Kings Quest 2¼: Breast Intentions

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Cease&Desist
Peasant Status

#151 Post by Cease&Desist » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:38 pm

So, here it is:

[spoiler]Complete Point List for King's Quest 2 1/4: Breast Intentions

Room 65 (Palace living room)
open cabinet 2 / 2
get bottles 4 / 6
get breast pump 4 / 10
pump left breast 1 / 11
pump right breast 1 / 12
put two bottles on shelf
look under bed
get knife 1 / 13
open drawer
get key 1 / 14
(close drawer)
(close cabinet)
(take note)

Room 47 (Raging River)
look river
get coin 1 / 15

Room 12 (Outside the well)
pump left breast
pump right breast

Room 19 (Door in mountain)
look keyhole
get flint 1 / 16

Room 44 (Outside the woodcutter's house)
(look tree)
climb tree

Room 63 (Climbing the tree)
get lantern 2 / 18

Room 79 (Inside the woodcutter's house)
talk man
ask about son 2 / 20
ask about path 4 / 24

Rooms 56 - 60 (On the path leading out of Daventry)
pump left breast
pump right breast

Room 57 (Inside the mountain cave world)
strike flint
look cave (get pick) 2 / 26

Room 60 (The Abominable Snowman's Cave)
look ground
get clothes 1 / 27

Rooms 20 - 24, 26 (While walking down the mountain path)
pump left breast
pump right breast
(Do this twice until you reach the coast.
Your remaining eight bottles should now be filled.)

Room 27 (At the beach)
wear mens clothes under womans clothes 2 / 29

Room 31 (At the ship, two screens west of the coast)
help 1 / 30
remove womans clothes

Room 93 (At the captain's cabin)
(talk man)
(look desk)
(look map)
look chart 1 / 31
(look chest)

Room 81 (The lower deck)
turn wheel/steer ship 2 / 33

Room 94 (House behind the tavern in Llewdor)
(look house)
(read sign)
open door 2 / 35

Room 146 (Inside the restroom)
change clothes (the controls might be limited at this time)
look
read graffiti

Room 36 (Inside the spider's cave)
give bottles (to men) 8 / 43
give left breast 8 / 51
(kiss son)
(embrace prince)
sing song 4 / 55
(watching Graham feeding Rosella with the two bottles
you left in Daventry) 2 / 57
give right breast 8 / 65
(bonus points) 16 / 81
take baby 4 / 85 (alternate solution: kill men/use knife)

Room 32 (The land of the dead)
(breast feed ghoul)
give man coin
enter boat

Room 33 (After the passage)
exit boat

Room 155/156 (Yet another cave)
dig

Room 49 (Inside the well)
help
jump

Room 40 (Gnome)
talk gnome 2 / 87

Room 2 (The castle)
open door

Room 7 (The throne room)
(return successfully) 1 / 88[/spoiler]

One more point I'd like to add is: When you first play the game and are not aware of the additional information given here in the forum, that bottle filling might often be forgotten during game play and result in dead ends. Of course this makes the game much harder, so a documentation file really is helpful.

I've noticed that the original KQ3, for instance, only created a "logfile" when Alt+D was activated to log any typos. In KQ2 1/4: BI, every command seems to be logged (even without Alt+D), which results in a rapidly growing logfile.
those people who spent years working on KQ9
I've recently watched the KQ9 trailer, and I have to confess that their work was most impressing to me. Although I didn't get the grasp of the storyline yet, it now unfortunately seems like "some sequels should never be released". Well, at least not "THIS WINTER". Wait and see.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#152 Post by maestro » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:27 am

Cease&Desist wrote:So, here it is: [a complete point list]
Thanks!  One thing to note, though:[spoiler]There is no spider (or oracle) in this game, so rather than calling it the spider's cave or the oracle's cave, I'd just call it the cave in Llewdor.  My intention was that neither the spider nor the oracle came to occupy the cave until sometime later.  I suppose that Radiant, in his KQ3+ game, can, if he wants, supply the reason that the spider and/or oracle came to occupy the cave.  However, his game is incompatible with mine, since he moves the kidnapping to when Alexander was about five or seven years old.[/spoiler]
Cease&Desist wrote:When you first play the game and are not aware of the additional information given here in the forum, that bottle filling might often be forgotten during game play and result in dead ends. Of course this makes the game much harder, so a documentation file really is helpful.
True, but the early Kings Quest games had very little documentation, and this game was meant to emulate the early Kings Quest games in that regard.  Also, since this game is very short, the frustration of not knowing exactly what to do makes the game last longer.  (When testing the game, I often forgot to pump, myself!)  Also, note that, although there are "action" dead-ends caused by failing to take the right action (i.e. failing to pump your breasts at the right time), there are no "inventory" dead ends.  If you fail to get a certain inventory item, either you can go back and get it, or the game does not let you get past a certain point.
Cease&Desist wrote:In KQ2 1/4: BI, every command seems to be logged
Thanks for pointing that out.  I was totally unaware of that.  I suppose that I should take that out, but, as I'm lazy, I won't unless I put up another patch to fix some other critical problem (which is unlikely at this point).
Cease&Desist wrote:[T]heir work [on KQ9] was most impressing to me.
It was to me, too.  I was also looking forward to playing Akril's version of KQ9, but, unfortunately, she stopped her version at around the same time that Phoenix stopped its version.

