Kings Quest 2¼: Breast Intentions

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#126 Post by maestro » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:39 am

The key to solving most of the puzzles in the game is to do exactly what Valanice would do under the circumstances.  What would Valanice do next?

Hint:[spoiler]Forget, for the moment, what you know about Kings Quest 3.[/spoiler]

Semi-spoiler:[spoiler]Do you really think that Valanice would simply return to Daventry and leave her baby behind?[/spoiler]

I have uploaded a new version and changed the version number to version 2.  This version gets rid of an error that Fribbi pointed out, makes the graphics more consistent when walking around Llewdor, prevents Valanice from walking on water in the ocean near Llewdor, and adds a response or two to "change diaper."

BTW, I thought it was Saint Peter, not Jesus, who walked on water.  And didn't he use "Walked on Water" as a campaign slogan when he ran for pope?

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#127 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:51 am

jesus did indeed walk on water ....   Matthew 14:25-30.  This is also when Peter walked on water, because Jesus allowed it.  (yay for my handy dandy study bible)

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#128 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:03 am

okay ... i'm in the well, but i can't get out.  i lowered the rope before i left, but now, it's back up.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#129 Post by maestro » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:26 am

Think like a woman.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#130 Post by Fribbi » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:39 pm

Steffi Just try to think what you could do when you are alone and needs someone to help you to get out. What would you do when you are alone and helpless. But in this time you are not alone.

[spoiler]You must quickly type "Help" and after that "jump" or you will drown. Good luck with the rest of the game. You are almost done with the game.[/spoiler]

BTW who or what throwed that rope to save Valanice? Was it the poor people or the old gnome?  There was no one near the well when I came up. And I wanted to kiss him or her. Because I was still thinking like a woman!

Hey wait a minute.... what is Maestro trying to turn us boys into.. gay perhaps..hehehe. Nice Try Maestro.

But this is a female game for sure.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#131 Post by maestro » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:24 pm

Fribbi, it does no good to put something in as a spoiler if you give away the solution in the clear in the next sentence.

When a woman plays an adventure game as a male character, she has to think like a man, so it is natural that, when a guy plays as a female character, he has to think like a woman.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#132 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:47 pm

finally finished it!

see, the problem i had is, i must not think like a "normal" woman.  although i did enjoy the game, i must say.

one of the big issues i had is usually, when i play an adventure game, if i die, I quickly go to the "restore" to avoid long death scene things.  that's why i had a difficult time figuring out the cave thingie.  i did enjoy it, and hope that you come up with more goofy little games in the future!

i must say, though, trying to explain it to my roommate ... that was fun.  "see, you gotta breat feed the kid and .... okay, just forget it."

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#133 Post by maestro » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:06 pm

Great!  How many different endings to the game have you found?  Have you found any Easter Eggs (today being a good day to find Easter Eggs!)?  (See my previous post on Easter Eggs.)  Do you have any suggestions for making the game more girl-friendly?  After playing the game, are you more likely to breastfeed than you were before?

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#134 Post by Fribbi » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:28 pm

Fribbi, it does no good to put something in as a spoiler if you give away the solution in the clear in the next sentence.
Sorry about that mistake. :o

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#135 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:51 am

am i more likely to breastfeed?  well, seeing how i'm not planning on having kids until i have a husband first, and, seeing how i'm not planning on having kids right away after that ... but, yes, i plan on breastfeeding my kids.  one day.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#136 Post by maestro » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:28 am

I have just uploaded a new zip file.  The game itself is unchanged from the last version, but I have removed the AGI interpreter and restored the Setup program.  The new Setup program copies over the entire AGI interpreter from an authorized AGI game, not merely the loader, as the first version of the interpreter did.  I have tested the new version of the Setup program and found it to work when KQ1, KQ2, KQ3, LSL1, or PQ1 is selected as the authorized AGI game to copy the AGI interpreter from.  I have also included a DOS install program for those who are unable to run the Windows Setup program.

For those of you who wish to download the full game, including the AGI interpreter, you can still do so by right-clicking on this secret link and selecting Save Target As.  For those of you who wish to download the game along with the NAGI interpreter, you can do so by right-clicking on this secret link and selecting Save Target As.

