Do you remember the first time you played QFG2?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Relight
Archival Expert

Do you remember the first time you played QFG2?

#1 Post by Relight » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:42 pm

Check out the new designer journal, then come back here and tell us about the first time that you played QFG2.

Buddy Cole

The 1st time I Played QFG2 was When..............

#2 Post by Buddy Cole » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:00 pm

the 1st time i played QFG2 was in the winter of 92, and i was 14. But I bought the game about a year before that, but i could'nt play it because i only had an crappy 386, with a CGA monitor and the would not run on that type of video card. So I had to wait for a year reading over and over The Adventurer's Guide To Shapeir. And every time I read that, that just built up the anticipation more and more. Then finally for chistmas my father bought a 486 computer with a VGA video card in it and the 1st thing I did was install the game and fired it up for the 1st time. And I tell you, it was the best feeling in the world to continue the quest after such a long wait.

A little side note to this story, when i 1st bought QFG2 i did not even realize it was the sequal to Hero's Quest, until i 1st read The Adventurer's Guide To Shapeir. I just thought it was a cool looking game to play, when i first saw it. But it confused me for a while when i DID find out it was the sequal to Heros Quest 1 because of the name change from Heros Quest to Quest For Glory, and i was expecting a Heros Quest 2 Trial By Fire. Later I read in a video game magazine on upcoming sierra titles and they briefly talked about the name change from Hero to Quest because of that Milton Bradley Board Game Hero Quest. Well thats my story of when i 1st played QFG2, and now I GREATLY aticipate this game again this time it will be on SVGA and my comupter WILL run it, but the only difference is that now I read the QFG2VGA feature page all the time instead of The Adventurers Guide To Shapier. :lol

deltamatrix
Knight Status

#3 Post by deltamatrix » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:03 pm

Has anyone actually played Hero Quest? I enjoyed it at first and when I was later given Hero's Quest 1, I thought it was the same game.

Coz I wanted to play QFG2 so badly after finishing HQ1 on the atari ST. I had to....well I can't say but I first played it in 2000 and despite it being a much dated game, I still enjoyed it very much.

What I also enjoyed was not constantly getting 'PackHandle Failure' like I always did on the atari after playing it for a long time. The program was not a well written one.

Relight
Archival Expert

#4 Post by Relight » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:12 pm

I had to....well I can't say but
...now I read the QFG2VGA feature page all the time instead of The Adventurers Guide To Shapier.
Heh... the amazing thing for me was this past year finding a new and sealed copy of the original QFG2 on eBay, so I could get the original documentation and the map. Buddy Cole I can't imagine that you waited a year to play it! Then again, the documentation is very cool, and you could probably get tons of enjoyment just from that!

So, who else has QFG2 stories?

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#5 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:06 pm

I got goosebumps just looking at the old screencaptured image. :D

Weaver1497
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Weaver1497 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:32 pm

I first discovered QFG1 (VGA) probably in 92-93, Absolutely loved that game and played it literally a countless number of times. Being only 12 at the time I didnt want to touch anything with "those ugly" EGA graphics. :D

Anyway years went by, I imported my hero from 1 to 3, and then tried to play 4, however because of all the bugs I could never even get past day 5 of QFG4. So around the age of 17-18 I said you know what im going to buy and play QFG2 hope to become a paladin and then play through the rest of the series as a paladin, hopefully.

The only other text adventure I had ever played was KQ3, and growing up on the point and click interface I was very reluctant to go with the text format. However KQ3 was rather simple with a walkthrough.

Anyway I took the dive and bought QFG2, with a walkthrough and the advanced SCI system I was really impressed with the gameplay and story. I remember the first time navigating the "streets" so difficult even with a map, it was never easy.

It took me a good 2-3 hours just to get to the money changer. However after that the game even through it was quite old by this time, I had never played any adventure game that was in an environment like this. It was amazing, and then my favorite moment was when I was finally crowned a paladin at the end, I was so ready to import my NEW paladin into QFG3 and play again. And it really was enough of a new experience that I enjoyed it.

However once I completed 1,2,3 in succession QFG4 was still unplayable because of bugs. That was in 2000, now because of the miracle of DosBox I can now play QFG4!

So if you cant tell, I am anxiously awaiting the release of QFG2VGA and then Im going to play all the way through the series, I have already played through QFG1 as a fighter and have him maxed out at 100 for everything all across the board. (Except for stealth, and pick locks, has to be honorable!)

PS. Sorry for the rant, the QFG series is by far my favorite adventure game series.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#7 Post by Swift » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:13 am

I played QG 2 after completing QG1 remake. It was quite a challenge getting used to the parser and the limited colours. Even though there were times where the game frustrated me (like the maze and figuring out the exact command for filling up waterskins), it was still fun to play and I enjoyed it very much.

Looking forward to playing the remake.

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Cumboy » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:55 pm

There is already a thread EXACTLY like this...read before you post!

Lock or delete please!

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#9 Post by Swift » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:29 pm

You're asking the mods to lock a thread made by a webmaster? :\
Not sure if it'll work.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#10 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:56 pm

I'm assuming Cumboy was being sarcastic.

Then again, assumptions CAN be wrong.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:20 pm

There is already a thread EXACTLY like this...read before you post!

