Do you remember the first time you played QFG2?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#26 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:15 am

Too long ago to remember (Ok... it seems I have some memory problems. :) ), but it was somewhere near the release of the game. Someone I knew bought it for me when he went to the US for a few weeks.

For some reason I've lost the manual... QfG2 had the coolest manual I've ever seen. :)

The rest... is a blank. Probably because I played the game a 100 times after that first time, and I can't wait to play it 100 times more!!

Disco
Peasant Status

#27 Post by Disco » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:45 pm

I first played QfG2 in 1997 when I got the Anthology at Walden Software. The Parser was odd for me since my first adventure game was QfG4. I thought it odd that the graphics were poor since I had no idea when I played QfG1 I was playing a remake. Knowing about HQ, the EGA graphics would have made more sense.

At the start of the game, I had trouble standing away from the table with Abdulla. I tried typing such futile things as "get up" and "leave restaurant" , frustrating as you might imagine.

Anyway, the game has since become my favorite from the series because of its story and characters and setting. Somehow the combat in QfG2 ranks highest in the series in my opinion. Besides the Jackalmen, the only time you fight more than on monster at a time in QfG is in the Goblin Combat Training Zone in 1

Jafar
Super Star

#28 Post by Jafar » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:46 pm

At the start of the game, I had trouble standing away from the table with Abdulla. I tried typing such futile things as "get up" and "leave restaurant" , frustrating as you might imagine.
Type stand, you doornail. j/k :lol

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#29 Post by Swift » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:50 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:15 pm

I first played QfG2 in 1997 when I got the Anthology at Walden Software. The Parser was odd for me since my first adventure game was QfG4. I thought it odd that the graphics were poor since I had no idea when I played QfG1 I was playing a remake. Knowing about HQ, the EGA graphics would have made more sense.

Hehehe...too bad you didn't read page 15 of the anthology's manual (quick summary of QFG2) more thoroughly.

Erm...I mean welcome. ;)

KaokanDBZ
Peasant Status

#31 Post by KaokanDBZ » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:46 pm

I first played QFG2 back in 1998 when I got the QFG anthology. I think I got the later version of the anothology, because my box art is different, and it includes a Dragon Fire demo.... Anyway. I too could not figure out how to "Stand up" in QFG2 for at least 3 days. ...I wasn't very good at adventure games back then.

Adol
Peasant Status

#32 Post by Adol » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:52 pm

Letsee, I played QFG 1 (VGA rerelease) first, then I borrowed a copy of QFG2. Now I have played adventure games for a long time, I started when KQ2 first came out, so I didn't have problems with the parser.
However, since it was a borrowed copy, I didn't get the map.
I had one heck of a time trying to follow that silly map-seller's directions. Man I was lost.
When I did find the moneychanger, it took me forever to get back!
Man that was fun...

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#33 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:00 pm

i won't get into how i got my copy.

anyway, i had a heck of a time finding the money changer. i was like, f this! but, by some miracle, i figured out the easy trick to it.
although i liked the game, i didn't like all the "dead time" in between fighting the elementals. it's like, you wait several days ... fight, easily beat. wait another several days ... etc. but, i enjoyed it, and, as my kitten stated in the off-topic forum, i too am excited about playing it.

Hale2000
Peasant Status

#34 Post by Hale2000 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:18 pm

My first memories of QFG2 was:

The disk in df0: has a read/write error.

Retry Cancel

Very amusing...

>:

Amiga owners should know what I'm talking about...

EvilMulder
Peasant Status

#35 Post by EvilMulder » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:46 pm

I've never played any of the QFG games, but I've played AGDI's two KQ remakes and I sure am looking forward to it. :)

Gin-Gin
Peasant Status

#36 Post by Gin-Gin » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:19 pm

The first time I played was when I bought the Anthology, I think in '96. Anyway, I had loved Quest for Glory I (the remake was the first QFG game I played), so I was really excited about the Anthology. I did have a hard time navigating the streets in QFGII, and I didn't really like it as much as the first one. I think I actually skipped it (horrible, I know :\ ), and beat the third and fourth games before I went back to it. I remember beating it (finally), but it was a few years later. I'm looking forward to the remake, though. I don't remember much about the original game, so I'll be surprised! Anyway, AGDI did a great job with the KQ remakes, so I'm sure QFGII will rock.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#37 Post by Peter Swinkels » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:16 pm

with a CGA monitor and the would not run on that type of video card.
It wouldn't run with a CGA adapter? Then why can I select a "CGA with RGB monitor - 2 Colors" adapter in the installation program?

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#38 Post by MacGyver » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:45 am

I got the game a few weeks after it came out despite having only CGA and 2x360k floppy drives without a hard drive. I tried to be smart and dump in some 4 colors CGA driver from other Sierra games onto the startup disk. Unfortunately, (if I do not have a memory leak) the moment Disk 5 loads, it prompts for Disk 1 on 1.2mb. There goes my hope.

