You'd better get this thing out soon...

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

TRAPP

You'd better get this thing out soon...

#1 Post by TRAPP » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:19 pm

or we will all get too old to play QFG2. I was fan of QFG some years ago. I was 10 whe i seen it. Then i was 16 - new school new friends new addictions :) and less time to interest with old games - I mean you are cool that you want to do a remake - it's ok - but in few years noone will remember that game - i will have wive - some children and letters "Q-F-G" will just bring smile to my face but nothing more - WE ALL will be to old for playing games. Windows 98 is outdated now not to mention some VGA graphics games - you are loosing members cos it's all too slow - year ago u said you are VERY close to finishing. That year was just enough for me to say - "ah, screw it - they aren't going to make it" - sorry but it's what it is... bye

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:28 pm

Don't worry. It'll get completed. It's just a lot of work. (it's a lot more complicated than KQ1VGA or KQ2VGA) Yet, we're still working on it daily. I can guarantee you you'll get to play the game before you're too old.

The game WILL get completed.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:08 pm

I doubt AGDI even care about the people posting here (in the sense of that they're not making the game especially for them)

Considering the amount of downloads I don't think they should worry about a few people not visiting the site anymore.

And what the heck?? Your post gives the idea that these games are meant for kids only!?!?!?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:19 pm

TRAPP!! Come backkkk! Please!!!! We'll do anything! ANYTHING!!!! :cry

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#5 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:15 pm

TRAPP, please don't complain. AGDI is so hard at work on this game for us all, please have a bit patience. It will come, with time (though I think we all hope it will not take too long ;) ).

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Alias » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:51 pm

Gronagor wrote:I doubt AGDI even care about the people posting here (in the sense of that they're not making the game especially for them)

Considering the amount of downloads I don't think they should worry about a few people not visiting the site anymore.

And what the heck?? Your post gives the idea that these games are meant for kids only!?!?!?

In a way I agree, and in a way I disagree. I mea... I better not say anything before people start to get their flam throwers out. :rolleyes

malekdarshin
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by malekdarshin » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:12 am

I swear! I think the game is already done, but everytime some one asks when it will be out or why it's taking so long AGDI pushes the release date back a few days. At this rate we may see it sometime in 2010. We should all know that they are working on it pretty steady. Isn't that enough?

Jafar
Super Star

#8 Post by Jafar » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:55 am

*Gasps*
Nobody is ever too old to play a game. How could you even suggest such a thing?

Adventurer
Peasant Status

re

#9 Post by Adventurer » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:57 am

I think the real question we need to ask is Quest for Glory II VGA closer to completion then Hero6 is? If so thats a pretty good acomplishment since (if I'm not mistaken) Hero6 has been in production since 1983. No offense to the Hero6 team though.

Jafar
Super Star

#10 Post by Jafar » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:13 am

Who cares if QFG2VGA comes out before Hero6? Both will be great games, theres no need to have "H6 team VS AGDI".

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#11 Post by Swift » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:23 am

Somehow I just knew that somebody would mention h6 in this. H6 has been in production since 1999, and it will most likely be finished. It's very discouraging for the team members to read complaints about the game taking too long to finish or that other teams fared better. It's a free game. They don't earn anything out of it.

Adventurer
Peasant Status

Hero6

#12 Post by Adventurer » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:04 am

I didn't say Hero6 was bad or taking too long. I just said Tierra was above average judgeing by the current standard of how long it takes other fans to create a Quest For Glory like game.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#13 Post by Spikey » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:18 am

And that's very true. I don't even check the Hero6 site anymore, cause to be honest, I don't think they'll ever finish.

BeerNutts
Peasant Status

History is a great fortune-teller...

#14 Post by BeerNutts » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:48 pm

And AGDI has already completed two great games. Why would someone think they wouldn't complete this game they've been working so hard on?

People like TRAPP have no idea how long and hard it is to make a GOOD game, esp. with the limited # of people AGDI has.

