The Black sky R.I.P (Will only be in Demo version)

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#76 Post by Fribbi » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:34 pm

I don't know about that. I am not very good programmer but I am very good background artist but I only bring bad luck to everybody. I am cursed to be unlucky.  :cry

But like I said if I am going to create another game it will then take only  one room or three rooms. I am not going to work on big game like that one again. The The Black Sky game was crap anyway. I was going to stop myself from continue working on it because I had no idea what I doing with that game. But I really didn't want to make people disapointed again. But when things like that happens to me what else can I do then?

To all peoples who waited and supported me for doing this game I am really sorry about this. But I wil try to make another game and try to release it in next week. I can't be that unlucky again. :cry

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#77 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:02 pm

On your next game be sure to announce it when you're about 70% finished with it because I seem to see a trend in your games you made.

All the best.

EDIT: Can someone move this post to Fribis game thread. Thanks. Done.

El_Listo
Royal Servant Status

#78 Post by El_Listo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:36 pm

Dude, aren't you making all this up? So you had more games canceled because computer problems? That's too coincidence...

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#79 Post by fluxmaster » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:49 pm

Fribbi, you're not unlucky; luck has nothing to do with it.  This didn't happen to you because of bad luck; it happened because YOU DIDN'T BACK UP YOUR FILES! (or you did, but didn't do it enough.)

Something similar happened to me several years ago.  I was working on my project, and my computer just died.  It would not start or anything.  I simply walked down the street, purchased a new computer, set it up, loaded my backup files, and kept working without missing a beat.

You can avoid loosing your data by following good practices.  You should back up your files every day, and keep several backup copies.  It's too late to do it after your computer crashes.  You can continue to write games or do artwork or whatever you like, and bad luck will not effect you.  Simply back up your files every day.

You are not cursed or anything like that; just undisciplined.  Either that, or you don't have enough money to purchase sufficient backup media.
Fribbi wrote:I tryed to use the backupfile but it didn't work.
You should have several backup copies, not just one.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#80 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:59 pm

Fribbi you say your PC crashed and you lost all your sprites within AGS, didnt you just have all the images stores elsewhere on the PC?

I'm sure when you create a image or a sprite you just import it into AGS and the actual image file stays on the PC within whatever folder it was?

I still think you shouldnt give up, do you think the AGDs would give up so easily? Come on this is your game! The Black Sky! You've got to finish it, just think of it this way, if you have to re-do some things like sprites or backgrounds use this "chance" to make those things better! Take more time and make the whole thing better!

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#81 Post by Fribbi » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:10 am

I uploaded most of the backgrounds on the internet but not the sprites. Without the sprites I can't work on this game. Beside the game was bad. It didn't have any new great puzzles just a great background images and ugly sprites.

I am working on a new game but it will be shorter game in this time. I hope I can finish it so I can realease it in next week.

I haven't got a name of it yet.

But it will have Roger Wilco, Leisure Suit Larry and King Graham and Simon the sorceror. It will be very easy game and should take you maybe one and half hour to waste on. I have already finish two screen rooms for it and the game is not even 2 mb. So in other word I have not gave up on creating a computer game. I have just give up creating a big game. It will easier for me to create smaller game than large game wich contains so little puzzles.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#82 Post by fluxmaster » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:14 pm

If you think of this project as a practice exercise and a learning experience, then you have learned a lot from it.

Remember:  DATA LOSS IS 100% PREVENTABLE!

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#83 Post by Fribbi » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:12 pm

Well the new name for my game is "The wrong game".

It's about Simon Sorceror wich find a magic urn vase and when he open it a evil spirit comes out and lock inside the magic vase. He will met some friendly neighbours wich wants him to help them out but Simon is the only wizard inside wich is trapped inside the magic vase.

The game is based from one of my favorite joke. So yes this is just a short joke game.

And since the game are very short this will be the only screenshot from that game. But in this screenshot you see a tomb and very near it is the magic urn.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#84 Post by Fribbi » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:21 pm

I am also trying to give Fribbi (not me) a new outlook. But that is for another game. I am not going to make again The Black Sky but I want to try to make a game again with Fribbi with newer outlook.

Here is some Exsample.

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#85 Post by Parhelion » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:19 am

This may be a dumb suggestion, but . . .

