The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#501 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:43 pm

Sony announces PSTwo!! a new smaller, slimmer PS2 with a fliptop lid like PS1!!!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

PSTwo

#502 Post by Brainiac » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:23 am

Hardly unexpected but certainly intriguing. But the lack of compatibility with the HDD may be a low sales point. Including online capability without hard disk space for patches/updates/etc. is why Everquest: Online Adventures flopped on the PS2...

Over 500 posts in the thread...shouldn't we be talking about computer games more than console games? ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#503 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:44 am

cool i hope that makes the ps2 cheaper as it already could be a lot cheaper because it's pretty cheap to make. Wow that was a bad sentence. I'm beggining to see what you guys were talking about. Anyways here's to hopes for a sheaper world

Jafar
Super Star

#504 Post by Jafar » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 am

shouldn't we be talking about computer games more than console games?
Think of this as the offical console game thread.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#505 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:04 am

Yea your right Brainiac... I mean I wouldnt of even thought there would be space for a smaller laptop HDD, maybe its compatible with external drives?

We'll have to see but it is definetly interesting!

BTW Sony has confirmed that the PS3 will use Blu-Ray technology which from what I read is a new type of DVD which on just one layer can hold 25GB of data!!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#506 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:46 pm

Calling all PS2 owners, you gotta checkout Burnout 3: Takedown!

A game which actually rewards you for smashing into other cars and wrecking them on the road!

To win a race you can either beat them by going faster OR smash them into walls, grind them against steel barriers and shunt them into a lethal skid!

The graphics are really cool too!!

Check out these Screenshots

So, what are you console/PC gamers out there playing currently??

Me:

Just finished Shellshock Nam 67' - PS2

Just started Burnout 3: Takedown - PS2

Playing Holye Board Games 2005 - PC

Still enjoying Spiderman 2 - PS2

Some juicy M.A.M.E. roms - PC

Replaying Broken Sword 3 - PC

Also started playing Jackie Chan Adventures on PS2 but havnt played much due to Shellshock Nam 67' and Burnout 3 ;)

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#507 Post by KKuhlman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:42 pm

Brunout 3... That game rules supreme over all racing games if you ask me. And I normally don't even like racing games, but there is just something about this..

And I'm playing Commandos: Behind the enemy lines.
Atleast every now and then..

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Games

#508 Post by Brainiac » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:47 am

At the moment, I'm not currently playing anything, but I get my paycheck tomorrow, so I will most likely then be buying (and playing) MYST IV: Revelation.

Jafar
Super Star

#509 Post by Jafar » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:37 am

I'm playing so many games, I've lost count. I never did go back to playing FF6...

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#510 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:30 pm

Whoohoo!!

Finally picked up Final Fantasy X-2!!

Just need FFXI and FXII when they are released, dunno about FFXI though as its online only....

If it comes with the HD like it did in the US then I might just play the months free trial.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Purchases

#511 Post by Brainiac » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:24 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Whoohoo!!

Finally picked up Final Fantasy X-2!!
This is considered a good thing? :\
Angelus3K wrote:Just need FFXI and FXII when they are released, dunno about FFXI though as its online only....

If it comes with the HD like it did in the US then I might just play the months free trial.
I'm not willing to pony up every month either, despite all the good word-of-mouth I've heard from my friends.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#512 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:48 am

I really just bought X-2 to go into my FF Collection and the only reason I'm going to play it is too see what happens to Tidus.

I agree about XI no matter how good it is I cant be bothered to pay a monthly subscription.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#513 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:10 pm

Hey Spikey bet your happy X-Men Legends as come out!!

I'll have to let you know my first impressions!

Also in other news Veitiful Joe is coming out October 1st in PAL regions and news of Vietful Joe 2 has just arrived to! (Thats for PS2 but I assume GC are getting it too.)

Anyway I have a QUESTION!

50hz VS 60hz

Fair enough PAL used 50hz and NTSC use 60hz but why am I seeing on a lot of new PAL games the option to play in 60hz? (NTSC)

Because whenever I try it the graphics look worse as there are these lines on the screen kinda like scanlines and the colours are darker.

I tried it on Shellshock Nam 67' and it was crap, graphics were crap with the lines and not clear like PAL and because the colours were darker I couldnt see when the cross hair went red when it went over an enemy. That may just be my colour blindness I dunno.

But every game I try and 60hz looks worse the 50hz and I see no speed differance so why is it an option then????

