Kings Quest 2¼: Breast Intentions

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

maestro
Royal Servant Status

Kings Quest 2¼: Breast Intentions

#1 Post by maestro » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:51 am

I've just produced a new fan game, Kings Quest 2¼: Breast Intentions.  Prince Alexander has just been kidnapped.  His kidnappers are feeding him infant formula, but Prince Alexander is allergic formula.  He must be fed breast milk, or he will die.  Queen Valanice goes out to search for Prince Alexander.  The object of the game is to find Prince Alexander and breastfeed him.

You can download the game here.  Enjoy!

I'm looking into setting up a message board is there is sufficient interest.  Are there any good free message boards?  I checked out ezBoards and found a free trial period.  It didn't say how long the trial peroid lasts.  I don't want to have to pay for a board because I'm not making any money off this board.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Intermezzo Software

The Maestro

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#2 Post by Klytos » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:37 am

My advice, stay away from EZBoards. **shudder**

Dr. Mabuse
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Dr. Mabuse » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:39 am

I can't get past the setup. Please select the path to an executable module of any Sierra Agdi game you legaly own etc....thats were it stops.
What am I supposed to do? I do own SWAT2.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by maestro » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:46 am

The installation program requires you to have a copy of a Sierra game that uses the AGI interpreter.  That would be KQ1, KQ2, KQ3, SQ1, SQ2, LSL1, PQ1, Gold Rush, and a few others.  The game SWAT2 does not use the AGI interpreter, so that game won't work.

I'm not sure whether I'm legally allowed to distribute the AGI interpreter, so that's why I haven't included it with the game.  The game is really supposed to be an "add-on" to other games that you already have.  Also, since practically all the graphics in the game come from Sierra AGI games (due to my severely limited ability in the graphic arts), if I were to give away the AGI interpreter, it might raise too many red flags with Sierra (as if I haven't done that all ready).

However, there is an alternative.  The game will also run with the NAGI interpreter.  I have just tested the game with that interpreter right now.  The game will run, and the music is a lot better, besides.  I am a bit hesitant to recommend this solution, because then anyone can play the game who has never purchased a Sierra game, but, nonetheless, it will work.

To use the NAGI interpreter with KQ2¼, you have to trick the interpreter into thinking that it is running a legitimate Sierra game.  I did this by putting the resource files for KQ2¼ into a folder called KQ1.  You may have to play around a bit to get it to work.  I deliberately didn't include specific instructions for doing this with the game because, as I've said, I want to promote this game as an add-on to Sierra games, not a substitute for them.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by Pidgeot » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:11 am

You don't have to trick NAGI to do anything. Just put it in a new folder in the NAGI directory and it will appear with the folder as it's name. To make it appear as the right name, you'll want to add this to NAGI's standard.ini file:

Code: Select all

[KQ2.25]
name=King's Quest II 1/4: Breast Intentions
inherits=pc_2_936
;2.917
id=KQ2.25
crc_object=0xB5327760
crc_words=0x172BB4A2
crc_vol_0=0x3F539C33
crc_dir_log=0x10182191
crc_dir_pic=0x7D5D4091
crc_dir_view=0x8E8B2693
crc_dir_snd=0x60B32F0A
(The ;2.917 line is not needed, but I use it to signify the ACTUAL interpreter version.)

Afterwards, modify the crc_list= line at the top of the file, so NAGI knows to look at the KQ2.25 section. It should look similar to this:

Code: Select all

crc_list=gr,grcr,gr35cr,kq,kq2,kq3,kq4,(...),KQ2.25
I've cut out much of the line, so as not to take up TOO much space. At any rate, the important thing is the KQ2.25, which is what you should add to the comma-seperated list.

The process is the same for any AGI game, Sierra- or fan-made. The CRCs are extracted by setting crc_print to 1 in nagi.ini, and you modify standard.ini to include all of the info shown above. The interpreter version (used for the inherits value) can be extracted using AGIVER, which can be downloaded on the URI Quest site. Accepted values are found in standard.ini, on the agi_list line. Most fan-made games shuold use pc_2_936.

And for the record, you already HAVE included most of the interpreter, namely the the .OVL files and the AGI file. You just haven't included the program that loads the interpreter, SIERRA.COM. If you want to be on the safe side, just find one of the AGI Demo packs and put that on your site. The URI Quest site (ilnked above) have Demo Pack #3 available, which uses the 2.917 interpreter (same as the interpreter files you've included with your game).