Lock or delete please!
Not quite. The subtle (well not really) point of this thread was to point out the addition of a new designer journal.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#12 Post by Vildern » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:23 pm

I remember once, when The Knight and I asked to delete a post by AGD2 (we were kidding, of course), so it's a far lesser problem to delete a post by the Webmaster :p

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#13 Post by Charlemagne » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:45 pm

Ahem... Getting back on topic, since I either never read the other thread or I've already forgotten it:

I first played QFG2 sometime around 1993. Shortly after I bought the QFG1VGA remake one of my father's co-workers gave him a "test evaluation" copy of QFG2. (At the time I thought pirates were crusty ol' sea dogs with tri-corner hats who flew the Jolly Roger on their ships. :)) I had high hopes for the game since I was already a big fan of HQ/QFG1. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations at first. Incredibly frustrated by the alleys, I forsook the game in disgust a few hours after installing it. It was only after I bought the hint book that I overcame my initial annoyance and discovered the rich and engrossing plot. Since then I've never wavered in my belief that QFG2 is one of the best adventure games of all time... as I'm sure QFG2VGA will be. :D

Jafar
Super Star

#14 Post by Jafar » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:37 am

Rambaldi0503 wrote:I'm assuming Cumboy was being sarcastic.

I think he's jealous cause his topic is sinking down.

techie775
Knight Status

First time I played Quest for Glory 2....

#15 Post by techie775 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:35 pm

Ok, first off it took me quite awhile for me and my sister to even realize there was a sequel to Hero's Quest because we couldn't get past the room with the 3 stooges brigands and getting on the table and doing the chandlier thing. We found out there was this guide for Quest for Glory Offical Guide to the first four games and low and behold "so you want to be a hero" was the same game as hero's quest. Bought the book. Learned there were 3 sequels to Hero's Quest. Hunted down all 3 of them of them in 1994. I think we got Trial by Fire at Babbages. I remember not being able to get though the maze of shapier, so I tried going in the desert, killing a brigand, got his money and bought a map. Of course I forgot I still needed to see the money changer so I didn't save any time by going in the desert.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#16 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:07 pm

Jafar wrote:

Nail. Hit. On. Head. :p

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#17 Post by Oilers99 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:57 am

The oldest traditional adventure game I got to play was Day of the Tentacle, and that was by virtue of a surprise finding at an indoor garage sale. Unhappily, I've missed most of the older, traditional adventure games. I like the charm of the older games, but prefer the polished nature of the newer ones, which is what make's AGD's games so great. They are classics, without the rough edges of the older titles.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#18 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:15 am

Welcome newbie Oilers99!

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by Oilers99 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:42 am

Rambaldi0503 wrote:Welcome newbie Oilers99!
Thank you. I think I shall hang about. After all, I have to read them designer journals, and do something when there are not updates.

Jafar
Super Star

#20 Post by Jafar » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:24 am

Oilers99 wrote:Hi. I'm from Gamespot's forums. I visit in peace.
People from Gamespot have a bad reputation at Gamefaqs. Do you have any idea why? (Welcome to the forums)

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

#21 Post by Amayirot Akago » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:02 pm

First time I played QFG2? Hmmm, that wasn't till a few years back, I'm guessing 2001 or 2002, maybe even 2003. I got it off KaZaa :o

I thought it was alright. The whole maze thing was confusing at first, especially with Alichia's weird directions.

Still have to finish it sometime... I got to Ad Avis at the end, but I couldn't get past the damn statue in the room where Ad is summoning the Djinn.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

QfG2

#22 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:53 pm

Snake202 wrote:Still have to finish it sometime... I got to Ad Avis at the end, but I couldn't get past the damn statue in the room where Ad is summoning the Djinn.
So you're playing as a Fighter or Wizard? Then, in order to get away from the Gargoyle statue in time...
[spoiler]...then Fighter should run (just type escape) and the Wizard should cast Trigger.[/spoiler]

As for my first time, I can't really remember exactly what year it was. I had an easier time with the alleys than my sister; she didn't even look at the map in the manual! :D As a whole, I enjoyed the game thoroughly. Though I think QfG4 had better characters and plot, Trial by Fire remains my favorite since it has good plot with code stability.

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#23 Post by Oilers99 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:17 am

Jafar wrote:
Oilers99 wrote:Hi. I'm from Gamespot's forums. I visit in peace.
People from Gamespot have a bad reputation at Gamefaqs. Do you have any idea why? (Welcome to the forums)
I dunno, it's the exact same situation in reverse. Of course, going there now isn't the best idea, since the two wastelands have gotten worse, the previous shining location of quality has lost most of its lustre, and newbies have driven us to UCBs. Still, you will find a high level of quality on some of the topics, depending where you look. Not to mention a whole lot of regulars have been hired to work for one online gaming site that is just starting out.

Leonor
Peasant Status

#24 Post by Leonor » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:05 pm

Somewhere bettween 1998 and 2000. After I played OFG5 I "borrowed" a copy of QFG2. I really didn't play the series in the good old days. I still didn't play any other in the series but 5 and 2. I really enjoyed them, though.

I'm always out of time. My computer is never up to date, etc. *snif*

Cumboy
Peasant Status

#25 Post by Cumboy » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:39 am

Rambaldi0503 wrote:
Jafar wrote:

Nail. Hit. On. Head. :p
Well actually I WAS being sarcastic guys..... :rolleyes