What reality show are you most looking forward to?

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

American Idol 4 (January 2005)
No votes
The Simple Life 2
7%
Survivor, whichever one is next
7%
The Contender
3%
The Apprentice 2
No votes
Bachelorette or Bachelor # Whatever
No votes
Reality shows bite, I wanna play computer games darnit!
83%

Total votes: 29

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#1 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu May 27, 2004 3:17 am

Well, what does everybody think?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Ugh!

#2 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 27, 2004 3:21 am

I vote for games over (non)reality TV.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#3 Post by Charlemagne » Thu May 27, 2004 3:23 am

Sorry Rambaldi, but I absolutely detest reality shows. I'm not looking forward to any of them. They're not even like reality anyway; if they were no one would watch them because they would be waaaay too boring.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#4 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu May 27, 2004 3:44 am

Yeah, I used to hate them too. But Idol grew on me, and Simple Life was funny. Contender just sounds interesting. I think the rest stink.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#5 Post by 1eyedParrot » Thu May 27, 2004 3:55 am

Paris hilton is hot in a simple life, I vote for that.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu May 27, 2004 8:17 am

Charlemagne, I wouldn't be surprised if AGD2 gave you a custom title and moderator status for that comment. :lol

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Why?

#7 Post by Gronagor » Thu May 27, 2004 9:25 am

Why only American Idols? There's around 6-7 Idols-shows around the world. And the only two Idols worth anything (from all the shows) came from the Brit Idols: Gates and Young (and I don't even like them)

(And don't start telling me how great the US idols are, I've heard most of the Idols from around the world and they're all crap. Brits were just lucky to have 2 good ones in one year.)

Velocity
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Velocity » Thu May 27, 2004 12:05 pm

The ONLY 'reality' tv that I will EVER watch is Last Comic Standing.

That show is SERIOUSLY funny

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#9 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu May 27, 2004 1:30 pm

Wow, a lot of people do not love reality shows on these boards.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#10 Post by Spikey » Thu May 27, 2004 1:55 pm

Reality tv....looking out my window right now.

The Knight
King of Men

#11 Post by The Knight » Thu May 27, 2004 3:34 pm

Reality(FAKE, FAKE, FAKE, FAKE!) TV..... Don't get me started on it. Computer games all the way.
The ONLY 'reality' tv that I will EVER watch is Last Comic Standing.

That show is SERIOUSLY funny
I heard that it was rigged. |I

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Agreement

#12 Post by Brainiac » Thu May 27, 2004 3:42 pm

The Knight wrote:Reality(FAKE, FAKE, FAKE, FAKE!) TV..... Don't get me started on it. Computer games all the way.
Wow, another agreement between The Knight and me. Anybody checked the temperature in hell? :lol

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#13 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Thu May 27, 2004 3:57 pm

I think it's about 31 degrees celsius.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#14 Post by Spikey » Thu May 27, 2004 3:58 pm

I think hotter, Rambambam.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#15 Post by Charlemagne » Thu May 27, 2004 4:29 pm

Erpy wrote:Charlemagne, I wouldn't be surprised if AGD2 gave you a custom title and moderator status for that comment. :lol
Hehe. Nice to know I'm not the only one who hates them. :D

The Knight
King of Men

#16 Post by The Knight » Thu May 27, 2004 5:51 pm

Wow, another agreement between The Knight and me. Anybody checked the temperature in hell?
I think it reached absolute zero. :lol
And shouldn't it be The Knight and I? ;)

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#17 Post by anathoth8 » Thu May 27, 2004 6:08 pm

This reminds me of a column I once read by Eric D. Snider. Since I can't find the particular article, I will have to paraphrase.

He starts off by saying that nothing in reality shows is real. Then he suggests that in the future, all the plot ideas will be written down, and all the lines will be prewritten in a document that will be called a "script". Then, eventually, in order to get maximum entertainment, all the parts will be played by professional actors. Some of them will even be filmed in front of a live studio audience! :rollin
The Knight wrote:And shouldn't it be The Knight and I?
Nope. Since the first person here is used as the object of a preposition, "me" is the correct form.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#18 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:11 pm

Man, I'm disappointed that Stallone's stooped to doing a reality TV show! :( He and Arnie were personal idols of mine in the 80's! The Rocky films were awesome in their time, but this Contender show sounds like just another cheap way to cash in on the "reality" TV badwagon! Why can't fading actors ever just go out with grace?