Dr. Mabuse
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Dr. Mabuse » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:32 pm

maestro wrote:The installation program requires you to have a copy of a Sierra game that uses the AGI interpreter.  That would be KQ1, KQ2, KQ3, SQ1, SQ2, LSL1, PQ1, Gold Rush, and a few others.  The game SWAT2 does not use the AGI interpreter, so that game won't work.

I'm not sure whether I'm legally allowed to distribute the AGI interpreter, so that's why I haven't included it with the game.  The game is really supposed to be an "add-on" to other games that you already have.  Also, since practically all the graphics in the game come from Sierra AGI games (due to my severely limited ability in the graphic arts), if I were to give away the AGI interpreter, it might raise too many red flags with Sierra (as if I haven't done that all ready).

However, there is an alternative.  The game will also run with the NAGI interpreter.  I have just tested the game with that interpreter right now.  The game will run, and the music is a lot better, besides.  I am a bit hesitant to recommend this solution, because then anyone can play the game who has never purchased a Sierra game, but, nonetheless, it will work.

To use the NAGI interpreter with KQ2¼, you have to trick the interpreter into thinking that it is running a legitimate Sierra game.  I did this by putting the resource files for KQ2¼ into a folder called KQ1.  You may have to play around a bit to get it to work.  I deliberately didn't include specific instructions for doing this with the game because, as I've said, I want to promote this game as an add-on to Sierra games, not a substitute for them.
So it isn't a game on it's own?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by maestro » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:17 pm

Dr. Mabuse wrote:So it isn't a game on it's own?
It is a game that you can play by itself.  I just followed the example of some other AGI game developers and left out one of the critical files that you need to play the game.  All the Setup program does is make a copy of that file from one of your legitimate Sierra games. The purpose was to insure that you have purchased a legitimate Sierra game first.

Since you own a Sierra game, but not a Sierra AGI game, we're explaining how to bypass that protection by subsitiuting another file for the one critical file that I deliberately left out.
Pidgeot wrote:You don't have to trick NAGI to do anything. Just put it in a new folder in the NAGI directory and it will appear with the folder as it's name.
Thanks for the advice.
Pidgeot wrote:If you want to be on the safe side, just find one of the AGI Demo packs and put that on your site.
Again, thanks, but I think that I'll stick with the way that I've been doing it.

Radiant
Knight Status

#8 Post by Radiant » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:28 pm

However, please realize that
1.distributing Sierra's loader (or AGI interpreter) is not illegal, since several freely distributable demos exist that include it.
2.distributing copyrighted graphics, sounds and animations compiled into a new game, however, is illegal.
3.your reasoning implies that if I possess a legal copy of one Sierra game, I am entitled to make an illegal copy of any other Sierra game - this is legally unsound.
4.the Sierra loader performs a version check; therefore despite what your install program says, the majority of loaders taken from Sierra AGI games will not work with your game, and instead display "bad program image" and quit.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by maestro » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:38 pm

All right, I have uploaded a new zip file to the site that eliminates the Setup program and contains an actual AGI interpreter.  Anyone who has been unable to install the game can now download the complete game on my site.  There is no Setup program to run.  Simply unzip the files and begin playing.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#10 Post by Fribbi » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:48 pm

Ok I have downloaded it and  found many bugs and errors inside that game.

There is no down and up animation sprites of the queen when I walk down and up with her.

When I go down in some area and want to get up again I am not then in same area I was in before.

I get a error message when I go left and then up from the castle gate.

And most of all it has only pc beep sounds wich I hate. And because of that I always have to use F2 button to take that sound away.  I mean there is probably nothing wrong with that music I just hate pc beep music and sounds.

And I don't know where I should go.  I can't give you my scorepoints for this because I haven't finish that game yet.

I don't know where I should go so where can I get hints or walkthrough for that game because I am totally stuck.

I hope this message was not too negative for you Maestro.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by maestro » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:35 pm

Fribbi wrote:There is no down and up animation sprites of the queen when I walk down and up with her.
That was intentional.  The sprite was taken directly from KQ2.  In that game, the sprite had only two directions of movement.  For reasons of nostalgia, I wanted to keep the sprite exactly the same and not add extra loops for up and down movement.
Fribbi wrote:When I go down in some area and want to get up again I am not then in same area I was in before.

