Alien

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Alien

#1 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:59 pm

I just bought the new Special Edition DVD's of ALIEN and ALIENS.

I have to say, that these films, 25 years out for ALIEN and 18 years out for ALIENS, still kick the ass of any new sci-fi, thriller, horror film that comes out now.

ALIEN..... what a story. And the special effects and creature gags? Awesome. They just don't design stuff like that anymore. H.R. Giger and his bio-mechanical-sexual bizzare designs are the stuff that nightmares are made of, and I just can't get over how organic, yet Alien, the whole design of the Alien World, The Derlict Ship, The Eggs and the Facehugger were. You just don't get really interesting design like that, or special effects. Back then the effects were practical, using puppeting, slight of hand and good camera tricks to get things to look right. The Chestburster scene in Alien can not be beat by any CG means. The artistry between the creature puppeteers, the costume builders, the set designers, the DP and the lighting of the set - along with the directors main vision is crazy. I love these films, and I reccommend that anyone who has never seen them, to go out and watch them. They are incredible films that will perhaps blow your mind. The DVD special editions are awesome for collectors, too. Each film has two DVD's; the first DVD contains the Theatrical Release AND a directors cut, and the second disc has many many behind the scenes featurettes and such.

I just love these films, heh, and wanted to share. I guess seeing Alien vs. Predator made me go back and visit my love for these films.

Bt

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:32 pm

I reaaly wish i could add to this but all those movies are older then i am...sorry

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Movies

#3 Post by Brainiac » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:40 am

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I reaaly wish i could add to this but all those movies are older then i am...sorry
So what? If you're any sort of sci-fi/suspense/action/horror fan, you owe it to yourself to watch these films.

I've seen both, and I must say, I love both of them. Bt's is right, the artistic work and suspense of those two are unparalleled. The most recent release, AvP, falls to the wayside against those two behemoths.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:13 am

my parents have stories about how Alien gave me horrific nightmares when i was a kid. gave me horrible fears of aliens for years to come. i remember being afraid of aliens, but don't particularly remember the nightmares from Alien. i'll take their word for it.

Blummer102
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Blummer102 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:34 pm

We watched Aliens on like one of the last days of 8th grade. Wouldn't expect to see that movie in middle school, eh? It was high quality stuff.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#6 Post by Boogeyman » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:40 am

I saw Alien in high school. I have never seen the others but I have emulated the SNES version of Alien3.

BTW, can anyone tell me the complete Alien life-cycle?

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#7 Post by Peter Swinkels » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:00 am

Amayirot Akago
Royal Servant Status

#8 Post by Amayirot Akago » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:12 pm

Boogeyman wrote:I saw Alien in high school. I have never seen the others but I have emulated the SNES version of Alien3.

BTW, can anyone tell me the complete Alien life-cycle?
Well, I've never seen the movies, but I've picked up enough knowledge to explain...

First, the Alien Queen lays an egg, containing a Facehugger. When the egg hatches, the Facehugger attaches itself to the face of the first non-Alien creature it encounters, injecting an embryo into its chest. This embryo grows into a so-called Chestburster, which, when fully grown, bursts out of the host's chest. The Chestburster then continues to grow into a mature Alien.