Most popular WORLD sport

This forum is for the posting of fan polls and other surveys.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Which sport do you think is the worlds most popular?

Soccer
86%
Rugby
7%
Cricket
7%
Tennis
No votes
Basketball
No votes

Total votes: 14

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Most popular WORLD sport

#1 Post by Music Head » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:17 am

Which sport do you think is the worlds most popular?

LucasFan
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by LucasFan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:57 am

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:39 am

In my world it is rugby. :)

Soccer probably (that article LF pointed to doesn't have any proof - no research done, but I guess it is probably obvious), and I would have liked the sport if it wasn't so slow paced. And 7/10 times you'll get a draw... what a waste of almost 2 hours!

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Alias » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:59 am

I vote for Google! :lol

Broomie
The Enigma

#5 Post by Broomie » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:39 pm

Can't believe you called it soccer, it's football! Football is the greatest sport!

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by Music Head » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:06 am

Well in Australia we call football soccer and gritiron (i think it is what you call it) football.

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by Keenermart » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:32 pm

I refuse to bow down to the soccer gods of the uncivilized world... :p American football is a thing of beauty and finesse, yet still brutal and tough. I vote for the pigskin!! ;)

Gav
Knight Status

#8 Post by Gav » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:52 pm

I'm sure soccer (football) is the worlds biggest sport. I would also like to point out that I'm glad that it (the world's biggest sport) is not an American one (eg: gridiron, baseball, basketball).

In truth though, Australian Rules Football is probably the best sport in the world. All you Americans should seek out a team near you (there is at least one league) and check it out. It's a very physical game - think Rugby, Gridiron - but it also moves quickly like basketball, and requires a lot of skill.

And, besides, who doesn't want to get up and catch a ball kicked from 50 metres away like these:

http://www.users.on.net/~pwong/images/crocker.jpg

http://www.users.bigpond.com/tuffies/jezza.jpg

http://www.users.bigpond.com/tuffies/aj_mark.jpg

I watched the NRL grand final on the weekend, and I've got to say that, on that evidence, AFL (Australian Football League) players can catch (mark) the ball a lot better than rugby players.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Music Head » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:39 am

So Gav your an Aussie to. What your fav team? I'm a Port supporter

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#10 Post by Keenermart » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:34 am

Just to clear up a little confusion here.. what exactly are you talking about when you refer to "Gridiron"? I've heard of the field in American football be referred to as "the gridiron" but we never call the sport itself that... and since some people call soccer football, and all kinds of other weird stuff, I just wanted to be sure...

Gav
Knight Status

#11 Post by Gav » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:29 pm

Gridiron is what we call American football. I'm not really sure why.

Port, eh? *grumble grumble* I follow Hawthorn *sigh*. I'm sure we'll be back up there in a few years.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:49 pm

In Canada, soccer must be the most rare sport ever. The main sport here is hockey. There's also some curling though I guess..

Keenermart
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by Keenermart » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:21 am

Gav wrote:Gridiron is what we call American football. I'm not really sure why.
Ohhh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up... I guess it just comes from the occasional reference we make calling the field itself "the gridirion." Couldn't tell you where that comes from either, though... although the field does kinda look like a grid... who knows?? |I

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#14 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:40 am

I wanna move away from Canada because I can't go to school in the winter without hearing about hockey! I think the best joke I ever made in class was when we saw a video of this guy who was very PO'd and started shoving everyone around and I said "OMG IT'S TYE DOMI" I mean I didn't even find it funny at all. Also note that although basketball was made in...aww can't remeber the state i think it was massachusets it was invented By a Candian Dr. Naismith and originally the net was a basket an whenever a goal was scored the janitor would have to go up and get the ball out. The only other canadian in the room other then the doc recomended cutting a hole in it and thus lo and behold we have basketball a Canadian Sport. Also Hockey although made in Canada was first played by british soldiers with those big furry hats you see. So I geuss basketball could be considered both but so could hockey. The fact that people get pissed off at game results confused me till I remebered I once played Tales Of Symphonia and actually yelled at a character in the game "YOU BASTARD HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO MARBLE IM GOING TO KILL YOU YOU SOB!" I was really into the game. one last point I make is why does it matter who made what or who did what? It's there do it or ignore it and tada a better civalization where people don't get injured in accordance to what team they like or play for. Now if we could do the same for religion then we'd be all set! well there's all I know about sports toodles.