Please do not tell anyone about these secret links, as they are secret.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#137 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:17 am

You should modify your setup program to only show the games that have inherits=pc_2_936 in their section in NAGI's standard.ini file. Other games use older or newer interpreters that will most likely be incompatible with your game.

On your current list, I believe this only leaves SQ2, KQ3 and PQ1, but I haven't actually checked - and in some cases, I believe it depends on game version.

EDIT: And please re-consider forcing the player to already have an AGI game - although most of us here probably do; that doesn't mean everyone else does - and even if they do, there's no guarantee they own a game that uses a compatible interpreter. At the very least refer people to somewhere they can download one of Sierra's demo packs (see my post on the first page), so they have some means of getting it.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#138 Post by maestro » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:08 am

Although I doubt that Sierra will shut me down if I revert to distributing the AGI interpreter, since they would have done so already if they were so inclined, I personally think that anyone who plays this game should, at the very minimum, have played KQ1 and KQ2 first.  Besides that, the Setup program contains an agreement not to sell the game that the user must accept before beginning installation, and I'd like to keep that.

If anyone has any problems with the Setup program, they can e-mail me and I will direct them to the secret links, if necessary.  In a few days I may add an explicit message on my web page directing anyone who is unable to use the Setup program to e-mail me for help.

morgaes
Peasant Status

#139 Post by morgaes » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:23 pm

I can't seem to find a way out of Daventry, I think I've got every item I need, I was atleast able to fill all 10 bottles.

[spoiler]I asked the woodcutter about Alexander and about the path and he told me that it was near the door in the mountain, but I can't open the door or find a path nearby[/spoiler]

these are my inventory items:
10 full bottles
breast pump
key
knife
coin
flint
lantern

is there anything I'm missing, and if not, how on earth am I supposed to leave Daventry?

any help appreciated, thanks :)

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#140 Post by maestro » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:32 pm

[spoiler]Simply walk up to the side of the hill and start climbing.  This is only possible after the woodcutter tells you about the path.  You cannot unlock the door in this game.[/spoiler]

If the above does not work, please e-mail me a saved game and I'll take a look at it.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#141 Post by Fribbi » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Are you working on any new King quest game now?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#142 Post by maestro » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:32 pm

I don't have any time right now to work on the other three KQ games that I had planned; maybe in a few years.  I have, however, put up a patch for this game to fix a problem with being slain by the pirate when trying to leave the ship.

I've recently finished reading all three KQ novels, and I think that they would make great games.  They introduce some new characters, Oswald, who is King Graham's right-hand man, and William, his son.  Plus, we get to meet the first man to show romantic interest in Rosella before she met Edgar.  If done right, it could make for some very interesting gameplay.  I don't want to give away too much, but there are some scenes where the two of them are in some compromising situations that could be used as "death" scenes where no one dies, but Rosella's reputation is ruined.

Fribbi, if you can draw the backgrounds, I can write the code.  But probably not for a few years; I have too many other things to do right now.

EDITed at Fribbi's request.
Last edited by maestro on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morgaes
Peasant Status

#143 Post by morgaes » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:14 am

thank you maestro, that worked like a charm, but you must admit that
[spoiler]the beginning of the path ain't very path-like, haha ;)[/spoiler]

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#144 Post by maestro » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:18 am

I didn't want to make it too easy.  Plus, I wanted to keep the exact same graphics as the original games as much as possible.

morgaes
Peasant Status

#145 Post by morgaes » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:52 pm

dunno if you're still updating it, but I think I found a bug.

when going down the waterfall, when you reach the bottom, and you go over to the next screen, the screen flickers between the waterfall screen and the screen with the bottom of the waterfall uncontrolably.
This has only happened when I am wearing the men's clothes

*edit*

weird, I'm at the cave now, and she refuses to give Alex the bottles, she keeps insisting on breast feeding, but I've done it so often that I've got 117 points of 88  :eek

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#146 Post by maestro » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:42 am

morgaes wrote:the screen flickers between the waterfall screen and the screen with the bottom of the waterfall uncontrolably.
The game does contain a few minor bugs, but I don't intend to fix them because I'm not getting paid for it, and, anyway, I don't have time.  If it's a major problem where you're stuck and can't go further, then send me a saved game, and I'll take a look at it and make a patch, if necessary.  But if the problem is rare or intermittent, then I don't want to bother with it.
morgaes wrote:she refuses to give Alex the bottles, she keeps insisting on breast feeding
Well, of course.  You're breasts are overflowing with milk, and your child is hungry.  Why would you want to give him a bottle?  The bottles are only for when you're not there, and someone else has to feed your child.
morgaes wrote:I've done it so often that I've got 117 points of 88
That's definitely a bug.  Valanice should only be able to feed once with each breast.  Can you e-mail me a saved game.  I may not fix it right away, but I'd like to take a look at it, anyway.

