AGD Ever thought of a whole new Fan game instead of remake ?

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Hollister_Man
Peasant Status

#26 Post by Hollister_Man » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:32 pm

Wow, I'm glad someone is interested. I've been trying to get it working again for a while now. I suppose I'd better get a website started.

I was planning on a split path like Indy, but there will prolly be a few random monsters that you have no choice but battle. At the moment, all 'boss' monsters will be beatable with logic as well, though.

As for the mythos of the KQ series, what's the point if I didn't? ;) I intended to either change the underworld completely, or explain the reason it looks different. It'll be good I promise, I may contact my sister's fionce who is a writer and knows a lot of mythology. If it were up to you, would you allow Connor to visit other kingdoms from previous adventures? I'm trying to decide on this one. Maybe just a reference from the magic mirror would suffice.

I am currently writing the 'main path' down in narrative form, like the old King's Quest Companion, to keep my ideas on paper and just have a bit of fun with it. Once its finished, I will again try to make the backgrounds. Bt has offered some advice in their design, so it might be a bit easier. Here's an excerpt from that, in case you want to see it. Beware, its not really proofread yet, its only a first draft, and its a spoiler.

[spoiler]Connor was beginning to tire of this constant favor-doing. Could they not tell that he had to finish his quest? It was not important right now, he needed to get that mask piece anyway. He found a dry spot of land near the blackened water, retrieved his crossbow and tied a bean to the tip. Adding a drop of the fluid, he fired the arrow into the center of the sludge. There was a faint glow, then a green shoot blasted up from the murk. It curled and twisted, and suddenly it stopped, turning sooty black and noisily crackling like hot charcoal. He saw that his plan had worked, the piece of the Mask had stuck in a curl of the beanstalk.

He tapped the charred stalk with his staff to retrieve the piece, and the branch shattered like he imagined it would. The fragment fell into his hands and was soon nestled deep in his pack with the other. As he looked up, he saw an amazing sight. The blackness drew back like a great shadow over the swamp, pulling in its inky tendrils, soon closing in on itself. He had not thought that he would see so many astonishing things in his lifetime, if it had not been for this journey he would not have. In his astonishment, he very nearly lost his head.

Luckily he caught the squeak of metal behind him. Another henchman had materialized and was on the attack. Connor blocked the hacking blow with his staff, then swung the heavy wooden pole into the henchman's side. It seemed to destabilize the cohesion the pieces of armor had, but not enough. Connor got just far enough away to grab the firemushroom bag that he had. He poured the last drop of the growth elixir on it, then tossed it at the henchman. It slipped between the metal joints at its 'neck' and an instant later the armor exploded in all directions with a tremendous bang. He looked around, the armor seemed to be staying put. He grabbed the gauntlet that sat nearby and put it in his pack, figuring it might be of some use.[/spoiler]

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#27 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:09 pm

Sweet stuff, Hollister Man. I think it will be fun to have an Adventure/Point and Click version of MoE. Nice job!

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#28 Post by Alias » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:42 pm

Yeah very nice! ;) ;) ;)

Asmodian
Peasant Status

#29 Post by Asmodian » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:26 pm

Quest for glory didnt seem nearly finished for me there were tons of themes left to explore. They didnt even realy do a winter country and those are crawling with fairy tails that they could use. Heh you could meet up with that giant you traded for the gem with in qg1, and if i recall he was preety uber so your super skills wouldnt be so super over there.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#30 Post by Alias » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:47 pm

Asmodian wrote:Quest for glory didnt seem nearly finished for me there were tons of themes left to explore. They didnt even realy do a winter country and those are crawling with fairy tails that they could use. Heh you could meet up with that giant you traded for the gem with in qg1, and if i recall he was preety uber so your super skills wouldnt be so super over there.
Almost all sierra games didnt get a chance to go to a icey place. :|

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#31 Post by Gronagor » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:46 am

KQ5 did a little bit... for 4 or 5 screens. :)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#32 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:20 am

And KQ3 with the trip across the mountains...

And that whole level in KQ:MOE with the ice dragon...

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#33 Post by Gronagor » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:20 pm

I guess the reason why everyone's a bit unwilling to do that kind of game is that the characters would need 'footmarks' in the snow.

Possible... but a lot of work.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#34 Post by Alias » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:23 pm

Gronagor wrote:I guess the reason why everyone's a bit unwilling to do that kind of game is that the characters would need 'footmarks' in the snow.

Possible... but a lot of work.
Well not really. But what would I know! :rolleyes

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#35 Post by Oilers99 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:00 pm

Eh, I don't see the point of doing fan sequels. Why would you spend so much time and originality only to be limited by the conventions of the series? IMO, the adventure genre has to be revived by a series of necessary innovations, and someone has to realize what those are, and go for it. Of course, I have some ideas of my own, but I'll sit on them, just in case they can net me a Developer for a Day win, or something.

Jafar
Super Star

#36 Post by Jafar » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:30 am

Fan sequels are good, though I'd like to see an Original Sierra-like game.

Oilers99
Royal Servant Status

#37 Post by Oilers99 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:05 pm

Jafar wrote:Fan sequels are good, though I'd like to see an Original Sierra-like game.
Why? There's originality to be done with adventure games.

Hollister_Man
Peasant Status

#38 Post by Hollister_Man » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:09 pm

While there are many good original ideas, fangames have a larger base of fans ready to try them out at a moment's notice. Imagine how hard it would have been for AGDI to 'market' KQ1VGA if KQ1 hadn't ever been made? Its a very linear game, and the backgrounds are very linear compared to the newer games. A fun, original game is doable whether set in the world of another game or in a completely new one.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#39 Post by Jontas » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:48 pm

What about a completely original adventure game by AGDI? If you guys released an original game you could sell it, I would buy a game by AGDI.
Of course all your current staff are volunteers, so you'd probably have a hard time paying them for projects and stuff.

- Jon :smokin

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#40 Post by Alias » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:40 pm

As said before, THEY ONLY MAKE SIERRA REMAKES! :|
It would be nice but its up to AGDI and Im sure they they are sick of being told what to do, nothin' personal. Just my rants. ;)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#41 Post by Gronagor » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:52 pm

They work on original games at their new (2 year old) Himalaya Studios. I think Erpy said the site will be back up soon.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#42 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:00 pm

Well, the site says so itself. :) Who am I to contradict it?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#43 Post by Gronagor » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:04 pm

Really. Hmmm... It's still word of mouth. I'll go check. :)

Edit: Yeah... you were right. hmmm. Any idea what happened to that 'guess the game' competition? :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#44 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:43 pm

I believe there was a winner.

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

#45 Post by Jontas » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:11 am

Gronagor wrote:They work on original games at their new (2 year old) Himalaya Studios. I think Erpy said the site will be back up soon.
What site? :)