I get a error message when I go left and then up from the castle gate.
Those are bugs that I'll fix shortly.  Thanks for noticing them.
Fribbi wrote:And most of all it has only pc beep sounds wich I hate. And because of that I always have to use F2 button to take that sound away.  I mean there is probably nothing wrong with that music I just hate pc beep music and sounds.
Try using NAGI.  (see above).
Fribbi wrote:And I don't know where I should go.  I can't give you my scorepoints for this because I haven't finish that game yet.

I don't know where I should go so where can I get hints or walkthrough for that game because I am totally stuck.
I'll answer these questions after I fix the bugs mentioned above.
Fribbi wrote:I hope this message was not too negative for you Maestro.
Not at all.  Thanks for the feedback.
Fribbi wrote:"Some people only like to life for what they want to life for. "
I think you mean "live," not "life."  "Live" is a verb (when pronounced with a short "i") or an adjective (when pronounced with a long "i").  "Life" is a noun.

BTW, if anyone wants to recommend a good free message board, I can answer any game related questions there instead of here, if you prefer.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#12 Post by Fribbi » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:44 pm

You are welcome.
I think you mean "live," not "life."  "Live" is a verb (when pronounced with a short "i") or an adjective (when pronounced with a long "i").  "Life" is a noun.
Thanks for point that out for me.  I will try that NAGI.
I have changed that signature now.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by maestro » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:23 pm

Okay, I have fixed the bugs that Fribbi has pointed out and uploaded the new version to my site.  You can download the new version now.

Here's what I fixed:  Some rooms in the game are only supposed to be accessible at the end of the game.  In particular, at the beginning of the game, when you leave the castle, you are only supposed to be able to go left.  At the end of the game, when you return to the castle, you will be returning from the right.  However, I forgot to test the flag to see whether it is permissible to go right from the castle.  The fix that I put in prevents you from going right at the castle gate until the end of the game.

The reason for all this is that the rooms to the right of the castle gate are only useful at the end of the game, and it would only cause confusion to allow the player to wander around those rooms at the beginning of the game and have nothing to do there.  In addition, accessing those rooms at the beginning of the game causes inconsistencies in leaving a room and returning to a different room.  If anyone else has started to play the game with the old version, I strongly recommend downloading the new version.  Your saved games should work just as well with the new version.  If you are playing the old version, please disregard the rooms to the right of the castle gate at the beginning of the game.
Fribbi wrote:And I don't know where I should go.  I can't give you my scorepoints for this because I haven't finish that game yet.

The first thing that you need to do is get a breast pump and some bottles.  Have you explored all the rooms in the game? (Again, disregard the rooms to the right of the castle gate if you are playing the old version.)  Although the rooms may look identical to Kings Quest I, there are differences.  Try going to all four edges of every room to see whether there are any rooms that you may have missed (again, ignoring anything to the right of the castle gate if playing the old version).  When you get to the room with the breast pump and bottles, you should recognize it immediately.

After that, explore some more, and do what you usually do in an adventure game.  And, while you're adventuring, don't forget to periodically fill up the bottles with milk.  This is an important part of the game and is easy to forget as you're doing other things.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#14 Post by Fribbi » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:38 pm

Ok I have downloaded that game again and I will give my new error report tomorrow.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#15 Post by Fribbi » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:58 pm

Ok I have found that breast pump 10 empty bottles, knife, the key and a flint. I am stuck in a old cottage with a poor people and they are again hungry. What happened to that soup that King Graham  gave to them.
 I thougth they will never be hungry again after that gift. (Maybe it was stolen when they were sleeping since there is no out door on the old poor cottage hmmmm)  :lol But since I can't find any more magic bowl wich are always refilled with the same soup again for them what am I supposed to find then for them then instead?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by maestro » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:31 pm

Fribbi wrote:What happened to that soup that King Graham  gave to them.
I thougth they will never be hungry again after that gift.
Well, I was lazy and just kept in the same text from Kings Quest I.

Remember, although the graphics were taken from other games, the puzzles are completely different.  There is no bowl to find to give to the woodcutter.  However, the woodcutter does play an important part in the story.  At the point that you are in the game, interacting with the woodcutter is the next thing that you must do in order to get past this point.  But the interaction is not the same as it was in KQ1.  In particular, you are not trying to relieve them of their hunger.  Always keep in mind the goal of the adventure:  to locate your son.

BTW, have you been filling up the bottles?  Don't forget to do that.  Take a look at the menu.  The keys "(" and ")" can be used as shortcuts for this purpose.