Perhaps some of the sprites can be retrieved from the Black Sky demo?  I wouldn't know how to go about doing that, but if it were possible, someone either here or at the AGS forum might be able to help.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#86 Post by Fribbi » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:44 pm

I have all of the backgrounds but not the sprites. I am working on the sprites now so please excuse me i have to work on it again but Fribbi will have new outlook in this time. I will even skip some backgrounds I used in first version. The game will now be like a comic strip. The reason is I am not veru good game designer. I am maybe good storyteller and background artist but not very good game designer. The game should be finished in next month I hope...well if I get not so clumsy again with this game.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

AGDI Joker went is in casion now.

#87 Post by Fribbi » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:38 pm

I have quit working on any more games now. And since I am not working on any games now I have no reason to be here. And I won't come here back until the Quest for glory 2 are finally ready. I am not in my best mood to joke around here anymore. It is because of my own personal problems I don't want to discuss about here. So goodbye everybody. So please don't worry about me I'll be back soon. I so hate myself right now.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

If you must

#88 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:31 am

Sorry to hear about that, Fribbi.  We will all miss you and hope real life gets better for you soon.  Try to stay positive. :)

Geez, another old-timer is leaving.  This is getting serious.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#89 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:59 am

Dear Fribbi,

I used to find myself a funny guy but some things I saw here proved otherwise. You were funny long before I was, you had more character behiend your posts then an emotional wreck like myself could ever have, You  had better threads than I could dream of. Please don't go Fribbi, the loss would be too great.

Fribbi, You've been here since early 2001. Were the last 4 years just a waste for you? Is this about SIS? are you letting them win? without you who can we rely on to be our priceless entertainer?

You've shared so much with all of us here that it would be like saying goodbye to a dear friend after living across the street for years. There's nothing that could replace you no matter who decides to live in that house.

One reason you need to stay is for the Circus thread. That thread is arguably the best and definetly the funniest around! Without you that thread is gone and we are left here with nothing but a memory of what used to be, That's not good enough!

If the reasons you're leaving for are too serious then I don't mean to prod but it will be a great loss for our communitty for you to go the way of The Knight. Please don't go Fribbi  :cry

In Hopes,
Rob

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#90 Post by Fribbi » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:54 am

Ok first of all I am sorry what I said in yesterday but I was not in my happy mood.  :o

When I trying to find another interesting link for the cirkus in my last time I came into this page wich really opened my mind. And right now I am finally understanding me better now.

Interesting to learn what I have learn about myself now?

http://www.learntarot.com/

But this is tarotpage wich I can learn about what they means. But three cards has spoken the truth about myself.  :rolleyes

This is the first card wich is about me and my behavior here.

The fool

Actions.

beginning
entering a new phase
striking out on a new path
expanding horizons
starting something new
beginning an adventure
going on a journey
heading into the unknown

being spontaneous
living in the moment
letting go of expectations
doing the unexpected
acting on impulse
feeling uninhibited
surprising someone
feeling carefree

having faith
trusting the flow
staying open
letting go of worry and fear
feeling protected and loved
living in joy
recapturing innocence
believing

embracing folly
accepting your choices
taking the "foolish" path
pursuing a pipe dream
being true to yourself
taking a "crazy" chance
trusting your heart's desire

There are so much truth in this words.

When I started to hate myself and wished I was dead because everything I do are just worthless and everybody loves to laugh at me because I'm just a fool to everybody I went to read more on other cards to leaqrn the truth about myself and came at this one wich also speaks the truth about me. And that opened my mind why I was feeling so sad. :(

Hanging man

ACTIONS

letting go
having an emotional release
accepting what is
surrendering to experience
ending the struggle
being vulnerable and open
giving up control
accepting God's will

reversing
turning the world around
changing your mind
overturning old priorities
seeing from a new angle
upending the old order
doing an about-face

suspending action
pausing to reflect
feeling outside of time
taking time to just be
giving up urgency
living in the moment
waiting for the best opportunity

sacrificing
being a martyr
renouncing a claim
putting self-interest aside
going one step back to go two steps forward
giving up for a higher cause
putting others first

And do you know why I am getting stronger now. Well it is what this card says.  I just have to accept my life how it is now.  |I

Strength

ACTIONS

showing strength
knowing you can endure
having a gallant spirit
feeling an unshakable resolve
taking heart despite setbacks
having stamina
being a rock

being patient
dealing calmly with frustration
accepting others
taking time
maintaining composure
refusing to get angry
showing forbearance

being compassionate
giving others lots of space
tolerating
understanding what others are feeling
accepting
forgiving imperfection
being kind

achieving soft control
persuading
working with
guiding indirectly
being able to influence
tempering force with benevolence
demonstrating the strength of love

