A Tale of Two Kingdoms

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#26 Post by Klytos » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:17 am

Hey Radiant, I still can't download the game and I want to really badly. Really really badly. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If you're interested we can host it at IA until you get yourself some more bandwidth.

EDIT : Got the game now, still can't get the music pack.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#27 Post by bartonjo2 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:48 am

Hey Everybody I have the demo on ym website, just in casse your wondering I am also a member of ATOTK

Main demo zip file 1.57 mb

Music dot vox 5.461 mb

I have a lot more bandwidth so it should work out!

Klytos

#28 Post by Klytos » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:03 am

Cool, thanks dude.

Radiant
Knight Status

#29 Post by Radiant » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:52 am

Bartonjo -> Thanks, I appreciate that.

Klytos -> I'm not sure what is going on here... our bandwidth limit should have been reset since it is now january. I'll go and talk to the host.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#30 Post by fluxmaster » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:32 pm

I checked out the demo.  The graphics and music are very good.  I can't wait for the game to come out.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#31 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:52 pm

Wow this demo is amazing!!

I was very impressed by the quality of the backgrounds especially the first one! I thought I was playing a commercial game for a second!

I too like the idea of animated cursors, they're great but ones like the eye feel a bit to big and chunky and finding the hotspots on all the cursors is quite hard.

Loved the music too! The animations are great too! I kinda expected an animation when you get the thing from the tree but I understand its just a demo but looks a very promising game!!!!

Hurry up and finish it so Deb and I can finish it!!

P.S. Thanks to Barton finally managed to download the music pack from him!

Punky Elfic Bard
Peasant Status

#32 Post by Punky Elfic Bard » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:01 pm

Hello, all!

I liked the demo. I really liked it. And the monk is really cool. The backrounds are very nice, and the portraits are cool. I can't to play the game!  Although I was reading what u guys said before this post on this forum, and I think that rog said some true stuff there (not wanting to start any flame). Graham looks weird, and he should have black hair.  The GUIS are a bit rough IMO(especially the eye one). The animation on the mouth of the portraits look bad also, though the portraits are beautifull.
I think that the finished version will be better! I know u guys can do it.

And it IS only a demo, btw...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#33 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:15 pm

I don't think the main character is Graham, although the animation is most likely based on his model.

Punky Elfic Bard
Peasant Status

#34 Post by Punky Elfic Bard » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:37 pm

yes, but it looks weird, and IMO i think the main character should be completely original and not based on Graham. If it's not graham then it really looks like him. MO. Don't get me wrong, please...

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#35 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:39 pm

I don't really see it as that much of a problem. The "Grahamness" is probably diminished big-time when there's dialogue portraits/closeups being shown that share little similarity to Graham.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#36 Post by Alias » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:15 pm

Well if this game is original it would be nice to have original sprites, its not that much work to make one sprite. Just my homble thoughts, I never wanted to''flame''.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#37 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:51 pm

Wow. This is VERY good. The music especially grabbed me. Congrats to whoever made the score and to you guys for nabbing them!! I'll be using Navynuke's AGS Jukebox to rip those for my pleasurable listening ;).

Wow I'm looking forward to this game :)!

And don't you have anything positive at all to say about the game, Rog? We're not critiques or judges here. We're friends. Our job isn't to tear the game apart with everything that's wrong with it.

Just my humble opinion. Never want to flame ;).

Klytos

#38 Post by Klytos » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:01 am

Rog wrote:Well if this game is original it would be nice to have original sprites, its not that much work to make one sprite. Just my homble thoughts, I never wanted to''flame''.
Obviously a comment like that comes from someone who's never had to draw sprites in a game. Drawing the main character is a pain in the ass and isn't as easy as 4 (or even 8) walking directions.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#39 Post by Alias » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:27 am

Klytos wrote:
Rog wrote:Well if this game is original it would be nice to have original sprites, its not that much work to make one sprite. Just my homble thoughts, I never wanted to''flame''.
Obviously a comment like that comes from someone who's never had to draw sprites in a game. Drawing the main character is a pain in the ass and isn't as easy as 4 (or even 8) walking directions.
I have actually. And yes its hard work but its something thats work being done.  ;)

MI> Well then we should try and improve the game shouldent we?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#40 Post by Erpy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:38 am

Yes, but all the public can do is bring aspects subject to improvement to the team's attention (in a respectful way and without hammering if possible) and eventually the team will decide what issues to adress. (improvement is often subjective)

Radiant
Knight Status

#41 Post by Radiant » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:22 pm

In response to the comments,

Erpy -> cursors with hotspots, good point. I tend to assume that the hotspot is in the center of the cursor, but apparently I'm alone in that.

Elfic Bard -> noted; we'll clean up the animations for the finished version.

MI -> jukebox? Hey, I didn't know that existed :) where do I find it?

Oh and btw the main character is Maeldun of Gorthak, sorceror's son, mercenary leader and part-time rogue. We've got a rather pretty intro scripted for that.

And thanks for the positive feedback, folks!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#42 Post by Erpy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:13 pm

I generally picture the hotspot of the walking cursor on the foot, the hotspot of the interacting-cursor on the finger (usually index finger) and the hotspot of the look/talk cursor (if the latter is a mouth) in the middle. If the talking cursor is a speech baloon, the hotspot usually appears at the pointing end of it. But that's just me.

Regarding the Jukebox, it's a little program in AGS Navynuke wrote a long time ago. It lets you play tunes inside a music.vox file. It's probably downloadable on the AGS site.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#43 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:47 pm

Tom also hosts it (or at least links it) on his Quest Studios page in the KQ2VGA section, I believe.

Punky Elfic Bard
Peasant Status

#44 Post by Punky Elfic Bard » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:51 pm

But even more beautifull than a guitar is a Lute.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#45 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:37 pm

Yeah, I wrote that program a looooonnng time ago. One of the first AGS things I ever tried. Tom liked it and asked if he could host it on his site. That was before I was even part of AGDI.

If you can't find a copy anywhere, let me know and I'll be sure to reupload it someplace.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

Nice work

#46 Post by rugged » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:19 am

Just downloaded the demo and had to say FANTASTIC, the backgrounds are lush and the portraits are awesome !! I enjoyed the hallway puzzle but would suggest making the unlocking the front door a bit more logical, not that it was a hard, just wondering what a key was doing in that place !!

Nice work !!

adeyke

#47 Post by adeyke » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:47 am

Those puzzles aren't going to be part of the full game, anyways.

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#48 Post by deltamatrix » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:20 pm

Oi Radiant.

What happened to KQ3+? Is that still going? Last time I tried to log in, all forums entries were gone.

Corby
Royal Servant Status

#49 Post by Corby » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:20 am

Definently the best art I've seen so far :) I'm quite jealous! That monastary is amazing. Keep up the great work (not just the art) :)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#50 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:32 pm

Whoa, I didnt know you guys had KQArtist on your team? He's a great artist!