Jafar
Super Star

#15 Post by Jafar » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:02 am

[What Jafar sees:]

" wanna move away from Canada because I can't go to school "
"DFJHFGJDFYKSFGHSFGHFGHSFGH*Continues*"
"well there's all I know about sports toodles."
:p

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#16 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:06 am

I agree. How many times does Erpy have to ask him?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#17 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:51 am

I thought it was legible at the time. Infact I still say it's slightly legible and that Jafar's "attempt" was a lil to close to hiding iliteracy then making a comment.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#18 Post by Erpy » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:52 am

Not in the least. THIS is legable:

----------------------------

I wanna move away from Canada because I can't go to school in the winter without hearing about hockey!

I think the best joke I ever made in class was when we saw a video of this guy who was very PO'd and started shoving everyone around and I said "OMG IT'S TYE DOMI" I mean I didn't even find it funny at all.

Also note that although basketball was made in...aww can't remeber the state i think it was massachusets it was invented By a Candian Dr. Naismith and originally the net was a basket an whenever a goal was scored the janitor would have to go up and get the ball out. The only other canadian in the room other then the doc recomended cutting a hole in it and thus lo and behold we have basketball a Canadian Sport.

Also Hockey although made in Canada was first played by british soldiers with those big furry hats you see. So I geuss basketball could be considered both but so could hockey.

The fact that people get pissed off at game results confused me till I remebered I once played Tales Of Symphonia and actually yelled at a character in the game "YOU BASTARD HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO MARBLE IM GOING TO KILL YOU YOU SOB!" I was really into the game. one last point I make is why does it matter who made what or who did what? It's there do it or ignore it and tada a better civalization where people don't get injured in accordance to what team they like or play for. Now if we could do the same for religion then we'd be all set! well there's all I know about sports toodles.
----------------------------------------------------

Certainly you know that there's a difference between speaking language and writing language? Writing language is supposed to be a little more structured with the use of punctuation in order to avoid making sentences less long (you seem to write exactly like someone would chatter on the phone) and the use of PARAGRAPHS. You did learn about the use of paragraphs in school, right?

That last dig at Jafar wasn't appreciated. Your posts ARE hard to read and it's not like I and the others are lazy for not wanting to read it, it's just that one big jumble of letters with very little structure is not very easy on the eyes.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#19 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:30 pm

to be honest with you I didn't even learn commas in school. Infact up untill grade 7 I was completely denied an education and even then I wasn't learning well because I was 9 years behiend. If you were to get 2 years of school I'm sure anyone here would be faring a lot worse then I am.

That being said I'll try and learn paragraphing as I'm just getting over proper sentencing. Well there's my rant of the day and no one will believe it. Well go to school and try and convince your parents you don't speak the language it is in. I doubt you'll learn very much.

Gav
Knight Status

#20 Post by Gav » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:05 am

Why do Americans even call their game "football"? How many times a game does the ball get kicked anyway? Soccer and Australian Rules Football are both worthy of the name since the ball is passed mostly by foot, and in ARF, goals can only be scored by kicking the ball.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#21 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:46 am

You'll have the answer to that question if you realize what measurement system the US is using and why they're not gonna change it anytime soon. :lol

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#22 Post by Music Head » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:16 pm

Hey what's up with the poll?
Soccer: 88%
Rugby: 11%
Total: 99%

Wheres the 1%?

Gav
Knight Status

#23 Post by Gav » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:24 pm

I guess it rounds the percentages down.

Therefore, they should really say 88.888888- and 11.11111-.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#24 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:18 pm

once in gym the class was outside playing football. A guy I know had a terrible pass go to him and he just put his foot out in desperation causing the ball to reflect back at the thrower. I said what do you think this is? some kind of a foot ba.... o wait.but if it was called soccer here i wouldn't have looked so stupid.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#25 Post by bartonjo2 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:54 am

guys you surprise me why is it that everyone voted for soccer when its perfectly obvious that chess is the worlds most popular sport. since it wasnt an option I had to vote for the third best sport cricket cuz the 2nd best sport polo was not an option

:rollin