The Ultimate Clash

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Sierra Or Lucas Arts

Sierra
41%
Lucas Arts
16%
Questions such as these have no answer
43%

Total votes: 37

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

ScummVM

#26 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:35 pm

Especially with Sarien incorporated - Sierra and LucasArts coexisting, dogs and cats living together...MASS HYSTERIA! :p

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

Re: The Ultimate Clash

#27 Post by oughtobe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:49 pm

Brainiac wrote:
oughtobe wrote:its not even a contest.... LucasArts only had maybe 7 undeniably great games... 2 great monkey islands, 2 great indiana jones's, 2 maniac mansions and a BASS...
Do you mean Beneath A Steel Sky? That wasn't LucasArts.

And what about Zak McCracken? Loom? Sam & Max? The Dig? I disagree about only two great Monkey Islands; I like all of the first three, even if Curse was missing a certain something without Gilbert.

Personally, I can't really make an assertion of superiority. In all honesty, the two styles of game design are different enough to go with the old "apples and oranges" line.
oh yeah sorry, replace BASS with Sam n Max... The Dig and Loom are too shallow when compared to a sierra game... I liked 3 as well... but it can't be compared to 1 and 2...

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Brainiac » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:58 pm

oughtobe wrote:The Dig and Loom are too shallow when compared to a sierra game...
Loom, maybe, due to its length more than anything, but The Dig? I could never describe that as shallow. I mean, the original idea was for a Spielburg movie - the lack of technology at the time resulted in the game in its place. Of course now, it probably could be on the big screen (and they'd better bring Robert Patrick in to play Boston Low is all I have to say).

oughtobe
Royal Servant Status

#29 Post by oughtobe » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:15 pm

Brainiac wrote:
oughtobe wrote:The Dig and Loom are too shallow when compared to a sierra game...
Loom, maybe, due to its length more than anything, but The Dig? I could never describe that as shallow. I mean, the original idea was for a Spielburg movie - the lack of technology at the time resulted in the game in its place. Of course now, it probably could be on the big screen (and they'd better bring Robert Patrick in to play Boston Low is all I have to say).
I meant the gameplay was shallow, not necessarily the world or story... but come on, you seriously think LucasArts created more and better games than Sierra?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#30 Post by Brainiac » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:26 pm

oughtobe wrote:I meant the gameplay was shallow, not necessarily the world or story... but come on, you seriously think LucasArts created more and better games than Sierra?
More, perhaps, especially if you count the deluge of Star Wars game. Better, that falls under the "apples vs. oranges" debate - a pointless comparison. As I said before, the two styles are different enough that the concept of "better" is inapplicable in my opinion.

RC-Cola
Peasant Status

#31 Post by RC-Cola » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:01 am

Maniac Mansion on the NES pulls me strong in one direction, and the QfG series pulls me strong in the other. They're both so important to my squandered childhood!

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#32 Post by DrJones » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Microprose!!

GrahamCracker4
Peasant Status

#33 Post by GrahamCracker4 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:02 pm

For adventure games, Sierra hands down no contest for me. For flight sims, LucasArts is king. ;)

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#34 Post by Schloss Ritter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:39 pm

GrahamCracker4 wrote:For adventure games, Sierra hands down no contest for me. For flight sims, LucasArts is king. ;)
Yeah, I wish they would have had an X-Wing/Starfighter (the latter being an inferior spinoff) game for SW Episode III.

pikaporeon
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by pikaporeon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:36 pm

For me thats Tim Schafer vs Quest for glory, and I cannot pick. Instead I'll throw money at what the Coles do, and go buy Brutal Legend when it comes out.

Schrijvertje
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Schrijvertje » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:43 am

LucasArts, no question. Hate trial and error.

Mitch
Peasant Status

#37 Post by Mitch » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:46 pm

I picked the third option, Sierra and LucasArts are just too equal.

Example: Sierra has Space quest, LucasArts has Monkey Island. they're both funny and witty.

But the best battle would be this: Space Quest & Quest for Glory VS. Full Throttle & Indiana Jones!