Icelandic translation

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#2 Post by Alias » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:29 pm

Good luck on the speech pack. But AGDI proberly would like a better translation.  ;)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:14 pm

Secondly, I'm also interested in making an icelandic speech-pack, can anyone tell me how to go about making one .
I'm afraid AGDI doesn't support the creation of foreign speech packs.

Regarding the translation, you'll need to contact the Icelandic translator about that. His name is Fribbi and I'm sure you'll find one of his posts somewhere on this forum.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:21 pm

Like I mentioned, I suggest contacting the translator of the current Icelandic translation. I'm fairly positive he still has the template you're talking about and maybe he'll be willing to let you proofread it.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#7 Post by Fribbi » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:11 pm

So another guy from Iceland are here now.

I have the template but I'm not sure if I should give it to him so what shall I do Erpy? I don't even know this man.

I admit I not good in English but I was the only member from Iceland who could do this job.

I hope it is ok I ask him now on my language.

Til Veigars

Jæja þá er ég ekki lengur eini íslendingurinn hér. En það er kannski best að kynna mig. Ég er búinn að vera hér frá upphafi eða síðan spjallið kom fyrst fram. Ég hef því verið eini aðdáandinn sem kemur frá Íslandi. Ég tók að mér að þýða leikinn á íslensku því eins og ég sagði þá var ég sá eini sem kemur frá Íslandi.  Ég veit að ég hefði átt að láta einhvern annan Íslending hjálpa mér við þetta en ég bara þekkti engan til að geta gert það hvað þá að hafa áhuga á því. Ég þýddi leikinn fyrir 4 árum. Það er komið 2 ár síðan ég spilaði síðast leikinn.

Hvernig ætlar þú að fara að því að setja íslenska talsetningu í leikinn? Ertu með síðu þar sem fólk getur fengið að niðurhala slíkt? Ég væri alveg til í að hjálpa þér við talsetninguna ef færið gefst til slíks.

En ég skal athuga málið og athuga hvort ég finn þetta template fyrir þig.

Kveðja Fribbi

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:07 pm

So another guy from Iceland are here now.

I have the template but I'm not sure if I should give it to him so what shall I do Erpy? I don't even know this man.

I admit I not good in English but I was the only member from Iceland who could do this job.

I hope it is ok I ask him now on my language.
That's up to you to decide. (erm, you know how I view foreign messages without english translations, don't you?) But I don't understand what limited knowledge of the English language has to do with spelling capabilities in Icelandic. There shouldn't be any connection, logically speaking.

If he wishes to proofread your translation, you might want to give him the opportunity. I can't check his claim, but if he's right about your translation being full of spelling errors, it may be a good thing to get it double-checked.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#9 Post by Fribbi » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:45 pm

Yes I know. I just thought it would be save if I let you give him the icelandic template. I also want to know what spelling error he is talking about.

Nick
Peasant Status

regarding the IS text

#10 Post by Nick » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:12 pm

Keep forgetting both screenname and passwords... Word of advice - never assume you are the only Icelander.  :)   That goes for restorants as well as forums...

Anyway...I apreciated the Icelandic translation; even though the grammar and spelling could have been better.  Now that you have another active Icelandic user - they might be willing to proofread?!

;)

B.R.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#11 Post by Fribbi » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:17 pm

So there are more visitors from Iceland here now.  I'm doomed.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#12 Post by Fribbi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:25 am

Now what a hell is going on here? Is he from Canada or Iceland? Should we trust that guy Erpy? Is that maybe the same guy who has teasing me this year by calling me and creating spams and websites called something like this "www.FribbiCulos.com"?

For those who don't understand what culos means. It means "ASSHOLE"

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#13 Post by Erpy » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:26 pm

No, the forum server got hacked and that's why any accounts created after our last backup (3 december) got messed up a bit. In this guy's case, Navy put back the backup user table and since that guy didn't appear in our database back then yet, his account name got replaced by another name. He's from Iceland, really.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#14 Post by Fribbi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:44 pm

Ok. I just thought he was back here you-know-who I'm talking about.

(V-o-l-d-i-m-o-r!!)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#15 Post by Fribbi » Thu May 26, 2005 10:47 am

I am sorry for bringing this back up.

But I just wanted to know if the translator Veigar Freyr Jökulsson  has finished with the new edited icelandic translation because it's been long time since he asked to do that.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#16 Post by Erpy » Thu May 26, 2005 12:33 pm

I'm afraid I've never heard from that person again. It's not completely unlikely that the translation joined the 95% that never got completed.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#17 Post by Fribbi » Thu May 26, 2005 1:38 pm

Are you sure he is icelandic like me Erpy?  I wonder why he does only speak English on his homewebpage.  Suspicious isn't? ;) :hat

When did you two last spoke together?

Da_elf
Knight Status

#18 Post by Da_elf » Thu May 26, 2005 2:05 pm

i could understand it if somewhere he mentions doing a degree in languages. but he is studying geology.

Relight
Archival Expert

#19 Post by Relight » Thu May 26, 2005 3:46 pm

Did you sent him the translation / template files Fribbi? Because that's what he was waiting for, we did not send him anything.

During the time when this came up, I had two separate people emailing me who also found spelling / grammar problems. But if this guy didn't finish it, then oh well! And, what Erpy said was right.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Thu May 26, 2005 4:41 pm

I sent them those files. That was the last time I've spoken with them though.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#21 Post by Fribbi » Thu May 26, 2005 6:36 pm

And have you tried to contact him again Erpy and ask him about this translation work he was going to do for you?  :hat

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#22 Post by Fribbi » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:41 am

I downloaded again KQ1VGA with both music and speechpack. Wow it was so amazing how fast the download was . 3 big files and they only toke me about 4 minutes to download with my ADSL.

I remember when I was downloading that game with my old  56baud modem it toke me then about 4 and 30 hours.

Anyway since I am getting better in English in everyday I saw my error on the icelandic translation. I would like to try to work better on it but unfortunatly I don't have the translation file I worked on for known reason.

But that is not the only disapointment I saw there. The manual I translated too and worked really hard on was still on english. I searched for the Icelandic manual but I had no luck there. And now I wonder why? I feel like I have been cheated now.
I need a very good explanation because of this right now.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#23 Post by Erpy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:58 am

The primary reason was the fact that it would chuck several megabytes extra and it was unlikely a lot of people would be able to read it.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#24 Post by Fribbi » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:29 pm

But why was I never told about this?