Phoenix Software
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by Phoenix Software » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:37 am

Last edited by Phoenix Software on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiant
Knight Status

#18 Post by Radiant » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:42 am

Phoenix Software wrote:Radient> Even though it is not legal, I doubt Vuvendi cares anymore, they have shown no interest in fan projects.
Rog, we've been over this before, and trust me if I say that you are plainly and entirely wrong about this. If you don't believe me, read the legal disclaimer for AGDI (the part where it says they have official permission from Vivendi to remake the Sierra games), and the legal Cease & Desist order that they used to take down QfO and QfG4.5.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#19 Post by Swift » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:59 am

I have to agree with Radiant on this one. The fact that VU went after and shut down QFO and QFG4.5 goes to show that they do have interest in fan projects.

Phoenix Software
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by Phoenix Software » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:34 am

Last edited by Phoenix Software on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiant
Knight Status

#21 Post by Radiant » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:00 pm

Phoenix Software wrote:So, all fan projects should be shut down? That never stopped any other project like QFI or KQ3VGA...
So all fan projects should be well aware of the legal hazards, and be careful with what they say and do, and should consider if their time and effort might not be better spent in another fashion. The vast majority of indie games aren't infringing on any copyrights. Strict 'fan'games, such as any KQ or SQ sequel/prequel/interquel/alterquel, are.

But since you're no longer part of SQ:VM, what's it to you anyway?

Phoenix Software
Royal Servant Status

#22 Post by Phoenix Software » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:44 pm

Last edited by Phoenix Software on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#23 Post by Fribbi » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:53 pm

BTW, have you been filling up the bottles?  Don't forget to do that.  Take a look at the menu.  The keys "(" and ")" can be used as shortcuts for this purpose.
Yes I have filled them all 10 bottles but when I try to say " Give milk to woman or man" nothing happens so what word am I suppose to say then?

BTW I found two error in this time.

The first error is the same when I walk to left and up This happens on the  same screen, front of the castle. I am always kicked out from the game when I go there after geting this strange message
"Logic 15 not found"

In the well. Sometimes I can climb up from the well after lowering me down on the bucket and sometimes I am stuck and can't get nowhere out.

And oh yes how am I suppose to get the bucket if I can't cut the rope with the dagger?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#24 Post by maestro » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:00 pm

Fribbi wrote:Yes I have filled them all 10 bottles but when I try to say " Give milk to woman or man" nothing happens so what word am I suppose to say then?
The bottles are not objects that you use to trade for other objects.  Their purpose is to allow other caretakers to feed your children when you are not around to do it yourself.  In this game, their principle purpose is to feed your son Alexander.  The woodcutter couple will not be feeding either of your children, so there is no need to give the bottles to them.
Fribbi wrote:BTW I found two error in this time.
I shall fix those errors and put up a new version shortly.  But you can keep playing the current version if you keep in mind the points below:
Fribbi wrote:The first error is the same when I walk to left and up This happens on the  same screen, front of the castle. I am always kicked out from the game when I go there after geting this strange message "Logic 15 not found"
There is no room 15 in this game.  When you try to go north from the castle, you should simply be stopped at the horizon.  This was code left over from KQ1 that I neglected to remove.  Until I fix the problem, simply avoid going north from the castle.
Fribbi wrote:In the well. Sometimes I can climb up from the well after lowering me down on the bucket and sometimes I am stuck and can't get nowhere out.
I neglected to draw the rope when you enter the well from above.  I'll fix that shortly.  When I tested the game myself, I mostly tested the "correct" paths through the game.  If something does doesn't appear to work properly, there's a good possibility that you don't need to do it until later on in the game.  (But please report these things to me, anyway.)
Fribbi wrote:And oh yes how am I suppose to get the bucket if I can't cut the rope with the dagger?
Remember, although the graphics may be the same, the puzzles in this game are not the same puzzles as were in KQ1.  Although the well has a crucial function in this game, you do not need to cut the bucket from the rope.

There are still some more inventory items that you must collect before leaving Daventry.  Some games will show you a glint of light to indicate a small object that you must pick up.  Since this game is relatively short, I have chosen not to do this, in order not to make the game too easy.  So there are some inventory items for which you must simply move around the screen and type "LOOK AT <name of larger object>" in order to be told that there is a small object nearby that you must pick up.  You will not be aware of the small objects otherwise.

EDIT:  The two aforementioned bugs have been fixed.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#25 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:22 pm

Phoenix Software wrote:So I need a reason to talk about something. So typical of you.
Yes, it's called logic.

He's right.  Don't press this issue, or pretend it doesn't exist. These are not the channels in which to discuss this anyway.

Bt