by JLM5 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:00 am

Bountice wrote:For those which are interested about a SQ2 VGA game, visit http://www.vohauls-mines.com
Interesting idea!

And where are you going to get the backgrounds for the game? ;)

Bountice
Peasant Status

#463 Post by Bountice » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:08 am

We will make them of course. We already have one background artist. We just have to find some more.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#464 Post by JLM5 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:30 am

Bountice wrote:We will make them of course. We already have one background artist. We just have to find some more.
So you don't need the backgrounds shown in this thread?

Broomie
The Enigma

#465 Post by Broomie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:19 pm

JLM5 wrote:
Bountice wrote:We will make them of course. We already have one background artist. We just have to find some more.
So you don't need the backgrounds shown in this thread?
To be honest, I wouldn't see a problem with that. If it got the fans a Space Quest game quicker then by all means go ahead, it's just if the artists are okay with that.

You could always hire a few touch up artists who could go over the screens just to add simularity in them but if everyone is okay with that, I'd say get crackin' boy!

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#466 Post by JLM5 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:18 pm

Broomie wrote: To be honest, I wouldn't see a problem with that. If it got the fans a Space Quest game quicker then by all means go ahead, it's just if the artists are okay with that.

You could always hire a few touch up artists who could go over the screens just to add simularity in them but if everyone is okay with that, I'd say get crackin' boy!
Yes, at least for my side it is OK. I'm not resisting if those background I have made for this thread are used in SQ2VGA, rather it would be nice to see them fitting to real game. The only condition is, that if they are used, my name must be mentioned in the credits. :)

Bountice
Peasant Status

#467 Post by Bountice » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:14 pm

That would be cool to use some of your backgrounds. especially the one from the beginning. Are everybody ok?

moonlit
Royal Servant Status

#468 Post by moonlit » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Yes.

When will it be finished  ;)

Regards, Ron AF Greve

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#469 Post by JLM5 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:45 pm

I just had to say, that this was a great and interesting thread as a whole. So many people (including myseld) used a lot of time in remaking individual SQ2 screens. Hopefully it was good time for all of them who took part to this thread. For me, the remaking of the screens gave at least much useful information and practice how to make adventure games.

Is there any need for this thread as Infamous Adventures has started to remake SQ2, now? Maybe there is no more need to remake individual screens, after that. :rolleyes

Ok, perhaps it is not very appropriate to wake up old threads too, but this was such a special one, that the final words had to be said.

Now lets just wait for SQ2VGA. :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#470 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed May 16, 2007 2:42 am

We could turn it into a general VGA background remake practice thread instead of just having it for SQ2. This thread doesn't have to die. We just don't have to do SQ2 pics exclusively anymore.

I don't know about anybody else but I'd like this thread to remain once I start doing backgrounds again. I did a KQ3 background a while back and appreciated the feedback I got on it. I'd hate for that to be robbed from others. I'd also hate for so many background threads to clutter up the boards.

I say VGA on!

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#471 Post by Klytos » Wed May 16, 2007 1:20 pm

The point of this thread was to practice artwork. SQ2 was used I think mostly because Blackthorne likes the game.

On another point made in this thread, whatever happened to that Vohaul's Mines game?

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#472 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Wed May 16, 2007 7:32 pm

I don't think it's officially canceled, but the term the creators are using is "indefinite hold". It sounds like the same thing to me, but maybe the project will get going again one day.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#473 Post by Erpy » Wed May 16, 2007 9:41 pm

I think very few projects ever get officially canceled...Khaveen's SQ3 remake and AGDI's SQ2VGA and Royal Quest being among the few exceptions I know of. Most projects simply fade off to the point where the website's expiry date goes by and another search engine page takes its place. It takes a great deal of courage to declare a project officially canceled after feeding its hype in the beginning. That last news update on their site is still a lot more honest than the typical "we're not dead yet...here's a new forum feature to prove it" update.

TribeHasSpoken
Peasant Status

#474 Post by TribeHasSpoken » Wed May 16, 2007 10:23 pm

That's very true. Though I don't think anyone in the Sierra fangame community has yet taken the drastic step of faking their own death (allegedly) to end a project.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#475 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed May 16, 2007 11:14 pm

Instead of just being a Space Quest II VGA thread, I've changed the title to the "SIERRA VGA BACKGROUND REMAKE" thread.

In here we can workshop various backgrounds from Sierra games that we love.

This will provide insight into the artistic process - and it's fun for all involved.  I'll be posting a screen I've been working on.

Bt