Deloria
Peasant Status

#153 Post by Deloria » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:30 pm

I have all the inventory items that can be found in Daventry, and it says in the points list that I'm supposed to go to the path that leads out of Daventry, but where is that?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#154 Post by maestro » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:05 pm

Yes, but Valanice has not read the points list, has she?  How would Valanice know about the path?

Hint #1:
[spoiler]Talk to the other characters in the game.  You can say "ASK ABOUT" followed by the thing you want to ask about.  Keep doing that until you are unable to get any more information out of them.  The path will not be accessable until Valanice (not you) knows of its existence.[/spoiler]

Hint #2:
[spoiler]The path that Valanice takes to Llewdor is exactly the reverse of the path that Alexander takes to Daventry.  When Alexander first arrived in Daventry from Llwedor, what screen did he arrive at?[/spoiler]

BTW, welcome to this forum from the TSL forum.  There have been numberous posts on the TSL forum (formerly KQ9 forum) to the effect, "Isn't it a shame that Valanice only got half a game to play in.  Wouldn't it be nice if she had her own complete game."  Well, one of the reasons that I wrote this game was to satisfy that desire.  However, Yonkey has forbidden my to promote this game on his forum, since he found the game offensive (even though he never played it--at least at the time; I don't know whether he's played it since).  There's even a recent poll about Valanice where Yonkey said
Yonkey wrote:Poor gal only got to play in one game.
knowing full well about my game.  Although I'm not allowed to mention the game on his forum, if someone else makes a comment about it, I can reply to the comment (which I've done once).  So you, or someone else, might mention on the TSL forum that there is a fan game where Valanice is the main player.

I know that my game could use some improvement, so anyone who wishes is perfectly welcome to make an enhanced version of my game, improving the story and the graphics.  I don't claim any copyright to the original material in the game (since there's hardly any, anyway), so you don't need to ask my permission, although I may offer assistance if I like your plans of how to improve the game.

Deloria
Peasant Status

#155 Post by Deloria » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks for replying :) I'll comment on it, but I can't guaruntee my post won't be deleted.

Edit: By the way, what do I do when the message "Your left/right breast can no longer produce milk" comes up?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#156 Post by maestro » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:29 pm

That's a dead end, so you have to go back to an earlier saved game.  This game has no inventory dead ends.  If you lack a needed inventory item, the game does not let you progress until you obtain it.  But if you have all the needed inventory items but fail to take the correct action, you may reach a dead end.

The message you got will come up if you wait to long between pumpings.  I don't remember the exact game parameters, but I think that you have to wait at least four turns between pumpings, but not more than twelve.  If you wait too long, you will loose your ability to produce milk.  A turn is any time you change rooms.  A seperate turn count is kept for each breast.  Once you fill all the bottles, you no longer have to pump, and your breasts will still be able to produce milk when you locate Alexander.  The excitement of seeing your son causes your breasts to produce milk again.

I suppose one enhancement that I could add to the game is to allow Valanice to eat Fenugreek seed to restore lactation if her breasts run dry.  I work in a vitamin store where I sell Fenugreek seed to women to help them with lactation.  It's a really neat job, because, whenever a woman comes in the store to buy anything, I get to look her straight in the eyes and ask, "Are you breastfeeding?" and watch her reaction.  Most women will smile and say "yes" or "no," but occasionally a woman will be shocked that I asked such a question.  That makes the job interesting.

One place I could put the Fenugreek plant in the game is where the mushroom is.  But I don't have the time to do that right now, and I don't plan on making any upgrades to this game.

Deloria
Peasant Status

#157 Post by Deloria » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:55 pm

Okay. Thanks. :)

itech
Peasant Status

help

#158 Post by itech » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:47 am

Where do you get the key to the door in the mountain?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#159 Post by maestro » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:51 am

For some reason, my e-mail notification isn't working; otherwise I would have replied sooner.