If you want games that won't ever be finished look at KQ9 and (probably) Hero6, but don't start saying that about this proven group.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

Re: History is a great fortune-teller...

#15 Post by Swift » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:36 pm

BeerNutts wrote:If you want games that won't ever be finished look at KQ9 and (probably) Hero6,
Again, it's not very fair to make such statements, and they tend to do more harm than good.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#16 Post by Alias » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:26 pm

Indeed, Hero 6 has been going on for 4 years, and AGDI have made 2 games and almost done with the third. Space Quest 7 is due in about the end of 2005, at least they have a reason for taking so long, they made their own engine and its in real time 3D. :eek

I think Hero 6 should get a move on, they dont even have a decent demo, wow they have a room demo. At least SQ7 has a breath taking trailer and images. :\

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#17 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:28 pm

AGDI's games are remakes, so we basically have a pre-written plot and a solid game structure to work with from the very beginning. Hero6 and KQ9 were both written entirely from scratch and consequently, they must go through additional plot and puzzle refinement stages in addition to everything else. This takes time.

Even with QFG2's story and puzzles clearly and completely laid out for us, the remake has still been in production since the beginning of 2002. That's just how long it takes to complete game this magnitude -- even if it's a remake. There are stats systems to tweak, there are different character classes to implement (which is essentially like making 3 games in one) and there's a heck of a lot of animation frames to create. That's not to mention music, backgrounds, dialogue pictures etc. Now, keep in mind that a lot of the original game's artwork and music is already laid out for us too. In most cases, we just need to paint over it/re-record it and make it look/sound better. We can just use the same timing and screen co-ordinates. That saves us a lot of time. But games like Hero6 and KQ9 are creating new lands to explore with original artwork and new music and puzzles. All of their work is original. It stands to reason, that an original game takes longer to create than a remake. I don't think anyone can say that these teams won't succeed. The fact that they have survived and not fizzled out proves that they have staying power... and if you persist at something until everything that can be done, has been done, you'll have a finished game eventually.

With fan games (even commercial projects) people come and go - sometimes suddenly and without explanation. There can be a lot of unforeseeable factors that contribute to slow progress. And when you're not paying people, you rely solely on team motivation to get things done. There's really no need to put AGDI up on a pedestal for finishing games before anyone else. This is no race. Besides, if these fan game releases are spread out over time, people will be able to appreciate each one for what it is and play through it thoroughly, rather than thinking "Argghhhh, I've gotta quickly finish fangame A so I can make a start on fangame B!"

As for TRAPP... don't worry. He'll be back! Funnily enough, I was 12 when QFG2 was first released so by his reasoning, I'll "grow out of it" a few years before he does. :lol It hasn't happened to me yet (I don't think it ever will), and the game will be finished long, long before it ever could. You've heard people say, "I missed the 60's!"... well TRAPP will be saying the same thing about the second coming of adventure games if he turns his back on QFG2VGA when the end is so near! Come back TRAPP! It's not too late to redeem yourself!!

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Alias » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:40 pm

Well I hope that now everyone will understand. ;) I sure do.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#19 Post by Fribbi » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:23 pm

Trapp (with two p) has some big point there.

Most of those old classic Sierra is very hard to find on these days and I don't think there is many young Icelandic kids or teenagers who can buy it from e-bay or from some other blackmarket or anywhere. And I am not even sure if they have any interest to buy one of those rare Sierra games now.

The big question is what will happen after they in AGDI have finally complete the game and give QG2VGA game out ?

I also think many people will ask: Where can I get the first part and the third part, fourth and the fifth chapter of that game?

So if you want my own suggestion, what game should be reworked on next time, remake a classic Sierra style game, if you still want to do that but it must be a game without sequal. Because it could be very difficult to find where you can get the rest of the game.

You just can't make another game when the the rest of those Sierra games are really hard to find for everyone in these world especially for the Sierra games newplayers, because you will probably have to remake all of those games.

