Should Remakes always be re-written?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Does every remake need a re-write?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 14

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Should Remakes always be re-written?

#1 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:05 pm

With all the potential fan-remakes out there, one thing I see often is a statement like this....

"I am remaking [Space Quest, Monkey Island, Myst or any other classic game] with SVGA high res-graphics and an updated plot with new puzzles areas and new story."

My question is, does every remake NEED to be re-written?

And whatever you vote for, please elaborate why you made that decision, please.

Not everything NEEDS to be changed, or added too. Somethings sell well because they were already good.

Not to put down KQ2VGA or anything, because that game WAS a shell of a game - more of a treasure hunt than anything - but I think it's humourous to hear people always talking about their remakes "im gonna remake space quest iv, cept im changing graphics puzzles and stuff and it will rox"

Not every game NEEDS added material - the game designers knew what they were doing when they first made these games. They sold well and are classics for a reason. It's like a bad remake of a film; it's very EASY to do. Just like a complete 1:1 remake can be bad too - look at Hitchcocks Psycho and Gus Van Sant's Psycho..... Now, subtle changes and little additions are cool, but sometimes a game doesn't require an overhaul. My personal opinion is that King's Quest III doesn't need a lot of overhauling. It was the first real plot based KQ, the puzzles were fine, and I liked it. Things that could be added to help enhance the game would be cut-scenes, close-ups and things of that nature, but drastic changes to the plot need not occur. That's just my opinion on the subject. I think everybody has varying ideas on what is right in situations like this.

Bt

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#2 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:21 pm

I'm a writer, but I would never join a project to rewrite a game that didn't need (GK1 for example). I like the fact some cutscenes are being added into KQ3, but I'm hesistant to rewrite the entire game (nothing against Radiant, it's just not my cuppa tea). But in a game like KQ2VGA where the original writing was, well, "lazy", then I think a rewrite is ok. I'd have to vote on a case by case basis. :D

Gav
Knight Status

#3 Post by Gav » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:16 pm

I think it's pretty clear that it should be decided on a case by case basis.

SQ3 wouldn't need a rewrite if remade, just updated graphics/interface, however KQ2 needed the whole job. LSL5 has an adequate story, but sure could use more puzzles. Etc...

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Alias » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:24 pm

I voted YES, if you want to remake a game you have to make it better all ways, take a look at the original Sierra remakes? They are very different.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Reworked Remakes

#5 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:17 am

Rog wrote:I voted YES, if you want to remake a game you have to make it better all ways, take a look at the original Sierra remakes? They are very different.
In what ways, other than graphics, are the KQ1 or QFG1 remakes really that different from the originals? From my point of view, the graphics and control systems are all that really changed.

Jafar
Super Star

#6 Post by Jafar » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:38 am

I voted no. Just a few added things, like QFG1VGA and KQ1SCI.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:35 am

Well a remake should not only enchance the graphics but everything else, if you dont change anything (puzzles/plot...) it would be like playing the original with makeup, but it just looks different. ;)

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#8 Post by Peter Swinkels » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:33 pm

I voted no. Some stories are fine as they are, some are not.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#9 Post by Alias » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:51 pm

Peter Swinkels wrote:I voted no. Some stories are fine as they are, some are not.
True. :)