Any advice on getting rid of unwanted attention?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#151 Post by Spikey » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:33 am

Brainy. I said I would leave this topic forever, but you said such interesting things. Now let us stop spamming here and leave this thread be. Though this was the most interesting part up until now. :lol

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Okay

#152 Post by Brainiac » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:37 am

As you wish. Feel free to drop me a line to talk mythology anytime, Spikey (or just come to the chatroom now).

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Advice?

#153 Post by FatherGhostface » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:04 pm

Go to another demension? Meditate? Read "The Book of Azar?" Those things always cheer me up and get things off my mind.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#154 Post by Renodox » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:55 am

Magnificent! This was by and far the most replied to thread that I started. Thank you all who participated and gave me advice. And it taught me something: I'm given attention because I'm trying so hard not to get attention. I have to blend in, I have to look and act like everyone else. Sick. Oh, well. Maybe I'll carry a mirror around to make people think I'm conceded. Besides, this will enable me to escape Eros/Cupid's arrow. If I am struck I'll look at the mirror and fall in love with me.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#155 Post by fluxmaster » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:34 pm

Renodox wrote:If I am struck I'll look at the mirror and fall in love with me.
I thought that you were already in love with yourself.

Gav
Knight Status

#156 Post by Gav » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:18 pm

Hehe, I was gonna post the exact same thing.

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#157 Post by Vipt » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:16 pm

OK, just testing... 8o

Broomie
The Enigma

#158 Post by Broomie » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:12 pm

Why here, and not Random Rants?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#159 Post by navynuke04 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forums, but please don't use images that large in your signature. It makes viewing the forums rather annoying.

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

Population Growth

#160 Post by Vipt » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:28 am

Thanks for the welcome.
Sorry about the signature picture. I won't use it anymore, I just wanted to see how it showed up. :o

Anyways, I wanted to respond to Abenteuer's post concerning population growth. It has been bothering me, and I have been looking around on this site for a while now, but I've never posted. I registered and everything just to get my word out. (pretty sad, huh? ;) )

OK, here's my beef:
According to his paradigm (or whatever), even when every couple has only two children, the population grows exponentially, leading to a huge surge in population within only dozen or so generations. If this equation actually reflected human population growth, I'm afraid we'd be in a much worse situation than we are in already. The first one to post on the issue (sorry, I don't remember the name :( ) was actually correct on the matter; i.e. if every couple produced only 2 children, the population growth factor would be essentially neutralized.

Here's how you got it wrong, though don't feel bad, it's a common mistake.

First, I need to emphasize that these circumstances are highly hypothetical: no factoring of premature death and assuming everyone has exactly the same life-span. To make it even simpler, the whole idea of couples breeding overcomplicates the premise, considering that purely monogamous lifetime partnerships are not universal. Let's just say that only those able to conceive can produce the required 2 offspring in their lifetime. That means only approximately the half of the population that is female, regardless of who the male engenderer was, should be considered.

Origin 1 male, 1 female

Now, only the female births two children, by chance 1 male, 1 female.

First Generation 2 males, 2 females Total: 4 persons

This makes the total population 4, but since the original female already produced her 2 offspring, only the First Generation female procreates, with the same result of 1 male, 1 female. (Once again, keep in mind the circumstances are hypothetical, so inbreeding is allowed :p)

Second Generation 3 males, 3 females Total: 6 persons

At this point, let's say the original two die off, but the Second Generation female now produces her 2 children to replace them.

Third Generation 3 males, 3 females Total: 6 persons

Before the next generation, the First Generation children die off, and the Third Generation female now produces 2 children to replace them

Fourth Generation 3 males, 3 females Total: 6 persons

So, as you can see, the population is now stagnant; zero growth. From here there are only two ways that the population growth rate can be changed: 1. By increasing/decreasing the life-span of each person, or 2. by varying the number of offspring allowed per female. Since the conclusion that only 2 children per female will stabilize the population growth rate is Quod Erat Demonstandum, the only way for the population to continue to grow is by an increase in each generation's life-span over the previous generation. This is the precept behind the great surge of population in recent decades, which is facilitated by an unprecedented increase in worldwide average life-span. You got it wrong in calculating human population growth as if we reproduced asexually, like a hydra that reproduces by budding.

