The Hero

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

The Hero

#1 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:07 pm

thoughout a number of forums ive called my self the hero ever sence i 1st joined four months ago anyone have anythoughts rants or compilments on my posts im open for a wack down i want to try and improve on my post abilty and the rules here to one day become a moderater here.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:24 pm

well there are already as many admins here as needed in fact one should get cut! lol. If you really want to you can send this in in a kind of resume format to Navynuke or someone.

PS. In Diablo 2 I once called a pallidin KingOfSilmaria but I have laid of QFG names till now.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:26 pm

Heh, we never hold applications for moderatorship. We simply pick whoever fits the criteria in our opinion. One shouldn't post or behave in a certain way because one is hoping to become a mod.

When looking for mods, I usually look at:

- Conduct on the forums
- Would they be able to communicate with the team on the same wavelength / would they get along with the rest of the team
- Communication (in the sense of, how well are they able to correctly verbalise their/our stance)
- Helpfulness (do they often take the initiative to help people who have questions)
- Are there conflicts of interests
- Familiarity (how long have they been on the forums and how familiar are they with the way things are ran here, as well as the regular visitors.)

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: The Hero

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:42 pm

The Hero wrote:thoughout a number of forums ive called my self the hero ever sence i 1st joined four months ago anyone have anythoughts rants or compilments on my posts im open for a wack down i want to try and improve on my post abilty and the rules here to one day become a moderater here.
Well, this for starters. Your posts SHOULD read like this.
The Hero wrote: Throughout a number of forums, I've called myself "The Hero" ever since I first joined four months ago. Does anyone have any thought, rants, or compliments on my posts? I'm open for a wack down. I want to try and improve my posting ability and the rules here to one day become a moderator here.
Ok, that's not even correct, or good, but it's better. Your grammar and spelling is horrible, your sentence structure makes me shudder, and I would never, ever take you seriiously as a moderator.

You would need to improve your abilities in areas as such, as well as being able to convey points clearer.

Bt

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#5 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:02 pm

I now know what i must do.
ps. any qustions about ANY qfg game feel free to ask.

to bt how i spell or how my grammer is. Is some what
horibble but i do how always try and make sure the members can read my posts.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#6 Post by Uhanimar » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:03 pm

Woah is dioblo 2 a mmorpg?

If not can you reccomend it?

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#7 Post by Swift » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:47 am

DIablo 2 is just an RPG that can be played in either single-player mode or multiplayer mode. It's not an MMORPG.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#8 Post by Uhanimar » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:20 am

Ah....i know what dioblo 2 is i just never played it....i only played a demo of dioblo 1 and liked it so i'm thinking about getting dioblo 2....

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#9 Post by KKuhlman » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:57 pm

Swift wrote:DIablo 2 is just an RPG that can be played in either single-player mode or multiplayer mode.
No RP in it though... :\

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#10 Post by Uhanimar » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:17 pm

Soulblighter wrote:
Swift wrote:DIablo 2 is just an RPG that can be played in either single-player mode or multiplayer mode.
No RP in it though... :\
Not true....i played diablo once and it had role playing in it....what i hated is that you couldn't make your own character :cry :cry :cry :cry

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#11 Post by KKuhlman » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:13 pm

Have to ask, where?

adeyke

#12 Post by adeyke » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:51 pm

I quite like D2. It's a fun game.

However, it's not an RPG. RPGs are really characterized by role-playing. You should become your character. You should see the world through your character's eyes, think the way the character thinks, etc.

D2 doesn't have that. Your character has no story, no motivations, etc. Basically, your character has no character. There isn't any meaningful NPC interaction, either. They give you quests, gossip, and sell things, but that's it.

D2 would more accurately be classified as an action/rogue-like game. Most of the game is spent killing random monsters for experience and random items. The focus isn't on any plot but on gaining levels, getting the best equipment you can, and choosing the right skills to boost. Throughout this, you never see your character as yourself, or even as a person; you just see him as your character.

