3D Studio Max

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

3D Studio Max

#1 Post by Klytos » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:28 am

Anyone know where there's a good, and simplistic, tutorial of creating 3D cutscenes? I own 3D Studio Max and I can't figure out a damn thing.

Relight
Archival Expert

#2 Post by Relight » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:36 pm

I have not found any good tutorials that cover a large variety of topics, a "how-to" that follows a complete scene from start to finish. If you're talking about a cutscene that's way too broad. You'll have to figure out what all the things you want in your cutscene are, and then look for individual tutorials on each of those things.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Relight wrote:I have not found any good tutorials that cover a large variety of topics, a "how-to" that follows a complete scene from start to finish. If you're talking about a cutscene that's way too broad. You'll have to figure out what all the things you want in your cutscene are, and then look for individual tutorials on each of those things.
Geez....listen to this guy.  Talking like he knows what he's talking aboot...... :p  :lol

Bt

Meerbat
The Winged Suricate

#4 Post by Meerbat » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:10 pm

Well, here is an interesting opinion on Cut-scenes by Ron Gilbert.

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#5 Post by deltamatrix » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:37 am

How simplistic are we talking here:

As simplistic as this:
http://www.doga.co.jp/english/download/index.html

DOGA-L1 is very very very simplistic but does have many limitations. It can render videos but probably not the sort you want.

However, if you download DOGA-L3 without paying, you can still use it to produce simple 3D backgrounds if needs must. It is very easy to use.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:41 am

He has 3DS Max, though. I think he just wants to figure that out. I got a copy of 3DS Max 4 myself but I couldn't do anything with it. I was fascinated by modeling but I just got frusterated. Don't think I could do it...

Klytos

#7 Post by Klytos » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:24 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:He has 3DS Max, though. I think he just wants to figure that out. I got a copy of 3DS Max 4 myself but I couldn't do anything with it. I was fascinated by modeling but I just got frusterated. Don't think I could do it...
Yep, thats the problem.

Relight
Archival Expert

#8 Post by Relight » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:42 pm

I started with 3D Studio 2 (DOS), then 4, then Max 2, Max 3.5, now I'm still using Max 4 (they're up to Max 6 or 7 or something?) Just by playing around with it, you can learn some easy stuff. You can learn enough without too much work to do what I did for the KQ2 intro scene. I've never moved beyond that level, unfortunately, I think that would require taking a class or something - I'd love to do that one day, and get more into 3D stuff. Going by searching for tutorials or even reading some books, I don't think you're going to get far enough to do a lot more (I read a lot of Max books, and found them all notoriously unhelpful). So it depends what kind of stuff you want in your cutscenes. If you want some help starting out on stuff, I'll offer what advice, tips or methods I can.

Klytos

#9 Post by Klytos » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:39 am

Cool, thanks relight. I might take you up on that offer.

nightquest2
Peasant Status

got some good tutorials

#10 Post by nightquest2 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:37 am

i found This site to be very help full, BTW: my computer is loaded with a million art programs including: adobe photoshop cs, 3d studio max 7 and alot more so, if you ever need help just email me at: nightquest2@msn.com

~Nightquest2~

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#11 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:18 pm

Meerbat wrote:Well, here is an interesting opinion on Cut-scenes by Ron Gilbert.
Lol Meerbat, I should have never linked to Grumpy Gamer  :p

Da_elf
Knight Status

#12 Post by Da_elf » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:06 pm

I know this post was started a long time ago. but since im new to this AGS stuff im only now discovering all these cool threads. I work heavily in 3d and just thought id offer advice to anyone interested. Im going to try to create my own game using 3d rendered backgrounds, objects, characters and cut scenes. I was searchng though some forums trying to figure out how animations are imported into AGS for intros and cutscenes. there wasnt much about it in the help file. am i to assume its an animated room with characters hidden? anyhow. pleased to meet all of you guys.
http://www.elfpro3d.com/Game/Forest.zip  this is just a simple test ive done. ive already fooled around in another project with conversations and other things. this was to test music and background art.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#13 Post by Alias » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:57 pm

Da_elf> That's really nice. Welcome to the forums, btw.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#14 Post by Da_elf » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:31 pm

thanks for the welcome. can anyone point me in the right direction on doing the opening anim and cut scenes? i did a forum search on keywords like animation, cut scenes, intro, tierra, etc etc. just trying to find someone mentioning the AGS setup of an anim or cutscene.

EDIT

actually i found the section in the help file on cut scenes and intro anims. its not very detailed. but ill work it out

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Alias » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:47 pm

Did you do all those 3D scenes from stratch?

Da_elf
Knight Status

#16 Post by Da_elf » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:49 pm

yeah some of those are kinda old. ive got to get my gallery updated. even though i do audio editing, animation, video editing and graphic art, ive been making a bit of money recently in 3d architecture. ELF Productions is my own company. for now its just me.