End up playing the game somewhere else a year later.

Dragonrose
Peasant Status

#39 Post by Dragonrose » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:45 pm

I first played QFG2 sometime in '92, I think. My mom, a big Agatha Christie fan, wanted to buy The Colonel's Bequest, from the Price Club (a bulk warehouse store) but they only sold it packaged with this desert game called Trial By Fire. We played through Colonel's Bequest, and were all riled up to play another game. So we played QFG as a family with a fighter hero I think we called "Family." Awwww...

Bonehead
Peasant Status

#40 Post by Bonehead » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:54 am

First time I played QG2 I ahted it...same problem as Disco with standing up.... :o

I do remember QG4 a little more specifically, at least the first time I saw it played. My dad just got it from my uncle and it took forever to install. By the time it installed, me and my dad milled around for a while in the Bone Cave, looking for a way out. By the time we escaped the Dark One's Cave, it was my bedtime! :cry :cry :cry :cry

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#41 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:41 am

i played it when i was 7 iam 15 now.

dreammaster
Royal Servant Status

#42 Post by dreammaster » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:09 am

I first played QFG2 when I was about 15.. I picked up a copy on an overseas holiday, along with a copy of Cadaver (by the Bitmap Brothers). Man I had fun playing through it.. it was the first adventure game I'd played, and got me interested in the whole genre.

Back in those days, the Internet hadn't taken off, so I was pretty much isolated and forced to figure out all the puzzles myself, without the benefit of hints or a walkthrough. Frustrating at times, but looking back, it gave me greater satisfaction in the end. :D

Ghost_Rider
Knight Status

#43 Post by Ghost_Rider » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:05 am

I played the old "Hero's Quest" on an Amiga. Then there was a number of years where I had a Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory void, but got back on track with QFG2 when I got a 486.

I remember getting lost in the alleys, but then I found the map in the game box (I'm a guy - we don't read instructions... until something doesn't work... instructions are a last resort for us!) ;) Without that map, it would have been a nightmare navigating the alleys. Well, until you buy the map in the game. I stayed up way too late many nights playing that game. Soon after QFG3 came out.

I was confused at that point, was looking for Shadows of Darkness, and when I found the game as Wages of War, wasn't sure what had happened to the Shadows idea... until of course, QFG4 came out.

I still like the old style QFG2 where you have to type in the commands, but I am really looking forward to the remake!! :)

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#44 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:53 am

Me too.

The Guy
Knight Status

Re: Do you remember the first time you played QFG2?

#45 Post by The Guy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:26 pm

First time I played Quest for Glory 2 was in late 2001 early 2002.  I never got to play it when it came out (having started on Shadows of darkness at a friends house when that came out), mostly cause I didn't know about it.  The graphics didn't bother me too much since I had played the original Police Quest way back when that had been released.  I bought the Anthology off of eBay around 1999 I believe, but never had been able to play it on my newer computer since it was too fast and also didn't know about Dosbox til last year or so.  Had to play QFGII on another friends computer, for that was compatible enough to run the game fine.  So I started the whole thing over and back up to the 4th game (which I still have yet to beat again, stuck in the castle area).  The thing I had had found funny at the end of Trial by Fire was what Ghost_Rider had mentioned, where the game says to look for Shadows of Darkness as the next one, but having already played it before, it boggled my mind for a moment and I just started laughing the next.  Definately looking forward to the remake, just not sure if I want to start my thief all over again....     (also never played QFG5, only started it and never really got too far in it, maybe this will restore my inspiration to play it through all over again)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#46 Post by Gronagor » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:35 pm

Steffi Evenstar wrote:i won't get into how i got my copy.

anyway, i had a heck of a time finding the money changer.  i was like, f this!
(reply to that 2 months later:) That's why you've had a problem finding it Steffi!  :lol  The map came with the box.  :p  After that the maze became real fun. Like a box of choclate... ok, never mind.

The Guy
Knight Status

#47 Post by The Guy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:56 pm

Gronagor wrote:
The map came with the box.
Having the Anthology you unfortunately didn't get a map.  Had to buy the one ingame, which was somewhat helpful.
Edit: Seems I did the quote thing a bit wrong, I'm sure I will figure it out at some point.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#48 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:28 pm

Gronagor wrote:
Steffi Evenstar wrote:i won't get into how i got my copy.

anyway, i had a heck of a time finding the money changer.  i was like, f this!
(reply to that 2 months later:) That's why you've had a problem finding it Steffi!  :lol  The map came with the box.  :p  After that the maze became real fun. Like a box of choclate... ok, never mind.
I think you mean 1 year and 2 months later.

The Guy, please dont revive old threads, there's no need to especially when the thread has been dead for over a year.

Thanks  ;)