Who likes the new Tales of Monkey Island?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

I like it
88%
I don't like it
13%

Total votes: 8

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:14 pm

If you like it, vote. If you don't like it explain why so that those of us who do like it can flame you (kidding). If you haven't bought it yet don't vote until you have (or at least download the demo).

Commence! I loved it. Cant wait for chapter two!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Re: Who likes the new Tales of Monkey Island?

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:01 pm

I've been kinda busy lately so I haven't had a chance to beat Chapter One but what I've played I like. Better than EFMI but not better than CMI

papste
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by papste » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am

I predicted the series from Telltale would not be any good, but nevertheless I have purchased the first episode and really tried to like it. Unfortunately the more I play it, the more it pushes me away. I think i would never be able to get used to the control interface. Sure the 3d graphics are great and the story seems to be fun and entertaining but it just doesn't bring back the legendary monkey island spark. Call me old fashioned or whatever you like, I think the series lost interest after monkey island 3, and they keep messing it up by upgrading the graphics and adding more cinematic stuff but not improving the gameplay and puzzles.

Before you say that the interface had to be evolved due to the fact the its easier to port to the consoles (which are the largest market nowadays), take a look at the Secret of Monkey Island special edition (the remake). The game will be available for both Xbox and PC and somehow they have managed to not mess up the interface in favor of the consoles but to include the best of both worlds in the game.

For me it seems that the Monkey Island special edition gets all the stuff right. People that are in love with the pixelated graphics can enjoy the old P&C version but with full spoken dialogs, but if you are not a fan of pixels you can switch to the new graphics with the press of a button.

I have recently finished playing through King's Quest 1 & 2 and QFG2 by ADGI and I have replayed SQ1 in anticipation to the SQ2 remake by IA which I think will be awesome. Currently im playing Tex Murphy Pandora Directive re-release by GOG.com for 9,99 and i'm enjoying it 10 times more than the Telltale MI episode.

I can't wait for SQ2 remake and Monkey Island Special edition to come out. And I just hope that Gray Matter by Jane Jensen would be worth the wait for me and not be a collection of great graphics with a really bad interface.

MusicallyInspired

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:52 pm

papste wrote:I predicted the series from Telltale would not be any good, but nevertheless I have purchased the first episode and really tried to like it. Unfortunately the more I play it, the more it pushes me away. I think i would never be able to get used to the control interface. Sure the 3d graphics are great and the story seems to be fun and entertaining but it just doesn't bring back the legendary monkey island spark. Call me old fashioned or whatever you like, I think the series lost interest after monkey island 3, and they keep messing it up by upgrading the graphics and adding more cinematic stuff but not improving the gameplay and puzzles.
Ok, you're old fashioned. :D
For me it seems that the Monkey Island special edition gets all the stuff right. People that are in love with the pixelated graphics can enjoy the old P&C version but with full spoken dialogs, but if you are not a fan of pixels you can switch to the new graphics with the press of a button.
That is not true. The speech won't be available in Classic mode. Only with the enhanced graphics. This was unfortunately confirmed on the LucasArts forums.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by papste » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Bummer! Since they managed to integrate the old and new graphics so well i don't see what's the problem with including the speech into the old version as well.

MusicallyInspired

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:07 pm

They said it was a tough decision, but ultimately they decided to leave classic mode absolutely untouched and stick to that.