Hint #1:
[spoiler]In adventure games, keys always seem to be in one place.  What would that place be?[/spoiler]

Hint #2:
[spoiler]If you were Queen Valanice, where would you keep your keys?[/spoiler]

Hint #3:
[spoiler]Have you looked in the living quarters?[/spoiler]

Hint #4:
[spoiler]Have you checked every possible place in the bedroom?[/spoiler]

Spoiler:
[spoiler]Walk up to the nightstand in the bedroom.  Type OPEN DRAWER.  Type LOOK IN DRAWER.  Type GET KEY.[/spoiler]

itech
Peasant Status

#160 Post by itech » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:11 am

it tells me that that key does not fit that lock.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#161 Post by maestro » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:30 am

Yes.  Actually, you cannot open that door in this game.  The purpose for getting the key was to get you to look in the keyhole.  I presume that you found what was in the keyhole.  You have no further use for that door.

SilverTrumpet
Peasant Status

KQ 2 1/4

#162 Post by SilverTrumpet » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:18 pm

I hope this won't be considered digging up an old topic, but I can't get anything to work. NAGI says it's missing a file, and I own legitimate KQ games, but they're too old for this computer (yet they are installed so the setup won't recognise them). So what can I do to fix that?

Thanks!

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#163 Post by maestro » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:30 am

You can download the complete game by clicking on this secret link.  You can download the game with NAGI by clicking on this secret link.  Neither of these requires any files to be installed on your computer already.  The patch works with any of these.

The above links are secret, so please don't tell anyone about them.

SilverTrumpet
Peasant Status

#164 Post by SilverTrumpet » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:25 pm

er... thanks. I hope there was no sarcasm there. I can't tell :)

Anyway, I have a question: Where is this restroom in Llewdor that I'm supposed to change into the woman clothes in? I can't seem to go to "the house behind the tavern".

Thanks!

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#165 Post by maestro » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:36 am

Hint #1:
[spoiler]Remember that one of the tasks that Mannannan assigned the young Gwydion to do was to empty his chamber pot.  What does that tell you about Llwedow?[/spoiler]

Hint #2:
[spoiler]Llewdor has no indoor plumbing.[/spoiler]

Hint #3:
[spoiler]You are looking for an outhouse.[/spoiler]

Spoiler:
[spoiler]It is one of the small non-descript buildings behind the tavern.  You have to stand very close to the building and type "LOOK AT BUILDING."  "READ SIGN."  "OPEN DOOR."  The area that you have to stand in is rather small, and you must be standing right against the building, so move near one of those buildings and press the up-arrow key to get as close as possible.  Then type the above commands.

For a funny easter egg, while in the rest room, save your game and try to do what you would do normally in a rest room.  Then restore your game, use your immagination, and think of what you could type to trigger the easter egg.[/spoiler]

SilverTrumpet
Peasant Status

#166 Post by SilverTrumpet » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:04 pm

Got another question (and I've got a bug report): No matter what I do, the men won't let me take Alexander back. Am I supposed to have him in the land of the dead?

And I found that when I went back into the hole after digging my way into the well/cave, valanice was there on the bottom as well as my character at the top, ready to climb. I got rid of her by climbing over her. So just in case you wanted to look into that.  :)

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#167 Post by maestro » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:59 pm

Alexander stays behind.  You can't actually take him because that would change the rest of the series, which is not permitted.  Notice also that, since you are dead, you loose all of your inventory except for magical items.  As they say, "You can't take it with you."

If I ever come up with an enhanced version of the game, instead of the Land of the Dead, I may simply have Mannanan magically transport Valanice to a cave underground, where she has to dig herself out.  But the KQ2 graphics of the ferryman worked perfectly for the Land of the Dead, so I couldn't resist using them.  I have no plans for an enhanced version at the moment, though.

Thanks for the bug report.  The game does have a few minor bugs, but I have no intention of fixing them right now because (1) I'm lazy, (2) I'm not getting paid, and (3) I'm busy with other things right now.  I'm only fixing show-stoppers right now, such as the pirate thing, for which I have provided the patch.

SilverTrumpet
Peasant Status

#168 Post by SilverTrumpet » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:34 pm

oh that's right, it would change the series. Should've thought of that. I can't find a way to make Alexander live, either. I gave the men the bottles, fed Alex, sang song, but he still dies! what am I missing?

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#169 Post by maestro » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:58 pm

In order for Alexander to live, you must feed him with both breasts and provide at least eight filled bottles.  It is not necessary to give the bottles to anyone; the kidnappers will take the bottles from you if you don't give them to them.

Could you load up a saved game from when Valanice is in the cave and press the TAB key.  Then check to see that you have filled up at least eight bottles.

If you have done the above and Alexander still dies, then please send me one or more saved games and I shall look into it.  If you could, please send me one saved game from right before you feed Alexander for the first time, one from right after you feed Alexander for the second time, and one from right before you enter the throne room.  If you don't still have all three of these, then at least send me one saved game from near the end of the game.  Thanks.