Relight I think I found that hidden update you mentioned!!!

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Weaver1497
Peasant Status

Relight I think I found that hidden update you mentioned!!!

#1 Post by Weaver1497 » Tue May 11, 2004 3:17 pm

Is the update to the site those wonderful new pics, on the QFG2 remake feature page?

If so they do look absolutely amazing, the dialogue portrait looks surprisingly excellent! Huge improvment since KQ2 (Those were also great!)

Now im really pumped up for this game! I just spent last week after finals making an uber fighter in QFG1 with all of his abilities at 100 (No stealth or lock-picking, want him to be a paladin.)

Anyway nice little tease there! Please keep doing this I now anxiously awaiting this game!

Relight
Archival Expert

#2 Post by Relight » Tue May 11, 2004 3:25 pm

Yes, that is the hidden update. They are not entirely new screens, but updated versions of the screens that were there before. They look much better than their previous versions! And I agree with you about the dialogue portraits - AGD1's work on those is really awesome for this game.

Khaveen
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Khaveen » Tue May 11, 2004 5:59 pm

Wow, this Addie looks cool! Though I'd say he looks too jolly for an evil sorcerer. ;) I should admit the dialogue pic is much more "alive" that QFG3 or QFG1VGA ones.
Cannot wait to see how Khaveen's portraint looks like... and to change my avatar! ;)

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#4 Post by Kurdt » Tue May 11, 2004 6:05 pm

Looking good, Relight. Why didn't you tell me there was a hidden update?!?! >: :p Tell AGD1 that her backgrounds are so vibrant and realistic-looking...they're awesome.

Also...are you guys going to use those dialogue boxes and borders? They fit in QFG3 with the whole pyramidic Egyptian setting, but...I dunno, they look really out of place for me in QFG2, especially surrounded by all that awesome artwork. I think it'd serve you guys better to get different borders and dialogue boxes. In the end, it's just better-looking.

Broomie
The Enigma

#5 Post by Broomie » Tue May 11, 2004 7:35 pm

At first I was thought that you were going to use the QFG4 type dialog pictures, where you see the whole body up close and the face talking like if it was a small analog picture, that would have been a nice idea.

But these are magnificent updates, I cannot wait for this game!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Update pictures

#6 Post by Brainiac » Tue May 11, 2004 7:45 pm

Kurdt wrote:Also...are you guys going to use those dialogue boxes and borders? They fit in QFG3 with the whole pyramidic Egyptian setting, but...I dunno, they look really out of place for me in QFG2, especially surrounded by all that awesome artwork. I think it'd serve you guys better to get different borders and dialogue boxes. In the end, it's just better-looking.
I agree with Kurdt. The screens are great (though I won't judge the dialogue pic of Ad Avis since it's stationary rather than moving/speaking/animated) but the columns remind me too much of QFG3. If you want to keep the column form, you should make them more arabian in style (like the pillars in Zayishah's room). Other than that little nitpick, I think the work is jaw-droppingly gorgeous!

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#7 Post by deltamatrix » Tue May 11, 2004 8:02 pm

Nothin wrong with a jolly face for ad avis when he is not really the official bad guy yet.

But I do agree about the borders AND THE FONT as well.
Those borders and fonts may be consistent with QFG3 but they are not consistent with your great dialogue pictures which may bother us more.

A little more complexity may do the trick. I ain't keen on the plain light brown colour of the text boxes either.

One more thing, the pile of rocks in the bottom-right corner of the pic don't seem to blend to well with the rest of the sand.

Great update. YOU ROCK :)

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#8 Post by Spikey » Tue May 11, 2004 8:14 pm

I'm dying for some news about the alleyways for quite a while now :|

Relight
Archival Expert

#9 Post by Relight » Tue May 11, 2004 8:16 pm

I ain't keen on the plain light brown colour of the text boxes either.
What would you suggest? I think the plain colour is fine. Do you object to the colour itself or the fact that it is plain and not textured? I think that even lightly textured backgrounds can distract from the text.
One more thing, the pile of rocks in the bottom-right corner of the pic don't seem to blend to well with the rest of the sand.
Well, it is being hit by moonlight more than the rest of the scene because the rest of the scene is shadowed by the side of the mountain. But I agree with you it's not quite blending properly.

See, I knew you guys would find all the picky details. I think the dialogue frames and text boxes aren't that bad - but you are correct to say something more Arabian would be in order and would look better.

