Incomplete QFG character editor

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

Incomplete QFG character editor

#1 Post by Charlemagne » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:48 am

Fairly late last year I began working on a QFG saved character editor, suitable for those of you who want to cheat and make a character with maximum stats. (I just felt like trying something new, honest. :)) Unfortunately, life interrupted my effots with little annoyances like looking for a new job tending to take precedence.

I was always planning to "open-source" it when it was complete, but since I'm still busy at the moment I decided to release what I already have. The editor's basic framework is complete but I haven't worked out the precise algorithm the games use to encode stats and inventory items (looks like hex values represented by ASCII characters; quite a kludge).

The editor is coded in ANSI C and I've released it under the BSD licence. It should compile on any platform that provides the C standard libraries, though I haven't yet tried with Windows. Do with it as you will, and if anyone has any suggestions about the algorithm, I could probably be persuaded to continue working on it. ;) Also note that though the code mentions a manual I haven't compiled one yet.

Enjoy!

Incomplete QFG character editor source code
Incomplete QFG character editor source code (ZIP archive)
Incomplete QFG character editor ELF binary (compiled for OpenBSD)
Last edited by Charlemagne on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by maestro » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:00 pm

I am trying to extract the source code, but have been unable to do so.  WinZip should work for extracting files from a tar file, shouldn't it?  When I try to open the file using WinZip, I get a message "Error reading header after processing 0 entries."

I then downloaded a shareware program from http://www.download.com called Tar 98.  The program costs $495, but there is a 5-hour free trial period.  I tried to open the file with this program, but it was unable to extract any files.

I would like to contribute to this project.  Could you please provide the source code in a format that I can extract with WinZip.  Thanks.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#3 Post by Charlemagne » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:13 pm

Strange. I've never had a problem extracting a gzipped tarball with WinZip. But then, I haven't tried since the OpenBSD project replaced GNU tar. Maybe WinZip only works with GNU tar files. I'll see if I can re-archive them in .zip format.

EDIT: I've uploaded a .zip file with the source code.

maestro
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by maestro » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:58 pm

I was thinking of writing a GUI for it, but then I looked at your source code, and I can see that the code for reading and writing the file hasn't been written yet; the program merely displays a menu.  So there would be no point in writing a GUI for it at this time.  But if anyone wants to write the code to read and write the file, then I would be willing to write the GUI.  I could probably figure out the other part as well, but it would take a lot of time, and I don't have the time right now, but a GUI I could throw together in a few hours.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#5 Post by Charlemagne » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:34 am

GUI? Heh, let's not put the cart before the horse. :) As I said, I haven't worked out the algorithm or file format for the saved character files so obviously I can't implement the functions to write one.