I'm sure 60hz is fine for you guys since your used to it but I dont think I could get used to it as I prefer the clearer PAL graphics.

What do you guys think?

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#514 Post by anathoth8 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:36 pm

The 60hz used by NTSC is somewhat deceptive.

What actually happens is that the screen is divided into 2 fields. If you started from the top of the screen and counted each pixel line, the odd lines would be in the first field, and the even lines would be in the second field.

The fields are updated alternately. That is to say, the odd field is refreshed, then the even field is refreshed, and on and on. In this way, there are 60 updates per second, but each field is only updated 30 times per second. You may have heard the term "interlacing"? This is what that is called.

(BTW, the newer TVs have a function called progressive scan. This updates the full screen 60 times per second, getting rid of the interlacing entirely.)

I'm afraid that I don't know the technical side of how PAL works, so I am unable to offer a detailed comparison in that regard.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#515 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:43 am

Hmm, so it may be then that 60hz with progressive scan is the best option.

I'll have to get a TV that supports that in future.

So anathoth you've never seen a game in PAL and NTSC?

I think you would be surprised but then I dont know because you will be used to NTSC, and if PAL was so great then wouldnt everybody use it and in PAL games why would there be an option to use NTSC instead...

I'll have to take this question to a more techincial board, thanks for the insight though, I never knew exactly what those terms meant but I'd certainly heard of them before.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#516 Post by Spikey » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:35 pm

Yes, I'm dying for X-men Legends. Professor Xavier in a wheelchair is a selectable character. That is so cool.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#517 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:49 pm

anathoth8 wrote:What actually happens is that the screen is divided into 2 fields. If you started from the top of the screen and counted each pixel line, the odd lines would be in the first field, and the even lines would be in the second field.

The fields are updated alternately. That is to say, the odd field is refreshed, then the even field is refreshed, and on and on. In this way, there are 60 updates per second, but each field is only updated 30 times per second. You may have heard the term "interlacing"? This is what that is called.
This is the exact same way PAL works, except it is 50 updates per second, 25 updates per field.

The option to choose 60Hz for PAL games is not NTSC, but rather, it is an extension of the PAL format, called PAL60. Essentially, you get the best from both worlds - NTSC offering the additional updates per second, and PAL offering the higher resolution.

PAL60 is not NTSC, the output is still PAL - if you were to pass a PAL60 signal through an NTSC television, the ouput would be black and white, similar to how an NTSC signal is displayed on a PAL TV.

PAL60 is supported my most televisions nowadays, but TV Tuners for a PC usually don't support it - and while you can choose to use NTSC, it'd be in black and white.

As for progressive scan, that feature is removed from all European games, because virtually nobody has a TV that supports it.

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#518 Post by VampD3 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:58 pm

it is an extension of the PAL format, called PAL60.
I thought it might have been PAL 60 but it looks exactly the same as NTSC, I think I'll just stick with normal PAL. :|

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#519 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:16 am

Hey Brooms its what ya been waiting for!! WORD LIFE!!

;)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#520 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:03 pm

Whoohoo!!!!

Just got some new PS2 games!

Dej Jam: Fight for NY which is just brutal!! The moves are sick!! Which is good,

Star Wars: BattleFront which is really cool for reliving all those Star Wars famous battles cool online mode aswell and

Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time which I havnt played yet due to playing the previous 2 games lol!

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#521 Post by KKuhlman » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:43 pm

Star Wars: Battlefront is a nice game, although it kicks you in the balls hard and screams "BATTLEFIELD!!".

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#522 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:05 pm

Yea it is a total rip of Battlefield!!

But its still cool blasting Gungans as one of those little droids from Episode 1.

Its also cool rolling along as one of those thingies that has its own shield. You know what I mean there in Episode 1 at the palace on Naboo they roll along then put their legs down and put a shield up around them....

Jafar
Super Star

#523 Post by Jafar » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:36 am

I just beat Star Ocean: Till the end of time and Champions of Norrath (Played it with my older sister. She couldn't of done it without me, since by the end of the game she was nowhere near as strong as me.)
Now for Ocarina of Time and the Master Quest...

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#524 Post by Spikey » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:59 am

I finally have some time to quietly sit down and play some Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

PS2

#525 Post by Brainiac » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:13 am

While MYST IV currently occupies much of my thoughts, on the PS2 front, MegaMan X: Command Mission now has my attention as well.