AGDInteractive - Sierra Adventure Game Remakes Forum
http://www.agdinteractive.com/forum/

A Serious QFG Poll
http://www.agdinteractive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8432
Page 3 of 4

Author:  ktchong [ Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:16 am ]
Post subject: 

Radiant wrote:
Well, QfG4.5 is not bad as adventure games go.


Quest for Glory is not adventure.  I know because I do not play nor like adventure games.  (Haven't adventure games been dead for almost ten years now?)

Anyway, I played adventure games back in the 1980s and early 1990s (e.g., Infocom text parser adventures, and then Sierra and LucasArts classics.)  I played them because there were so few other choices back then; most other genres had not been invented yet.  Honestly, I have never enjoyed playing adventure games too much.

Then began the waves of RPG revolutions in the early 1990s and then late 1990s (i.e., there was a short gap of about 3-4 years between the two periods of RPG revolutions.)  RPGs have kept getting better, but adventure games have remained static and unchanged.  Gradually, RPGs drew me away from adventures, and then I stopped buying adventure games completely.  It was RPGs that ultimately killed adventure games (because the two genres shared so many core audience and had to compete for the same customers.)

While I despise pure adventure games, I love RPGs that have strong adventure elements (e.g., Final Fantasy, Ultima VII Part 2: Serpent Isle, Planescape: Torment, and Quest for Glory!)  RPGs are just so much more open-ended than adventures.  Every obstacle or puzzle in a RPG has multiple solutions.  I absolutely hated the puzzles in adventure games.  Those silly puzzles always have just ONE absolutely illogical and frustrating solution--even when there were so many other obvious, more logical ways to solve that puzzle.  I just do not want to deal with that kind of linear gameplay of one-illogical-solution-per-puzzle and having-to-force-myself-to-think-the-way-the-game-designer-think.

I do not like hardcore RPGs either (i.e., Morrowind, Baldur's Gate.)  However, I am more tolerant of hardcore RPGs over hardcore adventures.

Author:  Brainiac [ Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:50 am ]
Post subject:  Response

Okay, here we go...

ktchong wrote:
...I do not play nor like adventure games.  (Haven't adventure games been dead for almost ten years now?)


Then why are you here?! And no, they have not.

ktchong wrote:
While I despise pure adventure games, I love RPGs that have strong adventure elements (e.g., Final Fantasy, Ultima VII Part 2: Serpent Isle, Planescape: Torment, and Quest for Glory!)  RPGs are just so much more open-ended than adventures.  Every obstacle or puzzle in a RPG has multiple solutions.  I absolutely hated the puzzles in adventure games.  Those silly puzzles always have just ONE absolutely illogical and frustrating solution--even when there were so many other obvious, more logical ways to solve that puzzle.  I just do not want to deal with that kind of linear gameplay of one-illogical-solution-per-puzzle and having-to-force-myself-to-think-the-way-the-game-designer-think.


Okay, I can see your point about the occasionally illogical puzzles and the absurd filler puzzles (sliders, anyone?).  However, though puzzles are indeed vital to an adventure game, even more vital is plot and character.  Dreadful puzzles and poor interface can often be forgiven in the light of a marvelous story.  I also have a great respect for top-grade RPGs (such as Final Fantasy) and multigenric games (such as Quest for Glory, The Legend of Zelda series, and System Shock, to name a few), and I judge them in similar fashion; is the story engrossing?  If it is, you can get away with a lot. :)

Author:  Quest For Glory Fan [ Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:39 am ]
Post subject: 

Did he just say Quest For Glory is not an adventure game because he enjoyed it? I believe I speak for all when I say MORON. Of course that's just one mans opinion.

Author:  Ghost_Rider [ Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

Make that two opinions.  I'm with you on that one.   ;)

Author:  Quest For Glory Fan [ Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Us crazy Canucks gotta stick together I geuss. That's like saying women shouldn't have the right to drive or vote because I don't like one

Author:  Ghost_Rider [ Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:31 am ]
Post subject: 

Yep, it didn't really make any sense.

I re-read it and I'm wondering it the point was that they didn't consider QFG to be an Adventure series, and instead considered it an RPG series.  Maybe he/she was trying to say they like RPG but not Adventure.  Otherwise yes, it makes absolutely no sense.

Author:  Quest For Glory Fan [ Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:52 am ]
Post subject: 

Ghost Rider am I the only one to notice that almost every post you made is exactly after one of mine and most the time it's an agreement or a "BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUTAL"  :lol  not that it's bad as long as you don't take the 7 hour drive to stalk me I'm ok.

Author:  Ghost_Rider [ Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:06 am ]
Post subject: 

LOL

I am just such an agreeable guy, what can I say.  I haven't noticed the thing about posting right after you post though.  Probably being in the same time zone means we're online at similar times which would help with the near-synchronized posting.

You don't have to worry about me coming to your home town, I am too lazy to drive all that way.

Author:  Quest For Glory Fan [ Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

ya but I like the idea of being idolized so much more.

Author:  link5186 [ Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:24 am ]
Post subject: 

Did anybody else think that it was strange how the game with the best story (in my opinion, at least) had the worst bugs? (for anyone who hasn't figured it out yet, I'm partial to shadows). You also have to admit, the voice cast was supurb! (if only they had kept the same voices for Dragon Fire!)

Author:  princealexander [ Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

my vote is for 2
Prince Alex

Author:  AsianMusicGuy [ Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:51 am ]
Post subject: 

5 was awsome i always married Erana n let katrina  burn in hell but dont tell that to Project katrina hehe :rollin

Author:  Quest For Glory Fan [ Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

I hadn't gotten much time into 4 (none at all but I've seen it) so Katrina was never a major character to me so I chose Erana all the time.

edit: whoa 65 votes, I've never seen one that high around here.