It's a very fun game, but it's not an RPG.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#13 Post by Uhanimar » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:33 pm

adeyke wrote:I quite like D2. It's a fun game.

However, it's not an RPG. RPGs are really characterized by role-playing. You should become your character. You should see the world through your character's eyes, think the way the character thinks, etc.

D2 doesn't have that. Your character has no story, no motivations, etc. Basically, your character has no character. There isn't any meaningful NPC interaction, either. They give you quests, gossip, and sell things, but that's it.

D2 would more accurately be classified as an action/rogue-like game. Most of the game is spent killing random monsters for experience and random items. The focus isn't on any plot but on gaining levels, getting the best equipment you can, and choosing the right skills to boost. Throughout this, you never see your character as yourself, or even as a person; you just see him as your character.

It's a very fun game, but it's not an RPG.
NOT TRUE

Geez....an RPG is role playing game and as long as the game has leveling up, it's an RPG....talk to the gaming experts they say that....

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#14 Post by KKuhlman » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:53 pm

an RPG is role playing game
You couldn't be more right about that, but this formula isn't roleplaying:
-head to killing fields
-head back when your HP/MP is low or your inventory is full
-sell all the useless stuff, buy better equipment
-repeat 20 times
-level up
-start over

Its as Adeyke said:
"You should become your character. You should see the world through your character's eyes, think the way the character thinks, etc."

Also, normally played without a computer ;)

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#15 Post by Uhanimar » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:13 am

Soulblighter wrote:
an RPG is role playing game
You couldn't be more right about that, but this formula isn't roleplaying:
-head to killing fields
-head back when your HP/MP is low or your inventory is full
-sell all the useless stuff, buy better equipment
-repeat 20 times
-level up
-start over

Its as Adeyke said:
"You should become your character. You should see the world through your character's eyes, think the way the character thinks, etc."

Also, normally played without a computer ;)
NOOOOOO

Thats not what diablo is about!

It's about:

1.Leveling up
2.killing stuff
3.getting cash to buy better equipment
4.exploring the world

You have obviusly never played runescape :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

adeyke

#16 Post by adeyke » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:52 am

NOOOOOO

It's about:

1.Leveling up
2.killing stuff
4.exploring the world
It looks to me like you're agreeing, not disagreeing.

The only "exploration" in the game is looking for the exit/stairs to the next area. I wouldn't call that exploration.

So the gameplay is mainly leveling, killing things, and getting cash for better equipment. That can be very fun. However, there isn't any role-playing involved.

I guess if you just define RPG as a game with stats that go up (and a definition like that isn't really uncommon), then D2 would qualify. However, I think it's important to draw a distinction between rogue-likes/dungeon-crawlers and true RPGs.

Rogue-likes generally have a random map, with random monsters. If you kill the monsters, they drop random loot. The focus of the game is on gaining levels, getting better equipment, and advancing to the next area. Then there's some kind of boss at the end. While there might be some quests, they're almost always just killing someone or finding an item.

True RPGs have the whole role-playing bit. Admittedly, this is much easier with a human DM than a computer. However, computer RPGs still try to let you be your character, and some do a very good job of it. True RPGs often have an actual plot, and actual decisions the player can make in it, as well as meaningful NPC interaction. While there's still some random combat for levels and equipment, this isn't the only thing in the game.

Again, I like D2. It's one of my favourite games. However, I like it as the action/rogue-like game it is, not as an RPG.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#17 Post by Uhanimar » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:41 pm

adeyke wrote:
NOOOOOO

It's about:

1.Leveling up
2.killing stuff
4.exploring the world
It looks to me like you're agreeing, not disagreeing.

The only "exploration" in the game is looking for the exit/stairs to the next area. I wouldn't call that exploration.

So the gameplay is mainly leveling, killing things, and getting cash for better equipment. That can be very fun. However, there isn't any role-playing involved.

I guess if you just define RPG as a game with stats that go up (and a definition like that isn't really uncommon), then D2 would qualify. However, I think it's important to draw a distinction between rogue-likes/dungeon-crawlers and true RPGs.

