Endless Rooms

This is a public forum, where you can find out everything you wanted to know about making games. Please don't use this forum as a place to recruit new members.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Endless Rooms

#1 Post by Klytos » Sat May 28, 2005 2:05 pm

I was playing SQ3 today and I came up with a problem if I was to script parts of it in AGS. Not that I am scripting it, I just think about these things sometimes.

The scene in ScumSoft where Roger is in the circular corridor and he keeps walking north (or south I suppose). It's a circular room and he will walk past the same door without changing room. Is this sort of thing possible in AGS?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Sat May 28, 2005 2:25 pm

Not that I am scripting it, I just think about these things sometimes.
I remember you asking here about the KQ3-Medusa puzzle because you just thought of those things sometimes. ;)

It WOULD be a tricky thing to script. Best way to handle it, I think, would be to create a room with a Roger-object/character, an outerwall-object and an innerwall-object. Block the walk-button on the interface and create a GUI with arrows and a stop button on the right. The left/right arrows would make the closeup-Roger walk as usual, but the up/down arrows would make him animate his south/north-walking loop in place while the outerwall and innerwall animate to simulate room scrolling. Have a variable run along to keep track of Roger's position in the hallway, so the inner and outer doors are displayed on the inner and outer-wall at appropriate times. (there's a distance-frame for the outer doors when you're one space to the south of them)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#3 Post by navynuke04 » Sat May 28, 2005 4:20 pm

I believe they had a scrolling room like this in demo quest. You might look there...

Meerbat
The Winged Suricate

#4 Post by Meerbat » Sat May 28, 2005 7:09 pm

Or you might want to ask Radiant...
*whistles innocently*

Klytos

#5 Post by Klytos » Sun May 29, 2005 3:07 am

I remember you asking here about the KQ3-Medusa puzzle because you just thought of those things sometimes.
Actually, I wasn't working on KQ3 then.   :lol I don't think anyway. To be honest, it started off as a veiled way to ask how the alleys in QFG2VGA were being done cause it's a similar situation.

Thats actually the way I thought of doing it too Erpy. Thanks.

Navy, I've never checked out the demo quest, I think I might.

Radiant
Knight Status

#6 Post by Radiant » Mon May 30, 2005 9:11 am

Who, me? :)

Da_elf
Knight Status

#7 Post by Da_elf » Mon May 30, 2005 12:29 pm

i was thinking about doing a room where its basically the same over and over and over again for quite a few times untill finally you get out of it. basically i thought that if i used a some sort of variable then everytime you leave the room it adds 1 to the variable then immediately after that it does a variable check and if the number is the right number then you finally get to goto a different room. if its not correct then you start in the south part of that room again

Klytos

#8 Post by Klytos » Mon May 30, 2005 12:33 pm

That's actually what I used on the KQ3 remake IA is working on. For the  desert (and the ocean) you go through the same room about 7 times before you die. Each time you leave the room to the left it add 1 to the var, to the right it subtracts 1. If you reach 7 you die.

I was actually trying to work out how I would do a room like say the alley's in QFG2. Where it continually changed yet is huge. Or in SQ3 like my example.

Radiant
Knight Status

#9 Post by Radiant » Tue May 31, 2005 9:10 pm

Oh, yeah, that's easy. In the original KQ3, there's only one room for desert (apart from the 'early desert' where Medusa appears) and only one for the sea. Ditto for the sea in KQ2 or KQ4, among others, and QfG2's desert, QfG3's savannah, etc. If AGI can do that, then so can AGS.