A Serious QFG Poll

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

What's Your favorite Quest For Glory?

Hero's Quest
7%
Quest For Glory I So You Want To Be A Hero
9%
Quest For Glory II Trial By Fire
19%
Quest For Glory III Wages Of War
7%
Quest For Glory IV Shadows Of Darkness
34%
Quest For Glory 4 1/2 So You Thought You Were A Hero
3%
Quest For Glory 5 Dragon Fire
7%
They Were All Good In Their Own Way
15%

Total votes: 134

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#26 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:23 am

is it just me or is jontas the same guy as sir Ny-whosits? or maybe i'm crazy anyways this is old so i am assuming it was bumped and i think everyone who wanted to voted so if this could be closed that would be super

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#27 Post by Swift » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:35 am

They're using the same avatar, but I very much doubt they're the same person.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#28 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:24 pm

oh well now that's just confusing. i only know who everyone is by the avatar. Speaking of which someone wanna post one for me? lol

Jafar
Super Star

#29 Post by Jafar » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:43 am

Use that one. Its a little big, but it fits your personality. :rollin

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#30 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:43 am

now i just gotta figure out how to put it in. I'll figure it out gimme a few days.

wow that's hilarious. It took me under 30seconds to figure out. Whoever came up with this system was a genius...unless it was Bill Gates. Mad props jafar it does fit me. (is obviously excited but couldn't find the right emoticon)

:D ?

Bonehead
Peasant Status

#31 Post by Bonehead » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:47 pm

Quest for Glory 4, is without a doubt the best Sierra, nay the single best game of all time. Here is an article I wrote sometime back about the good old Qg4:Shadows of Darkness...

Many people see the battle system in this game as a disadvantage. I saw it as an definite plus to the game. It made battles quicker, but still allowed you to control the hero (that is, if you want to). Some battles, such as with the wraiths, are still a challenge.

I also found that the setting of this game was by far the best of any of the QfG series. I would go so far as to say it was the best, and most highly original plots, in any game I can remember. The transsylvanian setting coupled with the slavic folklore, like the leshy or rusalka, make a haunting and memorable game. The setting was so colorful and deep, that the feeling of loneliness and sorrow actually rubs off on you. You can feel the sadness in the lonely Mordavia, and get attached to the characters. As such the sacrifice Toby makes for the girl Tanya was quite touching.

Speaking of characters, I must say that they are all, everyone of them, memorable. From Yuri the innkeeper, to helpless old Nikolai, or even the ghost of the paladin Piotyr, they all standout in my memory perfectly. The characters had an almost eerie depth to them.

One of the best improvements from the previous games was the addition of speaking characters. the most memorable? I would say John-Rhys Davies as the narrator, or the screach of the "hungry, hunting hawk". The addition of voices was one of the best choices they could have made to improve the game.

Now the music...I think that the music from Shadows of Darkness was memorable ( as you might have noticed, this game was highly memorable to me) and, I think, was responsible for most of the depth in the game. I would pay good money to buy a Shadows of Darkness music cd. Just listen to the adventurere's guild music, and then you will fully understand how lonely the game is. Who ever wrote and performed that music, God bless ye.

(and for those of you who care, the name of the song played in the Inn of Mordavia is called Anitra's Dance, composed by Edvard Greig, and its easy to play on guitar if you find the tabs)

Good stuff aside...May the thrice damned Error 52 die a horrible, agonizing death.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#32 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:21 am

wow SOMETHING of mine actually got revived. Cool

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#33 Post by Alias » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:30 pm

QFG5 and QFG3 were the best. I voted 5.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#34 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:24 am

wow there are a lot of voytes here.

Bonehead
Peasant Status

#35 Post by Bonehead » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:57 pm

Alright QG4 is still up there near the top of the polls...

ktchong
Peasant Status

#36 Post by ktchong » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:34 am

Quest for Glory II and IV are the two highlights of the series. They are great for different reasons.