Rogue-likes generally have a random map, with random monsters. If you kill the monsters, they drop random loot. The focus of the game is on gaining levels, getting better equipment, and advancing to the next area. Then there's some kind of boss at the end. While there might be some quests, they're almost always just killing someone or finding an item.

True RPGs have the whole role-playing bit. Admittedly, this is much easier with a human DM than a computer. However, computer RPGs still try to let you be your character, and some do a very good job of it. True RPGs often have an actual plot, and actual decisions the player can make in it, as well as meaningful NPC interaction. While there's still some random combat for levels and equipment, this isn't the only thing in the game.

Again, I like D2. It's one of my favourite games. However, I like it as the action/rogue-like game it is, not as an RPG.

NOOOOOOOO

>: >: >: >:

There is LOTS of exploring in it....the lands are really beutifal and....

ALSO I have heard thousands of times that as long as it has leveling up, it is an RPG....you have never played runescape have you?

Role playing most of the time means upgrading your character in the way of leveling up....you see, when you start up diablo you start off just killing stuff....than you level up, get wepons and other things....DND heros was considered a role playing game because it had leveling up in it....it didn't have any "getting into your character"....thats just story telling not roleplaying....

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#18 Post by KKuhlman » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:42 pm

....it didn't have any "getting into your character"....thats just story telling not roleplaying
After nearly 9 years of roleplaying I can safely say, getting into your character is roleplaying and that Diablo is hack'n'slash that has no roleplaying in it, it only has the element of leveling up that some, not all roleplaying games and systems use. That does not make it an rpg.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#19 Post by Uhanimar » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:39 pm

Soulblighter wrote:
....it didn't have any "getting into your character"....thats just story telling not roleplaying
After nearly 9 years of roleplaying I can safely say, getting into your character is roleplaying and that Diablo is hack'n'slash that has no roleplaying in it, it only has the element of leveling up that some, not all roleplaying games and systems use. That does not make it an rpg.

>: >: >: >:

As long as it has leveling up in it, it's an rpg....go look the dang game up on mobygames....what do they call it?: AN RPG

Same with many others that you would consider not an rpg....hack and slash games don't have leveling up....rpgs do, making diablo a mutt....

I do reasearch on the internet to find out these things.... :D :D :D :D

adeyke

#20 Post by adeyke » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:07 pm

As long as it has leveling up in it, it's an rpg....
And here I thought it needed a plot and things. How foolish I was. Thank you for enlightening me. I've taken this new knowledge to create my own RPG. You can play it here. This has all the features of an RPG. I've left out all those pointless details that aren't necessary for the genre. So this truly is an RPG in its purest form. Enjoy.

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#21 Post by KKuhlman » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:14 pm

Why can't I raise my stats...? :cry

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#22 Post by Uhanimar » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:50 pm

adeyke wrote:
As long as it has leveling up in it, it's an rpg....
And here I thought it needed a plot and things. How foolish I was. Thank you for enlightening me. I've taken this new knowledge to create my own RPG. You can play it here. This has all the features of an RPG. I've left out all those pointless details that aren't necessary for the genre. So this truly is an RPG in its purest form. Enjoy.
NOOOO

you have to have a character and go along with the story whitch you do in diablo!

Did you goto moby games? did you see what they called it? it was a RPG....

there are all sorts of rpgs....there is a RPG like diablo where you hack and slash and level up sertain stats and get items and explore the world and get into the story line....and there are games like the origanal DND where you level up make a character get into character and go through the world and create a adventure story from playing....

Go to moby games and look up diablo and look at what it's called....

Also tell me a "rpg that has role playing in it"....and i'll check it out :D :D :D :D

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#23 Post by Uhanimar » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:20 pm

Okay....after some research i found that you and i are both right....yes diablo is a hack and slash game with action and adventure but it also has leveling up and storylines for each character....

We are both right, it is an rpg and it isn't

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#24 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:08 am

diablo is a awful game

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#25 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:18 am

The Hero wrote:diablo is a awful game
Are you talking about the series in general, or just the first one?