The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Broomie
The Enigma

#176 Post by Broomie » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:37 pm

Can I just say that the worst thing about PS2 is the bugs, my brother has bought his 3rd PS2 in a row since they keep breaking. He keeps good care of it, doesn't throw it around the room because he keeps dying on a certain game. The first one PS2 he bought had problems with the DVD player and wouldn't play them (and the DVD's were brand new, worked on the DVD downstairs), he took it back and got a swapped it with a different one. Luckily the DVD was okay, but that can't be the only PS2 with a faulty DVD drive.

The reason that people don't see the Gamecube like they see the PS2 is because there isn't a DVD drive, one of my mates came round my house and he told me that the gamecube was shit, I asked why, he said because you can't play DVD's.... is that it? Gamecube has hardly any bugs, well not from when I've been playing it. I've had it for a year and have had no problems with it, no disk reading errors, (although sometimes that is the disk's fault) And the menu for the Gamecube kicks ass! Thought I'd just that. And we've got plenty more games along the way... Wind Waker 2 anyone?

I wouldn't see Gamecube as the most POWERFUL of all consoles, but it's certainly the most reliable and stylish of all consoles. X-Box is just ugly and big. PS2 is weird looking, the size is okay. Gamecube is small, cute :p and can fit anywhere. I just love the CD's.

More good points you say? It has internet, ability to play SNES/Gameboy games without any emulators, heck, that little tray thing underneath could be uses for many things, if they ever made a DVD tray for the Gamecube, you could just pop it underneath the gamecube and voila, I'll be watching Spiderman on DVD in no time. Now that would be a good idea.

Oh and Nintendo 64 would kick Playstation's ass anyday! :p

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#177 Post by Spikey » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:47 pm

ability to play SNES/Gameboy games
Can I play SNES games on my Gamecube :| how?

I don't own a GBplayer. Or is it something else???

Broomie
The Enigma

#178 Post by Broomie » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:41 pm

Ok, the bit about the Snes isn't really official... I must have smoked abit for me to add that.

Sorry!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#179 Post by Spikey » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:47 pm

Crack, right? :lol

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#180 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:16 pm

I agree some PS2 parts wear out quite alot, I had to take my 1st PS2 back because it stopped playing CD's (DVD's would play fine) and I got a new one, but I've had that for over a year and no problems.

I would say that the PS2 has the best games in content and choice although it really depends on what games you like, if mario floats your boat then GC is for you.

PS2 has good points to:

Homebrew software from emulators to homemade games
Network adapter
Hard drive support
Cool easy to use controller. (Xbox is to chunky and some have called GC too fiddly)
Can play DVD's
USB support
I-link support
Infared support

And the PSX has video recording capabilites as well as a hard drive.

Then there's the PS1, PSP and PS3.

But all in all it doesnt really matter about anything its just down to personal preferance. There's no point arguing about it.

Bob likes PS2, Dave likes GC and Mikey likes Xbox and thats it lol

Oh and Anathoth the only known kind of mod for GC is the Phantasy Star Online exploit which allows you with the broadband adapter to stream downloaded games off the PC hard drive and play them on the GC, some games have slow downs with this method but 90% are perfectly playable.

Broomie
The Enigma

#181 Post by Broomie » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:51 pm

And the PSX has video recording capabilites
I thought you could already do that with the EyeToy.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#182 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:42 am

Ahh thankyou Broomie another good point the Eyetoy! lol

What I meant was you can record TV shows or Movies to the PSX hard drive and watch them later.

Broomie
The Enigma

#183 Post by Broomie » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:10 am

Ahh thankyou Broomie another good point the Eyetoy! lol
Doh!