Quest for Glory II has excellent pacing and timing.  The gameplay gives a strong sense of urgency because it has an excellent time limit.  The player knows in advance that Elementals would attack the city at certain days, so he has to quickly gather the information and supplies needed to defeat the Elementals.  Between the attack, there is just enough time for the player to do a little exploration and leveling up.  So the game always remain fast-paced and fresh, and the player is always guided by a strong sense of purpose and urgency during the game.  The player never has to do too much idle fighting and training just for the sake of leveling up, which often leads to boring repetition and frustration in so many other CRPGs.  Quest for Glory is a very tight game, and it probably has the best use of time limit, pacing and timing among PC RPGs.

Quest for Glory IV, on the other hand, has an excellent mood and memorable characters.   The mood is gothic.  The setting, graphics, music, and backgroud are all consistent and have a unified theme--unlike so many other games that want to be everything at once and end up having a little bit of everything and therefore fail to become anything (of a unified whole.)  The NPCs are interesting and memorable, with extremely well-done voiceovers.  Quest for Glory IV has done a great job in building up the gothic atmosphere and mood.

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#37 Post by Ghost_Rider » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:05 am

I voted for QFG4.  I liked them all, so I was tempted to vote that they are all good in their own way... but for me QFG4 is my personal favourite.  

There are many reasons, but the main ones are the music, storyline, and the overall feel of the game.  I like that dark and eerie tone of the game; the gothic feel of it... and the castle is just awesome.  I am fascinated with castles.  I also like the fact that you have to prove yourself to the townspeople.  In every other game people were very trusting of you right off the bat... at least somewhat anyway.

Maybe we should run this poll again once QFG2VGA comes out... I think it will be a whole different ballgame.   ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#38 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:22 am

I posted this 11 months ago no way am I going to start over now. besides baseball sucks anyways

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#39 Post by Music Head » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:45 pm

QFG1VGA first computer game i remember playing and finishised it, never played 4 or 5. Got impatient with 2. Got bored with 3. QFG1 original was good... never got to far in it though. 4.5 was... well... quite rarely humerous but an interesting idea, sortof

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#40 Post by jpnuar1 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:11 am

QFG1 VGA was probably one of, if not the, first computer games I ever played. It holds a special place in my heart for that, and thus why it got my vote.

QFG 3 was the second, and it was ok, but not quite as good as the first, offhand I would blame the mapping system, and the fact that so much of the close-up maps were off limits.

Then I got the anthology CD, which had 1-4 and a demo for 5.

By that point, I hadn't played typing style games for a long time (only about 5 or so years. But at the time, that was about a third of my life, too), which hindered my experience with QFG, and I never managed to beat it. Although of course, now I look back on that time, and laugh at what it did to my mind. Eventually, the "typing" aspect of the game fused into my brain, and I started thinking out everything I did. Best part is that later in the game, (when I was trying to go through a window in Raseir, but couldn't because I was climbing a rope,) my brain eventually started responding to everything I did with "Try another way of saying that". Good times. Good times, although that's only because that's all in my past now, lol :lol

QFG4 wasn't all that great for me (at first. I'm partially through a replay, and its going well so far), for a few reasons. Mostly, there were the bugs in the game, and seeing as I didn't know about turbo at the time, they were a BIG problem. Secondly, the voice of the narrator. Yeah, I know you all loved him, but for it just annoyed me... Finally, timing issues, the fact that you don't get to meet the domovoi unless you sleep in the inn during the first 5 or so nights. I wasn't aware of that the first time I played it, and I didn't even know I was supposed to meet the darned thing! So I ended up playing for about a quarter year (game time) trying to advance the plot before I just gave up...

QFG5 (demo) I didn't like at all, partially because of the 3D system (too hard to walk and do combat), and also largely because the dialogue was no longer under your control. You just clicked on an NPC and they talked to you. Oh, and one more thing, I dunno if they did this in the full version, but what was the deal with having about 10 classes to choose from? Whatever happened to just good old Fighter, Wizard, Thief, or Paladin?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#41 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:07 am

The full game was much better than the demo and I completly agree with your thoughts on QFGIV although you've played it a 100000 times more than I have. I still can't get the game to work after 11 years! once I had a laptop that ran it but right when I got to Katrina for the first time out of the "crypt" it  Error 52ed me outta the game when I went down the stairs to meet her.

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#42 Post by jpnuar1 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:20 pm

Turbo doesn't work for you? And I'm assuming you already have it set to play in 256 colors and all already, right?