I know that AGD2 reads most of what is happening in the forums even if he doesn't reply, so he will see your comments and if he thinks it's important, the changes will be made in the game. He might even comment here.

But I can tell you we're on a big push right now and we're not looking back at details for stuff already completed. That may come later on, so even if the frames and text boxes weren't changed now, they might still be at a later time.

Relight
Archival Expert

#10 Post by Relight » Tue May 11, 2004 8:23 pm

I'm dying for some news about the alleyways for quite a while now.
I believe I said some time ago the alleyways are mostly implemented as a system. But we ain't saying anything more than that. They're going to be one of a few big surprises in this game that will just have to wait until the release date to be revealed.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue May 11, 2004 8:25 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. However, the QFG3 style GUIS and fonts are going to stay. Although we could easily change them, the familiarity of the interface is what connects this remake to the other games in the series. If there's one thing that's true about game making it's: "Can't please everyone, so please yourself" :lol

There are actually a mix of GUI elements from QFG1 and QFG3 to strike a balance between those two games. Minor changes might be made here and there, but the GUI trimmings are more of an aesthetic touch and not really a high priority... after all, you play the game for the gameplay... not to stare at the GUIs! (well, at least I hope that's the case :eek )

BTW, the Jail cell screen and Zayishah screen aren't finished versions yet.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#12 Post by Spikey » Tue May 11, 2004 8:47 pm

They're going to be one of a few big surprises in this game that will just have to wait until the release date to be revealed.
:| ok sorry. Didn't know that.

Great improvements on the screens, guys and girl.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#13 Post by Kurdt » Tue May 11, 2004 8:50 pm

Well, the dialogue GUIs were created specifically for QFG3 and designed to resemble the Egyptian manner of architecture. The columns I don't care about but the borders on the dialogue pics detract from the quality of the overall image. I was just trying to help...

Everything else looks awesome, though. Kudos.

Jackhomer
Knight Status

#14 Post by Jackhomer » Tue May 11, 2004 9:01 pm

Keep in mind that we haven't seen any of the revamped shapier screens yet. These dialogue borders and the GUI might fit well with the rest of the graphical scheme that the AGD's are creating for shapier. I think the GUI looks fine personally.

Weaver1497
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Weaver1497 » Wed May 12, 2004 4:00 am

So Relight for finding the hidden update do I get some kind of prize, like a screenshot of the alleyway system???

Thats not asking too much, I mean cmon im like Batman the great detective over here! (It took about 3 minutes to find out what had been changed!)

adeyke

#16 Post by adeyke » Wed May 12, 2004 4:04 am

As a result of finding the hidden update, you already got your reward screenshot ;).

Morilibus
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Morilibus » Wed May 12, 2004 4:21 am

what about just shrinking the boarder around the pic a bit so it's not so distracting, make it about half it's current size?!?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

That is...

#18 Post by Gronagor » Wed May 12, 2004 6:52 am

That is probably the idea?!?

Edit: But I would prefer you guys creating an arabic style border rather than using QfG3's.

Jafar
Super Star

#19 Post by Jafar » Wed May 12, 2004 7:01 am

Squirt wrote:Sweeeet.
Crush wrote:Totally.

Replace "wrote" with "said". :D

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by LucasFan » Wed May 12, 2004 10:15 am

Hmmm... Yes, you 've got me there, AGD2. But one day I will find the source of that hexagon, too. :p

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Hmmm...

#21 Post by Gronagor » Wed May 12, 2004 10:31 am

For some reason I recognize the style of the edits in the new pic......

hmmmm...

I wondered what happened to my Editor!! Thieves!!
Ok. Just tell the Editor we still need him at Hero6! :p

Thanks LFan... without your post I would have remained blind!!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Wed May 12, 2004 10:38 am

Sorry Gron, but we made it clear to him that souls are non-refundable. :p

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

oh great

#23 Post by Gronagor » Wed May 12, 2004 10:44 am

Oh great! I give him some vacation-time and he sells his virtual-soul to the competition... what is the internet coming to!! :) Send our greetings at least... or ain't he allowed such contact?? :rolleyes

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#24 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed May 12, 2004 11:04 am

Hmmm... Yes, you 've got me there, AGD2. But one day I will find the source of that hexagon, too.
Um, okay. You do that. What this has to do with QFG2VGA, I'm not entirely sure...but have fun!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#25 Post by navynuke04 » Wed May 12, 2004 11:09 am

Last I saw him, he was chained to the wall with only one hand free so he could reach his mouse. ;)