Anyway, Stallone really should throw in the towel and give up without a fight. This contender idea needs to be KO'd. I'd rather see a RockyVI made with Grandfather Balboa beating the bejoseph out of young, fit boxers in their 20s. It would be easier to stomach!

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#19 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:20 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Man, I'm disappointed that Stallone's stooped to doing a reality TV show! :( He and Arnie were personal idols of mine in the 80's! The Rocky films were awesome in their time, but this Contender show sounds like just another cheap way to cash in on the "reality" TV badwagon! Why can't fading actors ever just go out with grace?

Anyway, Stallone really should throw in the towel and give up without a fight. This contender idea needs to be KO'd. I'd rather see a RockyVI made with Grandfather Balboa beating the bejoseph out of young, fit boxers in their 20s. It would be easier to stomach!
Gotta disagree with ya there AGD2. I think "The Contender" is going to be one of the most intereting reality shows to come out in awhile. I think boxing could use a positive program these days, it's in serious trouble.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#20 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:11 pm

Well, if (big if) it was real and not rigged at all and if Sly took a polygraph test to prove that the show wasn't a total set up, then, yeah, it would actually be interesting to watch. I never trust "reality" shows anymore, though... heard too many insider details about how they really operate, plus I find it very difficult to watch anything which requires its viewers to forfeit all use of common sense and logic in order to accept some melodramatic charade as "reality" :lol

As things are, I'm guessing that The Contender will probably just be the same in concept and execution as all the other trashy reality TV shows out there with the same "unexpected twists". For example, early on in the series, two boxers will probably argue about something and get into a street fight outside the ring, thus creating some controversy between the two of them. Both fighters will have tensions running against each other throughout the remainder of the series. There'll also likely be a trainer who says mean things to his protégé and one of the fighters will have a phsycological breakdown, start crying, and think about quitting. And if the show's really cheesy, then one of the boxers will sustain some brain damage and be forced to leave in an emotional exit. :lol Stuff like that. It's all predictable because it's all scripted! Let's face it... reality (and by that, I mean real life) IS usually boring. If someone made a show and just filmed whatever happened naturally, then nobody would watch it and it wouldn't pull ratings. These shows are money makers...pure and simple.

Shows like Idol (and probably The Contender) which are based on contestants competing against each other really would be okay if they weren't classified as reality TV and rigged. Contests shouldn't need to be faked to get viewers to watch, they should get by on their own merits. But they make so much extra money from all the SMS voting and the scripted twists -- the producers want to have complete control of the final outcome. The ending and the events of the show is what keeps viewers watching and if everyone could predict the outcome, thenmany people would tune out and they'd lose ratings, and consequently, money. It's dishonest, and advertizes the show to be something it's not. So I always do my part to downplay the hype generated by everyone else whenever the subject or "reality" TV arises!

Anyhow, let's hope the contenders not like the current batch of "reality" shows, so that I can retain my respect for Sly and also so that the show does not become a stain on the sport of boxing in general. That said though, at least The Contender seems to be the least stomach churning entry in the poll list above.... aside from the sitting and playing games option, that is. :D

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#21 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:48 pm

I seriously doubt American Idol is rigged completely. They certainly help push contestants along (when Diana DeGarmo caught on, they started choosing song genres more suited to her and letting her sing first or last). But they certainly don't fake voting.

Duckzilla
Peasant Status

#22 Post by Duckzilla » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:34 am

I'm looking forward to the last reality show. Can't wait.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#23 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:24 pm

Wow Duckzilla, you're going on quite the little posting binge now arenchya?

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#24 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:07 am

Charlemagne wrote:
Erpy wrote:Charlemagne, I wouldn't be surprised if AGD2 gave you a custom title and moderator status for that comment. :lol
Hehe. Nice to know I'm not the only one who hates them. :D
Reality shows, simply put, suck. They are shallow attempts to capitalize on the bizzare human trait of being facinated by 'bad things' happening to people. Look at Survivor. Ever hear anyone talk about the show? It's always about who they hate, who got voted off cause they 'suck' or who sucks the most. Fear Factor, thats all about just watching horrid things happen to people. THE SWAN? Can you say perpetuate shallow stereotypes? Ugh, I could go on........ the point of reality shows is to watch people suffer..... and that's just horrid. Also it just provehow lazy and ineffectual television programmers and executives are today. It's shit like this that makes TV a wasteland. I hate reality TV more than anything else in pop-culture right now.

Bt

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#25 Post by Swift » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:39 am

I couldn't agree more with you, Bt.