It would be better if you could buy the copyright of Sierra so why haven't you start to make a donation for it now?

Otherwise it would be big waste of time. Sure I know you are trying to make people happy when you are sharing the news about how it is going when you are remaking those classic games but what is the big point on all this?

It doesn't matter what Sierra games you going to work on next now because most of those game needs to be remaked again for the newest computers nowadays. And that means like we all have to do if that ever happens if you are going to do that, we have to wait longer for it then. But I'm afraid that will never happen. You and your fans will probably get tired of these games in the future. Especially when they have to wait and wait again for the old classic Sierra game to come out again and all of those sierra games you could buy from E-bay now will no longer be there any longer and will maybe be forgotten then. Unless someone is still selling it to remind the world on these games but it could also be difficult to find a computer who can play it then in the future because most of those old computer has ended in recycle factory.

(It's been long time since I wrote to you like that, sorry if I'm geting boring again, hahahaha!)

Fribbi the owl has spoken.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#20 Post by 1eyedParrot » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:00 pm

Buy the Sierra copyright? Ok lets see who has a $150 million USD just lying around....

EDIT-

Just thought to add, why in the hell would AGDI spend all the time required to remake all the seirra classic games? That sounds like a gigantic waste of talent, time, and effort to me.

Adventurer
Peasant Status

re

#21 Post by Adventurer » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:43 pm

I wonder if Sierra would ever consider selling the copywrites just to Kings Quest, if some other developer wanted it. That's happened to game franchises in the past. Although I'm sure it would still be quite expensive. Sierra seems to have no plans to do more Kings Quest games themselves. I wonder if we are stuck in a state where Sierra considers Kings Quest too valuable to sell and yet not profitable enough to produce? Seems like a bad business plan to me. But I guess we will have to see what the future holds.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#22 Post by Alias » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:59 pm

It would be cheap if it was. Anyway I feel so sad when I read the posts, why doesent someone host every Sierra adventure game? Sure you will need about 6-9 gig of space, and 100 gig of bandwidth. ;)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#23 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:51 pm

why doesent someone host every Sierra adventure game? Sure you will need about 6-9 gig of space, and 100 gig of bandwidth.
Probably because its illegal. But I doubt that would stop anyone.

(You wouldnt need to host them the best way to distribute something like that is BitTorrent that way downloaders distribute it to other downloaders while they are downloading.)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#24 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:38 pm

Oh God. This kind of stuff makes me laugh. :lol

As a fan who got into the game making/remaking domain, because of Tierra/AGDI basically, I can say - IT'S NOT EASY, OR QUICK TO MAKE OR REMAKE A GAME.

We're doing this kind of stuff for free. People got paid really well to make these kinds of games years ago, and now we do it in our spare time. It takes time, effort, practice and hard work to make these games. Quest For Infamy, for instance, has been in production for 10 months - and admitedly, when I started I foolishly believed it would be completed rather quickly. But as AGC2 said, story editing, development, music, coodination - it takes time. A lot of time. But it's worth it in the end, and I know there will ALWAYS be people who want to play these games. I too was 12 when QFG2 came out, and I'm still into it, 14 years later. Patience is a virtue. It's not easy making these games for free, no doubt. If I had a budget, a dedicated team that I saw in an office EVERY DAY, maybe the entire production would take less time. But we communicate over the internet and phone and that's slower in someways. But the games will get done. And I'm psyched to see what QFG2 VGA has to offer, and also, I'm psyched to see what Himalaya Studios ( www.himalayastudios.com for those who wonder) has to offer in the future. I can say that we at IA are tossing around ideas for a future game that will be completely original as well.

It's a labour of love, and it takes time. Hold on. If you can't, too bad for you. Your loss. I'll still play QFG2VGA whenever it comes out.

Bt

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#25 Post by Fribbi » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:18 pm

Hmm it seems to me www.Himalayastudios.com has been shut down now.
When will it be open again?