This is what I have always trying to do here but still that first card The fool is still affecting me.  I was like in that Hanging Man card but  I am feeling better now and I am going to learn more on those Tarot cards. They speaks the truth at least for me. I know I sound weird now but I am really getting better now. I am not on any drug if you thought about that. I was just angry about myself and how my live was wasted but after reading those words what those Tarot cards means I am finally understanding who I am. At least the Strength card describe me best now.
:D

And no this was never about what SIS said to me. This personal problem is something I have being fighting since I was 17 years old and I  am still fighting it. I am not sick if you thought that. But when I was on that age I tryed to kill myself and well I am still alive and trying to see the light in my life. The Black Sky game was going to be my new hope of my happy future but I blew it and that is why I was again thinking about my death again. But like I said I am always trying to ignore that thought and trying to see the light and the hope for the better future.   ;)

I still can't beleave I am still alive being without job in 5 years living with parents who are getting so tired of me but hey they still love me even I sometimes  make arguement with them and my younger brother are going to move from the house in near the end of the year and he is going to take his own computer with him. Yes that's right the computer I am using right now. When that happens I can no longer be here unless I get my own computer. I have tryed and tryed to apply for a job but nothing happens. I am always ignored. That's why I am really hating myself. That's why I really wanted to hurry on this game. But times I have left here are so short now and I can never make big game again unless ...well you know now why. I know I am a wimp. :cry  And those guy from SIS are wimp too but I am more wimp than they are. They got friends and propably much better to do than write bullshit like this.  :cry

Ok enough of this. Since I am back I am going to be stronger now because I am a big figthter who keeps fighting even I am still a fool and wishing to be dead now. :)

BTW 8 August is my father's birthday but he is 62 year old now. But please save it. Don't wish for him happy birthday ok. He is not even a member here.
I am going to give him a better pillow so he can sleep better in every nights because he snore so aloud and he is always so angry at me on every morning. I blame his old pilliow for that.   :lol

Da_elf
Knight Status

#91 Post by Da_elf » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:37 pm

hey dude good to hear your not going to leave. blacksky was one of the most openly developped games here and im sure everybody enjoyed reading the updates. i do hope to see you deveolping something new.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#92 Post by fluxmaster » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:00 pm

Fribbi wrote:I have tred and tred to apply for a job but nothing happens. I am always ignored.

What type(s) of job(s) have you been applying for?  Are you only applying for the perfect job, or are you willing to consider any type of employer that will hire you?  If you've been out of work for a long time, I would just try to find any job at all, even if it's a job that you don't like.  It would be a great boost to your self-esteem to be able to earn money and move out from your parents' home.

What are your job-hunting techniques?  Do you have a professional-looking resume?  Do you proof-read it for gramatical and spelling errors?  How do you dress when you go to job interviews?  Do you fill out the job application completely?  Never, ever, ever leave a section of the job application blank with a note to "see resume."  How well do you answer the interview questions?  Do you write a thank-you note to the person that interviewed you?  Always, always, always write a thank-you note to the person that interviewed you.  If there are five hundred applicants for one open position, and you are the only one who has written a thank-you note, you are in a very good position to be offered the job.  Do you follow up on the job interview?  Always call the interviewer seven days after the interview to inquire about the status of your application and to remind him that you are still interested.  Finding a job is a lot about conforming to accepted standards, but before you can conform to those standards you have to know what they are.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that you are not cursed!  From reading your posts, you appear to be somewhat undisciplined.  Finding a job requires a lot of self-discipline, but if you can learn self-discipline and adhere to accepted standards, you can find a job.  Remember,

DISCIPLINATOS FORTUNA JUVAT.  (Fortune favors the disciplined.)

Let us know the details of your job searches, and we will be able to help you.  It's probably one or more errors in technique that are preventing you from finding a job.

What jobs have you held before?  How did you loose them?  Understanding that may help you find a new job.

Understanding yourself is important, but in finding a job, understanding what other people want is often more important.

Whatever you do, don't give up on writing games.  You have a lot of artistic talent.  The games that you've produced so far look like good practice exercises.  Think of them that way, not as failures.  Even more so than finding a job, writing a game takes a tremendous amount of self-discipline.

Right now, though, I would focus most of my energy on analyzing your job-hunting techniques and seeing where they could be improved.  Most job applications and resumes are simply tossed out with only a cursory look because the applicant has made a serious blunder.  If you can avoid that, you will have a very good chance of landing a job.

Remember, let us know what you are doing, and ask us for help.  We can help you.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#93 Post by Fribbi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:44 am

Thanks for kind words.

I still don't know what job I am looking for. But I just want a job where I can be happy with and where I can be proud of myself that's all.