And now for my question. If QFG5 is better as the full game, can you tell me what it was like? Did the dialogue improve, 3Dness get easier to controll, and character choices slimmed? Assuming it was good, can you give a brief overview of the plot? And finally, would you reccomend buying it, if I can find it on Ebay or somewhere?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#43 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:20 pm

finding it is well a rare occaision but if you could yes I'd reccomend it. I never played the demo but there are only 3 classes in the final version and an importable Paladin if you don't already have one. The 3dness wasn't necesarrily hard to control it just took some getting used to, I thought it was all right and it is the longest of the series that I have played. If you want the plot you should play the game as it is a great rap up for the series. You can't maintain conversation with someone and say "I am a Quest For Glory Fan" unless you play 5. I think it was an excellent title if you aren't expecting QFGIV

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#44 Post by jpnuar1 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:54 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote: You can't maintain conversation with someone and say "I am Quest For Glory Fan" unless you play 5.
Nah, I'll leave that up to you. I'm perfectly satisfied with merely being allowed to say "I am jpnuar1"... :lol

Radiant
Knight Status

#45 Post by Radiant » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:44 pm

Well, QfG4.5 is not bad as adventure games go. You just have to consider it's a fanmade mod with shots from other games, and even photos, hacked in. But the puzzles are decent. Or indecent. Or both.

Ah but never mind that. Seriously, all four games are really good, but you can't really consider that until you've played them all consecutively (by which I do not mean in a single night...)  I found that, as with fantasy books, the first part of a series is often a bit of a try-out and the second tops it because it really fixes the characters and storyline.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#46 Post by Klytos » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:01 am

My vote went for HQ. It was the first game I ever played and I still hold a nostalgic place in my heart for it. The remake is great BUT it loses the feel of the original IMO. QFG2 was great and more difficult to the original. QFG3 was way too short and QFG4 was way too buggy. I agree usually with BT about not caring about bugs but this game was just too much. 5 was crap.

People give way too much of a hard time to QFG4.5. I understand the AGD's attitude towards it and I respect that. BUT, it's a great little game, fairly well programmed and a damn sight better than a lot of other AGS games out there. Quite frankly, shagging Hilde was funny. Sue me if I'm a sick bastard.  :lol

Radiant
Knight Status

#47 Post by Radiant » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:12 pm

(sues Klytos)

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#48 Post by Klytos » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:45 pm

Radiant wrote:(sues Klytos)
Cheers!

Jenkins Loo
Royal Servant Status

#49 Post by Jenkins Loo » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:16 pm

I choosed the last vote but I never played QFG 4.5, I think there a little "I take that picture from here and I'll stick it there"... I could try it but I just don't have the "energy".

QFG1 older and newer version have their charm and are well shapped and any changewould ruin the game I think. I prefer the point'n click version, less complicate to use for especially if you can't ( never ) find what to type

QGF2 Same here ( about the remake I'm 70% sure there'll be a chest unless ( like in QFG3, 4 etc... ) the carrying weight is changed into quark which make less difficult to have many things in the pockets... ). The difficulty due to text parsed will be gone. BTW, I don't put pressure on artists, it's a good way to discourage devoted hard-workers.

QFG3: It deserve slight changes especially about the interactivity and something about the games could be a little longer maybe. The country is just a pearl but maybe there should be a little more different places... BTW, when you bought from Shapeir a lot of pills, they are still with you and same for the throwing daggers only.

QFG4: The only passage I didn't like the swamp, I feel I would have many land to explore but there's an infinite swampland instead, too bad. And for the castle, the secret passages wasn't useful and there wasn't many dangers in it. Should have been more places in the cave and in the town that I felt too small.

QFG5: How wondrous musics there are :) But the graphics, the interactivity and a feeling of "incomplete" about; even the technical would be good to correct before seeling the game. What I dislike the most are the "bugs and patch you need to download", it's like buy your car with a problem you haven't been told about and discover it then call a mechanic instead of selling a car in 100% good shape. I don't like that in any game, and those kind of mistakes ruins needlessly games and can be avoided. I'm still satisfied of QFG5but I saw better.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#50 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:29 pm

I never had a problem with QFG5 untill I scratched it to bad to work anymore