Well... you can erm hide it from your annoying brother who always plays it, quite easily. :p

Grundy
Peasant Status

Gamecube

#184 Post by Grundy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:35 am

For those that say Gamecube sucks because it doesn't have a DVD player... Havn'y any of you seen the Panasonic Game Cube? It's just a plain old gamecube but with a dvd player, so the option is there for those that want it.
I have a good dvd player, so why should I pay an extra 100-200 dollars for something I don't need? ( Sony has realised this, they are bringing out 2 versions of the PS3. One for games only, and one with everything else. )

So the DVD argument for the cube is invalid. And sony is following suite.
We buy consoles for GAMES, not to watch DVD's or surf the net. Atleast give the consumer the option, games system or multimedia system. There is hundreds of dollars difference here!
( Now microsoft needs to screw their heads on straight and work it out too. )

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#185 Post by VampD3 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:47 am

Slightly off there Grundy,

Sony is thinking of releasing 2 versions of PS3 and both will play DVD's the differance is one is for playing games and watching DVD's and the other version is for playing games and recording TV and movies to the hard drive like the PSX.

*Angelus slaps himself*

Broomie
The Enigma

#186 Post by Broomie » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:19 pm

Hmm... I just looked at the Panasonic Gamecube, and boy hell is that one ugly looking thing. All they needed to do was to add a DVD Drive, not completely revamp everything.

ImageImage

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#187 Post by Spikey » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:28 pm

Man...ugly indeed!!!

Broomie
The Enigma

#188 Post by Broomie » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:33 pm

Speaking of console screenshots, are there any official screenshots of the PS3? There's one I saw which I'm guessing is a joke but it's a toaster kind of thing, and you put the CD in the top and pull down a lever which pushes down the CD alongside just like a toaster.

And it's really funny looking, but I hope that isn't it. Any screens of it? Love to see what it looks like.

Oh, also, whatever happened to the Nintendo Dolphin? Was that the Gamecube in early concepts or was it a cancelled project? I would love to search through google but naaaa.

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

Q

#189 Post by anathoth8 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:55 pm

The Panasonic Q was only released in Japan and has since been discontinued, so I wouldn't really consider that a viable option for the majority of the folks here. Although, I do have to agree 100% with Grundy. I already have a DVD player that is much better than the one on either the PS2 or XBox so why should I have to pay for the DVD player too? Besides that, when a system tries to do too many things, it usually ends up being not really good at anything. I want a console to play games; I don't care what else it does.

Let's take a look at Angelus's list:
Homebrew software from emulators to homemade games - not officially supported, plus most games are pirated anyway
Network adapter - add-on = $$, also available for both Xbox and GCN
Hard drive support - add-on, standard on Xbox, not used much
Cool easy to use controller. (Xbox is to chunky and some have called GC too fiddly) - matter of opinion, personally I like the GCN pad much better than the PS2's
Can play DVD's - again, I don't think this is needed for a good console
USB support - for what?
I-link support - for what?
Infared support - for what? if no one makes use of the peripherals, what difference does it make if it is there or not?

Yes, Broomie, the Dolphin was the code name for the GameCube.

Edit: Please don't think that I am "bashing" or "being a fanboy" or whatever else you want to call it. I am simply saying that all the hardware doesn't mean anything to me. If the game is good, I will play it on whatever system it is on. If the game is crap, I simply don't care.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#190 Post by Spikey » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:54 am

Yes, Broomie, the Dolphin was the code name for the GameCube.
Yeah and they hint to that in all kinds. Mario Sunshine for example, isn't "Delfino" Italian for "Dolphin"? Isle Delfino is shaped like a dolphin, right?

;)

I don't mean to bash either, although I am a Nintendofan. Playstation is the marketleader mainly because I think the marketing was and is really well done, and this influenced the people and the games, and those influenced each other in an upward spiral. It has a strong identity, a strong image. Nintendo has it's own identity as well of course, but it's not as concrete as Playstation's. I think the Cubeplayers have a higher age on average then (WTF? than) intended cause Nintendo fares well on brandloyal consumers, peoples who remember the good old times and try to keep that alive (and Nintendo is doing a great job I think). At least I know I try that.