This is what my parents and my brother and my halfsister are always trying to say to me. They all want to help me to get a job but they still don't have any clue how. They just don't know what I really want.  And I don't know what I really want. Ok I sometimes think about being a moviestar but that is just dream. My last job was in Subway 2001 but that ended in 9 days. I was fired because I was too old but everybody who worked with me was 16 years and my manager was 4 years younger than I am beside we were together in gradeschool and I don't know why she didn't like to have me but maybe it was because I teased her when we were together in school and yeah finally she got her revenge on my in this time. But when I asked why she want to fire me,  she told me I was too strong guy and clumsy. She told me I squeese to much tomato on the subway and some others subways are so meshy and she got so many complains from the customer because of me. And she just told me this job don't fit right to me. And she told me I am to nervous in front of the customers. She just told me I should be a gardener because my strong hands will then not make more angry customers and there is nobody there to be scare with. I have be gardener before but that is so boring job.
But my brother is a gardener so I should not say more bad word about that but that job is not for me. But I can't find anything better then I give up and apply for a worse job ever. Garbage job. I know there is a good money in that but can you imagine coming home and smelling like a garbage yack. I just want a clean job that's all. I have always being just a workerman. You know what that mean. It just mean I have work as a gardener, in biscuit factory, workerman for housebuilding master, I have also worked in one supermarket but unfortunatly nobody likes me because I am so clumsy and sometimes I late to work. I am always trying to be more careful and come in job in the right time.

If the game The Black Sky was worked in some computer factory I would be fired right now because how clumsy I am. But lucky me I was working on this game alone so I can only fire myself now. Fribbi you are fired.
Now I am sounding like Donald Trump.

Ok maybe I have said to much strange words about myself now. I am of course really great artist but sometimes I just loose my interest on that but after I tried to make my first game I have being starting to draw art again.  Maybe that is the only thing that fits me perfectly.

I am just noble artist. I can also be a novelist like J.K Rowling because I know I write to much like I am doing now.

I know my behavior here is not normal but I'm feeling ok now.
I can deal with my own personal probems. And you are right. I should not always blame me for those mistake that badly. But the newest unluck I had now is the sponsor who hosted my demo or shall I call it the leftover of The Black Sky had deleted it from his website. But he already told me it was a mistake but he was trying to update his website and oops my demogame was swept away when he did that. So my demo of The black Sky are gone now unless someone who has it can upload it again on the net. See now how unlucky I am.  But in this time it was not my fault.

I guess I have to reconstruct the game again. But I am going to change it now so it will look better in this time. I just need more times to think how to do it.

I apoligize if my english are bad. But I am readar-blind.  If you don't understand me well the problem is I have sometimes difficult to read I never read heavy books. I try to read as carefully I can but sometimes I get tired and the word will then get blurred. But I even try to write my words correctly as I can. This happens too when I are on icelandic forums page. But thankfully I can here correct my spelling errors. In some others forums I write into it is not possible.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#94 Post by fluxmaster » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:42 pm

Okay, first things first:  Finding you a job.  You should be spending a few hours a day looking for a job.  If you do it all day long you will get too depressed, but you need to do it every day.  Get the local newspaper, read through the help-wanted ads, and circle any job that you're capable of, even if it is a job that you would not enjoy doing.  Right now you cannot afford to be choosy; you need to take any job available.  I don't know about Iceland, but, in the United States, the Sunday newspaper has the most help-wanted ads.  Be careful not to circle through the phone number.  You can also use the Internet to look for a job, but, again, don't be choosy; apply to any job you are capable of.

Then follow through with the steps I outlined in my previous post.  Do you have a resume.  If you like, you can post your resume here, and we can critique it.  Delete your address and phone number before you post it here, if you like.  You should always send a cover letter with a resume.  You can post your cover letter(s) here as well, and we can critique them, too.  (Please translate them into English for us; my Icelandic is not very good.)  Then let us know exactly what you did to follow through with each potential job.  Did you telephone?  Apply in person?  By e-mail?  What did they say?  Did you fill out an application?  How were you dressed?  You should wear a business suit and tie every time you come in contact with anyone with the company, even if it's only to drop off an application.  You should not be wearing any earrings, nose rings, other piercings, and no more than one ring on one hand.  Get a good haircut, and have your hair neatly combed.  Your shoes should be professional looking and well polished.

You should apply to at least twenty jobs each week, preferably one hundred or more.  You have to apply to a lot of jobs to get hired.  Finding a job is a job in itself.

