KQ3 updated graphics poll

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Would you like to play the kq3 remake with these graphics ?

Yes. I would like this style of enhanced original design
64%
No. I prefer not to play a remake, than to play a remake with these graphics
36%

Total votes: 25

Zeus
Knight Status

#26 Post by Zeus » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:57 am

well, i just thought that expressions such as "your graphics fall woefully short" "your VGA graphics are mediocre" (because the stairs had not the right tone :lol) were not necessary,were hyberbolic and do not lead anywhere except for showing that there is a kind of biterness(?)

I just asked for votes :D (not for president!) (and constructive criticism)
Fortunately only 2 people were impolite.

I am not trying to influence people. I just think that the film analogy is not exact. I justified where i disagreed with a specific opinion, and we started a conversation, which was quite interesting.

The poll results are entairtaining though. People's opinions are split and there is a derby for the final result.

Velocity
Royal Servant Status

#27 Post by Velocity » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:04 pm

Your graphics were good in my tastes, but I'd like to point out a flaw in your QFG1 argument. QFG1 was EGA, the step between AGI and VGA. EGA apparently has more colors than AGI, but fewer colors than VGA.

EDIT: I added the apparently because I realized that every game and program really only has 4 colors, red, green, blue, and black. Those are spread in various combinations in order to make more colors, but older computers had far larger pixels than current computers, which makes it harder to make more colors.
Last edited by Velocity on Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adeyke

#28 Post by adeyke » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:19 pm

Your graphics were good in my tastes, but I'd like to point out a flaw in your QFG1 argument. QFG1 was EGA, the step between AGI and VGA. EGA has more colors than AGI, but fewer colors than VGA.
No. AGI is EGA. It has the same 16 colour restriction. However, AGI games also have the half-width resolution restriction. The graphics are only 160 pixels wide, not 320. That means that games like QfG1 have twice the resolution to work with. This increased resolution also allows for dithering: alternating pixels of two colours to create a new one. The half-width of AGI means you can't create good dithering there.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#29 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:52 pm

Zeus wrote:
Blackthorne i have to agree with you. Drawing a vga picture from scratch has the best result. But i am afraid i do not have the time to do this. We are talking about 80-90 pictures!

What would you change in the original AGI architecture of the scene Blackthorne? I have some ideas but i would like to listen to other ideas as well. The best would be if someone provided an example to see...
It doesn't take me that long to make a basic VGA remake of an AGI screen.
It just takes perserverance. Doing 80-90 pictures, well, that's the nature of the job.

Bt

Zeus
Knight Status

#30 Post by Zeus » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:20 am

The AGI remake does not takes so many hours for me too.
However designing from scratch (sketch+coloring+processing) in 640x480 takes a considerable amount of effort and time .

Come on people, place your vote please! 15 votes are not enough :)

Fender178
Knight Status

#31 Post by Fender178 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:38 pm

Nice pictures Zeus. I would refuse to play the game in the style that lucasarts made their adventure game series though. I would play it if the characters were remade to fit the vganess of the game.

Zeus
Knight Status

#32 Post by Zeus » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:15 pm

Thanks.
I agree with you. A vga picture needs more colors and detail.
I keep practicing finding a style closest to sierra graphics with minimum
effort...
:hat

Jontas
Royal Servant Status

of course

#33 Post by Jontas » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:41 pm

I'd play a remake of any adventure game at least once, I think your graphics are just fine and hope that you do make a remake of this game. However I hope your remake or anyone elses would not detur AGDI from completing their remake, that is the one that I look forward to the most.

Zeus
Knight Status

#34 Post by Zeus » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:24 pm

Generally no matter how hard someone tries to discourage me from doing something, i am not the type of person that gives up so easily.I am very stubborn, so if i decide that i have to do it, will do it. Thus i finally worked on these graphics of kq3.
You can have a small taste of these graphics in Radiant's
version of KQ3 game:

http://www.liacs.nl/~psimoons/kq3b5.zip

I do not believe that this will distract AGDI from making their own version. If someone wants to do a remake, he/she can do it freely!
I am looking forward for their version as well. But if they continue with
commercial products after qg2 then.....it is a different story.

I liked Radiant's version because he put a lot of effort and time in this project and created a 'new' enjoyable game.

Gav
Knight Status

#35 Post by Gav » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:16 pm

I don't think your graphics are too bad really. And besides, a change is as good as a holiday, right? Something different is generally of interest.

AGDI has already stated many, many times that other kq3 remakes won't deter them from making one if they decide that's what they want to do.