Geeze, this post is getting HUGE. I'll stop now... :\

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#161 Post by Renodox » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:04 pm

Well, welcome to the forums. And I think that this thread has gotten as far off topic as any possibly could.

I'm still having trouble. Last night my brother asked me to take him and his girlfriend to get a move then to Taco Bell. Anyway, as we went by Taco Bell I drove past one of the customers walking out of the resteraunt. I paid no attention to her but my brother's grilfriend claimed that the girl smiled at me and started mocking me about that girl wanting me >:. I didn't believe that at all, simply because I don't see how anyone could be attracted to someone who just passes by in a car. That, of course, wasn't the only trouble I had. Just yesterday at school, some woman walked by but when she noticed me glance towards her she bent herself so that her chest stuck out more and she kept looking at me as she passed. If this keeps up I'm going to have to take drastic measures!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#162 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:04 pm

It's nice to see a post of some intelligence. Who cares how long it gets?!

Bt

Skyshark
Knight Status

#163 Post by Skyshark » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:16 pm

Renodox, Renodox, Renodox... you're letting this get to you. My advice is to just smile to acknowledge them and move on. Their is absolutely no need to ignore people like a jerk or snob would and possibly hurt their feelings in the process. Besiding, ignoring them or treating them like they don't exist constantly could end up working against you, particularly if they can identify you and rumours start spreading as a result, particularly amongst their friends and their friends friends and so on, and then other people could start treating you like you don't exist or as utter scum as a form of retribution. It's sound extreme, but it can happen in some circumstances. Besides, if I found out someone was treating one of my friends in a similar manner by ignoring them or being an absolute jerk towards them, I'd be very tempted to do what I could to return the favour in one form or another.

If it does continue to bug you, do not delay in going to see a doctor about it. Because if it does go on, chances are that things could get worse. Don't continue ignoring the problem. And I'm talking from personal experience here, having had to do something about a long standing problem that was threatening to take over me and consume my thoughts, mainly because of the guilt.

Not trying to slam you or anything, mate, it's just that I'm speaking my mind and telling it like it is and how I see it.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#164 Post by Spikey » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:06 pm

Renodox wrote:Well, welcome to the forums. And I think that this thread has gotten as far off topic as any possibly could.

I'm still having trouble. Last night my brother asked me to take him and his girlfriend to get a move then to Taco Bell. Anyway, as we went by Taco Bell I drove past one of the customers walking out of the resteraunt. I paid no attention to her but my brother's grilfriend claimed that the girl smiled at me and started mocking me about that girl wanting me >:. I didn't believe that at all, simply because I don't see how anyone could be attracted to someone who just passes by in a car. That, of course, wasn't the only trouble I had. Just yesterday at school, some woman walked by but when she noticed me glance towards her she bent herself so that her chest stuck out more and she kept looking at me as she passed. If this keeps up I'm going to have to take drastic measures!

Shocking

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#165 Post by Renodox » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:13 pm

Well, these aren't the "drastic measures" I mentioned before but I just thought of something I could do! I could smear black berries or eat one of those black cherry Blowpops. Then I'd LOVE to see how people reacted when I smiled at them!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#166 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:37 am

heh that's elementary dear watson. No seriously i did those kinda things in Elementry school. I'd F@#$ with ppls heads just to see what happened. Needless to say much like someone working in portopoties i had to clear up a lot of crap all the time

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#167 Post by fluxmaster » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:51 pm

Hey, check out this article:

Study: One in 100 adults asexual

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#168 Post by Vipt » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:13 pm

Woah, I'm not so sure about that study Flux. Though there certainly are asexual human beings, I'm having a hard time believing 1% of the entire population goes in that, uh... way. But either way, it has nothing to do with my argument, since no asexual human is able to asexually reproduce. At least, none that I know of...