If you like, we can start a new thread in the Off-Topic Forum to continue this discussion.

Regarding your Black Sky Demo, I can upload the last version for you, if you like.  But you should always keep backup copies on hard media of everything you do.  Relying on a web server to back-up your data is not good enough.

Keep us posted, keep asking for help, and good luck!

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#95 Post by Fribbi » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks for the advice and about the sunday paper it is the same here in Iceland. I usually try to get a job by e-mails I sometimes visit the company or supermarket but the manager are sometime not available then. So it is better for me to use E-mails. I hate it when the manager or the boss decide to run away when I arrives in.

I thank youagan  for the advice. BTW I have never wear a rings hahahaha or tattoo just glasses. I have never thought about this before about the shoes before. I think  they don't care about my trollshoes. I wil try harder looking for job in next week. I know I am lazy on this but to tell you the truth I am afraid with this. I always think it will be the same story again. To bad for me lots of the job that is avalable in Iceland needs people who has  more educations and car license and most of them are only for womens. I was going to be in the Clint Eastwood movie "The flags of our Father" wich is some kind of war movie and it is now being filmed somewhere in Iceland. But after I heard what they pay for it I chanced my mind on it. 5000kr was going to be paid in icelandic kr for working on that movie as a co-actor in each days.  Some icelandics guys will say some few words before they die in that film. I sure hope everything will goes well with this film. Btw it was so strange to see the armory driving past me when I was walking in the city in Iceland but we normally don't have any army.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#96 Post by fluxmaster » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:49 pm

Okay, so remember, you need to apply for jobs every day.  Set yourself a quota of at least twenty job applications per week.  If you apply for three jobs a day, you can make that quota.  And post here every day, saying, "Today I applied for job A, job B, and job C.  I got a call for an interview for job B.  The interview is scheduled for next week, etc."  If we see anything you're doing wrong, we'll point it out so that you can do better next time.
Fribbi wrote:To bad for me lots of the job[s] that [are] avalable in Iceland need[] people who ha[ve] . . . car license . . .
So get a driver's license.
Fribbi wrote:. . . and most of them are only for women.
Is that legal?  In the United States it is illegal to specify in a help-wanted ad a preference for men or women.  Get a lawyer and sue!  Or write to your representative in the All-Thing and get them to change the law.

Da_elf
Knight Status

#97 Post by Da_elf » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:12 pm

actually im sure lingerie stores would prefer to hire women

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#98 Post by fluxmaster » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:14 am

Well, Fribbi wrote, "most of them are only for women," so I don't think that most of the jobs were in lingerie stores.  The one time that I was in Reykjavik, I didn't notice a lingerie store on every corner.  Then again, since Fribbi said that he only wanted to apply for a job that he liked, perhaps he was only applying to work in lingerie stores.   :lol

I don't know about in Barbados, but, in the United States, a man could probably sue and win if he were denied a job in a lingerie store because he was a man.  (In fact, I'm surprised more men haven't done that.)  Once, when I was looking for work, I went to a lingerie store and asked if they hired men.  The woman told me that they have, in the past, hired men.  But I decided not to apply because I thought I would be uncomfortable working there.  (Just think of all the jokes that my female co-workers would be telling about me behind my back.)

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#99 Post by Fribbi » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:10 am

There is no need to sue them for that.  What I mean the most of the job that is available  is only for a womens.

I would get a driving licence if I had money for it. And how am I suppose to get money for license when I don't have any money on me.

(Hey this is funny. Now I am sounding like Fribbi in the Black Sky when he was asked for a meat for the wolf)  

I have being sick in this week. I got that influense again. This has being so strange summer in Iceland. In July it was very hot in summer but now it is getting cold and windy again. I will try to apply for a job in next in when I am feeling better. This August month is not my month. First I blew it with my game and now I am sick. What will it be next? :|

(

Da_elf
Knight Status

#100 Post by Da_elf » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:16 pm

im sure you could sue. however (and dont get me wrong im reeally not trying to instigate things but alot of people would agree with me) this whole suing thing seems the be a huge thing in the states. look at that old woman who sued mcdonnalds for selling her a hot cup of coffee without a warning label on it to tell her it was hot. even though she was within her legal rights, more often than not if i was a judge i would have said. "you know your going to win this case. however i just have to tell you that whether you win or loose your still a jackass" hehe. so yeah sure i could sue for being refused a job, but its a waste of time better spent looking for other jobs. this whole sueing thing is highly overrates. and if you dont agree with me...sue me hehehe

:rollin  :rollin  :rollin  added a few of these so people know i mean this in good humor