Sierra Forest Tutorial

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

adeyke

#26 Post by adeyke » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:26 pm

The path in that scene also looks off, as there's no perspective.

Wolf
Peasant Status

#27 Post by Wolf » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:01 pm

if there are any other errors i might not have noticed i would like to know so that i could remake it while fixing them

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#28 Post by Corby » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:30 am

Very nice work! :)
My background I used for the tutorial had perspective issues, so it's not your fault.

Wolf
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Wolf » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:03 am

o i wouldn't say that, it had more perspective than mine and also i have usually had problems with perspective in much of my artwork

MousePotato
Peasant Status

Photoshop question

#30 Post by MousePotato » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:12 am

I am new here and I am sure I will get flamed for posting an irrelevant question but I have spent three days searching for an answer and I'm not sure where else to look.

<deep breath>

I really loved the forest tutorial (wonderful work, Corby, very inspiring!) and I got started on my own background image, but I had never used Adobe Photoshop Elements before and I made a big mistake.  I began my first tree right on the white background and now I can't make it transparent to let other layers show.  I did read the Adobe help files and I did make a copy of my background so I could move layers behind it, but the white part blocks the layers beneath.  Is there a way to turn that background transparent?  Or do I just need to suck it up like a big girl and start over?

Thanks to anyone who can help and apologies to anyone who is offended at my newbie question.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#31 Post by Swift » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:06 am

You could try copying the whole image first, then create a new file that has a transparent layer. After that, paste that image over the transparent layer. Now, use the magic wand and select the white background and press delete. The white background should disappear. You can then use an eraser to remove whatever white outline that remains. There are probably other ways to remove the white background though.

MousePotato
Peasant Status

#32 Post by MousePotato » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:31 am

I ended up using the copy I'd made and then using the background eraser.  It's a very tedious process to go all around that tree, but I am getting there.  Thanks for your advice.

I have learned two valuable lessons from this.  One - ALWAYS follow directions VERY carefully!  Two - NEVER allow a cat in your lap while following itty bitty branches with the eraser tool!   :lol

Thanks again!

Fizzii
Peasant Status

#33 Post by Fizzii » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:03 am

Technically you don't really have to use layers either, though they make things much easier to fix up/redo and/or remove if necessary. What I personally do is just block out everything in one layer with a big brush, then gradually refine everything down (Though I do use layers, but in a very disordered manner :P)

I personally would've left the tree there and painted around it (Actually, I'd have started with general background colours, as that makes colours for all the objects then easier to pick correctly). 'Mistakes' during the painting process can always be fixed up. :)

gamecreator
Knight Status

#34 Post by gamecreator » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:35 pm

I know he hasn't posted here in a year (and his site is not much better updated) but I wanted to congratulate Corby on his tutorial.  It's very inspiring.