Author:  Ghost_Rider [ Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:21 am ]
Post subject: 

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:
whoa 65 votes, I've never seen one that high around here.


Yeah, this is a pretty popular poll, there must be lots of people around that like at least one of the games in the QFG series.

Author:  ck25 [ Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:25 am ]
Post subject:  This poll is misleading!

Hi  :)

I vuoted for QG2 in this poll, but it was a hard decision.

I really liked QG3. The city of Tarna was very interesting. The leopard people were cool. The theif learns acrobatics (but not enough places in the game to steal stuff!). Also, the Paladin character is first used which was great.

But QG3 only got 5% of the vote at the time of this posting! Who else enjoying this game?


QGIV is also great. The combat system in interesting (not sure if better though, but interesting), the atmosphere of the game is great, the artwork and voice acting was great.

I would have liked to have been able to rank each of the games.

Author:  ck25 [ Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Two versus Four

Gronagor wrote:

I could honestly give a crap about a games "stability".  That never factors into my decision into what a 'good' game it is.  Yeah, I can understand that they are annoying, but I loved QFG4.  

Bt


I really enjoy 4, especially when I replayed in a couple years after it was released. But when it was first release it so very badly bug ridden. It constantly crashed which destroyed the atmosphere and playability of the game.

Author:  DKORNBLET06515 [ Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:49 am ]
Post subject:  I like Quest fotr glory 5.

The art was very good of the game,but don't get me wrong, Quest for Glory 4 was good also.

By the way Happy Thanks Giving. :D

Author:  Amizan [ Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

i voted they were all good in their own way (and they were) but deep down i hav something for qfg 4 that i dont hav for any other game

Author:  Adventure_Knight [ Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

4 was probably my favourite, and 4.5 was actually quite fun, too bad you couldn't play the Paladin in that one.

Author:  Brainiac [ Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Uh...no

Adventure_Knight wrote:
4 was probably my favourite, and 4.5 was actually quite fun, too bad you couldn't play the Paladin in that one.


<snort> I think the Paladin would have been completely depowered by the end of that game if he'd been playable.

Author:  Ibanezrg82 [ Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:05 am ]
Post subject: 

Well it seems alot of people put Shadows on a pedestal.

My vote is 1,2,4,5, and 3.

Wages was the worst in my book, seeing as all the puzzles were easy and the combat was too. There was almost a cheat aspect to combat in Wages considering on how fast a PC you had. You could cast 50 flame dart in 10 seconds, or slash 50 times. I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure some know what I mean.

I put 1 and 2 before 4 because they were out earlier.

There are so many ways you could poll these games.

I think Shadows was the best in the aspect of atomesphere and gameplay. Atomesphere being the story and the music, screenplay, characters, etc.
Gamplay:The combat system was hard to use, but still offered a challenge. You didn't have to crank the difficulty to hard in Shadows to have a good game. Shadows was a step above Trial in essential QFG, but ultimately cannot defeat Trial for me. Maybe because Trial was released years earlier.

I put QFG1 on top simply because it was the first one.

Trial by Fire is the ultimate glory game. More the reason I post here occasionaly. The story and characters are superb, this was the game that defined most of the quest for glory saga, for me anyway.
Trial expanded on many aspects of the first game, and brought some solid things into the equation that remain through Dragonfire.
Ad Avis, for one. Ad Avis was the driving force behind the creation of Katrina, and most of Shadows. Rakeesh and Uhura built Wages.

Well I think I've said enough.

Oh yeah. 4 and 1/2 is not a true QFG. Maybe if the Coles worked on it.
I consider it more, aw hell. It deserves to be in the poll.
A very funny version of the game, almost like the adult humour that was taken out of all the originals and put into one game.

Author:  Adventure_Knight [ Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Uh...no

Brainiac wrote:
Adventure_Knight wrote:
4 was probably my favourite, and 4.5 was actually quite fun, too bad you couldn't play the Paladin in that one.


<snort> I think the Paladin would have been completely depowered by the end of that game if he'd been playable.


Well, you actually do some good deeds, like helping the meeps, the fairies, the butcher, exorcizing that ghost girl, reuniting the vampires, reuniting the witch family, help the brauggi, stop the ex-brigands revenge, freeing Elsa, convincing that adventurer guy to pursue his dreams, and, of course, saving Spielburg again...

Author:  Fargus2 [ Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

I must admit that, if it weren't for QFG 4 1/2, I wouldn't have known the Quest for Glory series at all. I just got the fifth original games, and now that I've finished them all (Only as a Magic User Paladin, though) I have to say that my favourites are a tie between QFG1 and QFG4.

Author:  Ibanezrg82 [ Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:25 am ]
Post subject: 

Then there are those of us that still have an import ready character, waiting for the next QFG.
My perfect character is a mage started in QFG1EGA.

I cant wait to replace my QFG 3 year cycle with QFG2VGA.

Please, I am thinking of starting QFG1EGA as a thief, I hope TrialVga is out in a few weeks.
I don't care about bugs, please release it soon.

I don't want to get to Dragonfire without this.
Entire lives are at stake here!  :lol
In any case, be it two weeks or two years, I wont play QFG again until Trial is finally released.
Adventure Geek, out.

Author:  CrazyStalker [ Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

The first game had that special ''free'' feeling... but... why have both Hero's Quest AND QFG1? The two versions weren't THAT different.

Page 3 of 4 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/