Anatoth did you see the new confirmed releasedates of 2004? "Zelda WW2" & "Mario 128" are still not among them :(. The RPG Paper Mario 2 is there and......OH NO Mario Party 6 oh no please no not again :lol
Last edited by Spikey on Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#191 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:00 am

I fully agree with you Anathoth I think I said it in the first couple of pages that the consoles dont matter they're all great but its the games that matter.

I only got a PS1 and 2 for one reason, Final Fantasy and then just branched out onto other games. I mean the only game I like that is not on PS2 is Resident Evil but then we do still get it, an online version no less but I also love the other games and I cant wait for Driv3r and Gran Turismo 4 to come out!!!

Its all about the games baby!!

But if I had a cube I would probably love all the games for that aswell!! I've never played or seen much of Mario Sunshine but I do like the Super Smash Bros. games!

Broomie
The Enigma

#192 Post by Broomie » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:24 am

I defintely think a Cube is worth it, you can get them for as little as 60 or 70 quid.

I only thought it would be nice to have a DVD player on the Cube since I have one in my room yet I'm not able to watch DVD's in room yet my brothers can with their X-Box's and PS2's.

Ah well, it doen't really matter, the Cube is what it is. And I love it like that. What Anathoth said I completely agree, also the Nintendo fanboy. ;)

Btw, about the harddrive support on the X-Box, isn't that no different from what the Nintendo 64? On most games you could save the data into the N64, and if it was urgent you could always go out and buy some m. cards.

The Nintendo 64 is amonst my favourite consoles ever, it's probably tieing with Gamecube.

Grundy
Peasant Status

N64

#193 Post by Grundy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:26 pm

The Nintendo64 was my favourite.

Goldeneye saved Nintendo from really stuffing up with that console.
( Dam I had many long nights with my friends killing each other in 007! )

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#194 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:43 pm

Golden Eye 2 is coming out for PS2!!

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

Hard drive?

#195 Post by anathoth8 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:48 pm

Broomie wrote:Btw, about the harddrive support on the X-Box, isn't that no different from what the Nintendo 64? On most games you could save the data into the N64, and if it was urgent you could always go out and buy some m. cards.
Actually, that is a function of the cartridge. Most of the cartridges contain a certain amount of RAM that can be written to for saving games. This necessitates the cartridge having a battery on it as well. This is why some old cartridges (such as original NES games) may no longer be able to save your games; the battery runs out and the RAM can only hold data if it is powered.

This, of course, does not apply to today's consoles. The discs are unable to be written to and so a memory card is needed. Unlike the cartridges, the memory cards use EEPROM which does not need to be powered to maintain its data. A select few cartridges for the N64 did not contain the RAM needed to save games, so a memory card was required. But for all the ones that I am aware of, there was never a choice; it was either one or the other.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#196 Post by Spikey » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Most of the cartridges contain a certain amount of RAM that can be written to for saving games. This necessitates the cartridge having a battery on it as well.
Wasn't it because of that the prices were so steep in comparison with GameCubegames?

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

Price?

#197 Post by anathoth8 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:08 pm

Well, that and manufacturing itself plays a major role. A block of circuit boards, chips, and memory are understandably more expensive to make than a small disc cut by a laser.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#198 Post by Spikey » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:09 pm

Can I ask you all kinds of technical questions one day for the website I'm working on? ;)

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

Sure

#199 Post by anathoth8 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:29 pm

I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#200 Post by Spikey » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:18 pm

Thank you Anathoth!

My questions concern Super Mario Bros. mainly for the moment. Information contradicts, so I would like your vision on this.

"Super Mario Bros was very innovating upon release, for it was the first video game to consisted of more than one screen at the same time, using scrolling and skipping techniques".

This sounds rather vague...can you tell me more about how the game was innovating, if it was at all???

"The Arcade version of this game was slightly different to the NES version: it was more difficult."

Would you happen to know this??? It does make logical sense since those Arcadegames were meant to pennyrip children ;)