Cease&Desist
Peasant Status

#147 Post by Cease&Desist » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:52 pm

I must admit, it's really an interesting game for all those KQ fans out there.
It should be easy to create a complete point list using the data contained in the agi-created "logfile".
But one question remains, though: What is this stuff about clean water at the Bavarian opera house of Bayreuth about?

KQ2 1/4: BI is definitely not as buggy as Radiant's aged beta5 version of KQ3+, that's for sure. And it's a complete game of its own.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#148 Post by maestro » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:38 am

Ah, I'm glad you asked.  Nearly all of the graphics in the game were taken from Sierra games.  Besides the graphics, most of the responses to "LOOK <object>" were taken verbatim from those same Sierra games.

In the case in question, the original response in KQ3 to "DRINK WATER" was "Ahhh. It tastes like Sierra water!"  The joke was, of course, that the scene could easily have been taken from the Sierra Nevada in California, the name of the company that produced the game was Sierra, and there is also a company named Sierra that produces bottled water.  Since my game was produced not by Sierra but by Intermezzo Software (i.e. myself), I had to change the response to relate to Intermezzo.  There is no such thing as Intermezzo water; however, an intermezzo is a short act between the main acts of an opera.  There are no intermezzi at the Festspielhaus, since only Wagner's operas are performed there, but as I am a big Wagner fan, I used the name of that opera house, anyway.

I don't think that it's fair to compare my little game to Radiants KQ3+ beta, since mine is a finished game, and a rather small one at that, whereas his isn't finished yet and is much larger is scope.  Besides, my game was very easy to do, since, besides the graphics, I also took most of the code from KQ1 and KQ3, so all I really did was splice the two games together and add a few little extra things.  There was very little code that I actually wrote myself.

BTW, interesting name C&D.  I hope you weren't trying to make fun of those poor people at KQ9.  I only spent four months working on KQ2¼, so I'm not too worried about getting a C&D, and, besides, I don't think the game is good enough for Vivendi to take it seriously (but I hope you do).  But I feel sorry for those people who spent years working on KQ9, only to have it shut down.  I hope they can work out some sort of deal with Vivendi to have it published.

Cease&Desist
Peasant Status

#149 Post by Cease&Desist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:41 am

Besides the graphics, most of the responses to "LOOK <object>" were taken verbatim from those same Sierra games.
This becomes obvious when typing "look" without any further specification. In KQ1's Daventry, more details are required to come up with a close description. In opposite, the KQ3 world yields far more information.
but as I am a big Wagner fan
It might interest you then that the chancellor of Germany and her consort visit that opera house once a year. They're big fans, too. :lol
since mine is a finished game, and a rather small one at that
I prefer playing a small but finished game over a large one that is highly unlike to ever be finished.
I hope you weren't trying to make fun of those poor people at KQ9.
How would you get that idea?! In fact, I'd rather point out that mysterious letter that caused the SQ3 remake project to shut down (or at least it did sound like that, well, for some days). Actually, it seemed to cut off the activities of one particular member of that project in this forum as well.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#150 Post by maestro » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:28 pm

Cease&Desist wrote:This becomes obvious when typing "look" without any further specification.
It also becomes obvious when you fall to your death in a KQ1 room versus a KQ3 room.  In a KQ1 room, you get the KQ1 death message and music.  In a KQ3 room, you get the KQ3 death message and music.  Did anyone recognize the music when the game ends in a non-death with the message, "Now that's a fine mess you've got yourself into"?  I put the notes into the sound editor "by ear," so to speak, so the tune isn't exactly accurate, but it's close.
Cease&Desist wrote:How would you get that idea?!
Oh, sorry.  I figured the name must have been making fun of someone.  Perhaps you were making fun of me.  Anyway, a real C&D wouldn't have been sent to this forum; it would have been sent to me directly, so it appeared to be some sort of joke.