Wait, now that I think about it, QFGfan must have self-reproduced hundreds of cloned offspring in order to author so many posts on this forum in so little time. :eek

Perhaps he's the next step in human evolution? And to think we all thought he was childish! :lol

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#169 Post by Spikey » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:20 pm

I don't think Renodox is asexual, he is more anti relationships, or at least that's the image he gives me. But only Renodox himself can answer the question if he would classify himself as asexual.

BTW, 1% of the population is antisocial. I always end up calculating how many psychopats are with me in the subwaycar I'm in. :D

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#170 Post by anathoth8 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:44 pm

Vipt wrote:Woah, I'm not so sure about that study Flux. Though there certainly are asexual human beings, I'm having a hard time believing 1% of the entire population goes in that, uh... way. But either way, it has nothing to do with my argument, since no asexual human is able to asexually reproduce. At least, none that I know of...

Wait, now that I think about it, QFGfan must have self-reproduced hundreds of cloned offspring in order to author so many posts on this forum in so little time. :eek

Perhaps he's the next step in human evolution? And to think we all thought he was childish! :lol
Actually, for the sake of the mathematic argument, it really doesn't matter how the people reproduce. The assumption was that each couple had only two children. It really doesn't matter if they had them the normal way, or if they "budded" them off somehow (although that would be strange and disturbing); it doesn't change the outcome.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#171 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:44 am

heh heh heh QFGF STRIKES AGAIN with the 60th clone in his freak armada! please note that although I may seem weird the original QFGF who is standing across the room shaking hands with my 59 brothers is quite normal and is not imature but very awesome.

Disclaimer: all rights are reserved to the original awesome QFGF infact he hasn't logged on in almost a month. Please note that I am joking and am just freaking weird all the time. The only reason I post so much is because that's all I do, play video games and post when I'm not. I also have the tendency to post to all topics possible so the topic isn't dying as long as someone replies to me.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#172 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:00 am

Well, I need to read all of them, so could you do me a favor and not spam the forums just to up your post count? I noticed about 10 threads all ending in your username at the same time.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#173 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:20 pm

Sorry erp I was bored last night. My parents were watching the Alamo which I thought wasa bad movie.

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#174 Post by Vipt » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:25 pm

You have a point, Anathoth. But I think my argument still holds, even if one percent of the entire population is asexual. According to my paradigm, or scenario, I have set hypothetical controlled variables to prove a point, i.e. that if every female reproduces twice and only twice in her lifetime, population growth will remain neutral. So, including asexual persons, which would only be 0.5% since only half of total asexuals would be women, there would actually be reduced growth.

But of course there are thousands of other factors that would effect a true population growth scenario, such as infertility in females, low sperm count in males, infant mortality, not to mention all the social variables. Population is growing today in many contries because the average number of offspring per female in those countries is much greater than 2. This coupled with increasing life-spans (which is happening in many third-world countries, just to a lesser extent than in industrialized countires) is the culprit of increased population growth. I'm guessing it will stabilize again at some point, becuase as nations become more industrialized and more capitalistic, the trend is for population growth to become neutralized.

Population growth might also be stymied by a much grimmer factor, the spectre of war. I would guess, given the length of relative worldwide peace in the recent past, that total war could break out even among the industrialized nations of the world. It might seem unrealistic at the moment, but world politics can change very rapidly, and as quickly descend into aggresion. And the effects of such a modern world-war on world population would be more than just increased mortality rates.

Sorry for being so grim at the end here :( . I hope I'm wrong, but history does repeat itself.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#175 Post by Renodox » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:44 pm

(Iago's voice) I can't believe it I just can't believe it! (My voice) I leave for a bit and this is what I come back to! More people asking about that stupid population question I brought up!

If they'd rather die they'd better do it! And decrease the surplus population! -Ebenezer Scrooge.

And just for the record... Yeah, I'd say I'm asexual. Humans are more repulsive than attractive in my opinion.