MYST IV

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

How do you feel about the upcoming MYST: Revelation?

I'll be preordering as soon as I can!
No votes
It looks good and I'll probably buy it.
23%
I don't know if it will be comparable to the other games.
15%
It will probably flop like URU Online.
8%
I gave up on the series after Riven.
No votes
What's MYST?
54%
RAND MILLER BACK AS ATRUS!! W00T!!!
No votes

Total votes: 13

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

MYST IV

#1 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:29 pm

Since this board is flooded with adventure lovers (though it's arguable that MYST isn't a true adventure game), I figured I'd ask this and sate my curiousity.

Relight
Archival Expert

#2 Post by Relight » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:01 pm

I didn't even know there was gonna be another MYST game. I've never even played any of them... It all started when I couldn't play the first one when it was first released because of QuickTime troubles.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

To Relight

#3 Post by Brainiac » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:09 pm

Geez, that stinks. Personally, I never had any problems with the QuickTime in the original, though I did start off with some serious graphical problems in the real-time 3D remake realMYST.

If you get a chance, you can buy the first three games as a trilogy set (it has the MYST Materpiece Edition, not the original) through UbiSoft; it's on DVD and fully XP compatible. If you want to see a trailer of the new one, go to http://www.mystrevelation.com.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#4 Post by Charlemagne » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:44 pm

Myst is one of those games I was always going to get around to playing. Who knows, maybe I'll get around to playing Myst: Revelation too.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#5 Post by Spikey » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:58 am

I gave up on the series after Riven.
I must be nuts. Everybody goes crazy about this game and all, so I bought the Masterpiece Edition with soundtrack and all, but then after 5 minutes of playing I didn't really.....you know....understand the game...so I gave up and haven't tried since cause it made me feel dumb. Maybe I am dumb. Or maybe I should give it another go. :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

To Spikey

#6 Post by Brainiac » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:46 am

I always liked the games, though I did think MYST was a little weak (despite being the best selling CD adventure ever) and Riven had some puzzles that went a little over the top in difficulty. Still, I think you should give the series a chance, Spikey. The Masterpiece Edition has a built in hint mode if you need it or, if you'd prefer, I'd being willing to help with any questions you may have (I've beaten all the games but URU, haven't bought that one yet).

However, if MME isn't quite your style, you could always give the remake realMYST a chance; it's in realtime 3D and has an extra Age not found in either the original MYST or MME. If you'd rather break away from MYST entirely, try Riven (if you love gorgeous artwork but don't mind puzzles that cover the whole world you explore) or Exile (probably the best puzzle balance).

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#7 Post by Spikey » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:12 am

I don't really like getting hints in a game. If I play it, I want to finish it on my own. I played the 7th Guest for hours just to finish that annoying virusgame. May be a challenge in Myst, cause it's something totally different from what I ever played.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#8 Post by Kurdt » Mon May 10, 2004 12:40 am

In Myst, the puzzles are the most important parts of the game. It's the father of that whole section of adventure games where the puzzles are insanely hard yet logical somehow.

I've beaten the first three and am working my way through Uru right now (even though they stopped Uru Live! they're making expansion packs for it with new ages which is awesome). Myst IV looks like it's gonna be awesome, that's all I have to say on it.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Pidgeot » Mon May 10, 2004 6:14 am

This reminds me... I should probably get around to playing those two Myst games I bought some months ago. :o

The Avatar
Knight Status

Myst or Pyst?

#10 Post by The Avatar » Tue May 11, 2004 5:31 pm

I played through the first Myst with little difficulty, but under my standards Myst doesn't qualify as an adventure game. When the puzzles take priority over the plot, and in this case it does in my opinion, then it's really just a glorified puzzle game.

I believe that's part of why it became so popular. Everyone loves a good puzzle, and Myst had dozens of them.

I guess my point here is that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone expecting an adventure game, because they'll only get confused like Spikey.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now ;)

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#11 Post by Kurdt » Tue May 11, 2004 6:00 pm

Yeah, it's definitely a new breed of adventure. However, I would still call it an adventure. It's true that puzzles take precedence over the plot and the storyline is a little thin in places, but the world of D'ni is still intricate and vast. Some of the games following Myst and all the mythology they've created around it with the books and the websites, etc. are the most interesting parts of the games in my opinion. I'd like to see a more old-school adventure game set in the Myst world. That would be very interesting.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Tue May 11, 2004 6:09 pm

* looks up and inserts his Myst Masterpiece edition in his CD drive *

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Gotcha!

#13 Post by Brainiac » Tue May 11, 2004 7:50 pm

Spikey wrote:* looks up and inserts his Myst Masterpiece edition in his CD drive *
:evil Hooked another one... :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Back

#14 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:40 am

I hereby commit my second act of thread revival (the first was at IA) with a (four-month apart) double post.

MYST: Revelation will be released on September 21st. The website has been heavily updated with clips, "Making of" movies, background info, and multiple pictures and animations.

Anyone with opinions on the series, drop a post (or a vote). BTW, Spikey, did you ever finish MYST Masterpiece Edition?

Sir Nyrhinen
Royal Servant Status

MYST?

#15 Post by Sir Nyrhinen » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:24 pm

What the heck is MYST? Could anyone give some information?
:o

Jafar
Super Star

#16 Post by Jafar » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:03 am

Well, mist is damp and hard to see through. People usually use it to add mystery and- Wait a minute. You said "MYST"? Or "Mist"?

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#17 Post by Swift » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:11 am

Myst is a mystery game where you're all alone in a huge place, and must unlock its secrets. I've never played the game, so I can't give you more details.