yes or no to score

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

want score or na

yes
86%
no
14%

Total votes: 14

zigi
Peasant Status

yes or no to score

#1 Post by zigi » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:11 pm

in sierra's old games there is the score system, i just wanted to know if you like it or not.

me, i hate it, it makes me go to walkthrough and get help to finish the game only cuz i feel like im missing something in the score.

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:26 pm

I like the score system. It's fulfilling to have the maximum score and it keeps you on the lookout for alternate solutions.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Alias » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:28 pm

same here.

Gav
Knight Status

#4 Post by Gav » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:37 pm

Even though I never go replay games solely to find lost points, it does give the gamer incentives beyond simply finishing as fast as possible. Also, I like how it gives you an indication of how far through you are.

Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by Parhelion » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:54 am

Now that you mention it, I've always thought the score system was unnecessary. Point totals work well for arcade style games, but not so much in an adventure game. When you are taking part in a story, making choices, that kind of thing, the point system always made me feel forced to play the game exactly perfect, which goes against the grain of the genre, in my opinion.

Fender178
Knight Status

#6 Post by Fender178 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:06 am

I liked the score system it helped to see on how far we are in the game. Only few sierra games didnt have a score but a chapter timeline.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am

It's true it let's you know how much of the game is completed, but some games simply show your score and don't let you know the maximum score until the end. I believe Camelot did that with the honour/spiritual/etc/whatever points at the end. Other games did it for just the basic score though although none comes to mind.

I like it, I like to finish the game in the best way possible and it is a good way of letting you know if you beat it 'right' or not.

Gav
Knight Status

#8 Post by Gav » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:16 am

Just because there is a points system in a game doesn't mean that you have to finish it perfect. I've been very happy with finishing games without getting all the points, seeing as I still see all the things relevant to the story. All I'm missing is fairly irrelevent things.

However, I think it is good because it allows hyper anal-retentive people the challenge of hunting down every last point to achieve a perfect game, which is good, if you enjoy this.

If you don't want to see a score, you could always put a piece of blu-tac or tape on the screen to hide it :D .