The Hero

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#26 Post by Uhanimar » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:08 am

Boogeyman wrote:
The Hero wrote:diablo is a awful game
Are you talking about the series in general, or just the first one?
Hey i LIKED the first one!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#27 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:25 am

Holy geez this topic sucks

Adeyke or whoever: This is an RPG
U-man:NOOOOO THIS IS AN RPG (describes the same thing but takes out important elements

Repeat 20 times and HERE is a topic

I can't believe one mention of a game I used to play got this far. To me those games were addictive time consumers like The sims and nothing more. The debate of what catogory they fall in is probably the only debate that can be made that's not like "BARBARION PWNS J00 PALLY'S CAN SUCK IT!" and the next guy says "FOO IT'S PALLY>BARB" reponds with "SHHU UP CRACKA" and then either lkeaves or enters hostility. And the sims is more like "The piano makes your creativty go up faster then the painting" next man "Oh I disagree although the piano costs 3,500 simoleans not only does the painting stand make your creativity go up just as fast you can sell the paintings AND it only costs 55 simoleans" "Point taken I see you may be correct, but I do like the music the piano plays when you get good" "yes indoubiously"

so even though one game is far more civilized then the other (note that one is also MP and the other is not unless you buy an expansion) the arguments are the same.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#28 Post by Boogeyman » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:02 am

Uhanimar wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:
The Hero wrote:diablo is a awful game
Are you talking about the series in general, or just the first one?
Same here. although the second one is WAY better.

The Hero doesn't seem to like either and shall now pay the price:

Spirits of Mist And Creatures of Bog,
Transform The Hero to the shape of a Frog!

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#29 Post by Swift » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:12 am

You seem to like turning people into frogs, Boogeyman.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#30 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:43 am

Cool sig Swift, thats the same Unicorn Vamp has in her sig

Nice one aint it :)

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#31 Post by Swift » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:52 am

Yeah, I thought that unicorn looked familiar!

Thanks, Angelus. Pyro made it for me. In fact, he's making hero badges for all the heroes, superheroes and a famous adventurer.

Yeah, Vamp's sigs have all been very nice.

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#32 Post by anathoth8 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:04 pm

I'm afraid that I cannot see Swift's sig or avatar.

As to what qualifies as an RPG, one only need look at the term itself: "Role Playing Game". Hence, it is a game in which one must play a role. In other words, get into the character. Quid pro quo.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#33 Post by Uhanimar » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:55 pm

Boogeyman wrote:
Uhanimar wrote:
Boogeyman wrote: Are you talking about the series in general, or just the first one?
Same here. although the second one is WAY better.

The Hero doesn't seem to like either and shall now pay the price:

Spirits of Mist And Creatures of Bog,
Transform The Hero to the shape of a Frog!

Hmm....maybe i should go for diablo 2....i saw the graphics and it looked almost the same as diablo 1....i might put that one on me wish list :D :D :D :D

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#34 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:19 am

Don't forget about the Lord of Destruction expansion and be sure to get version 1.10(the latest version)

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#35 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:28 am

i dont like any diablo games

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#36 Post by Uhanimar » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:12 am

Boogeyman wrote:Don't forget about the Lord of Destruction expansion and be sure to get version 1.10(the latest version)
I've decided to put diablo on me wishlist....but the prob is if i get the expantion pack does it have a gold edition so i can get both? Also how do i know if it is version 1.10?

adeyke

#37 Post by adeyke » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:36 am

There is a Diablo Battle Chest that has Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and Diablo 2 Expansion (as well as a "strategy guide" for D2 that you should never, ever look at). The 1.10 patch can just be downloaded, so you don't have to worry about that.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#38 Post by Uhanimar » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:53 am

adeyke wrote:There is a Diablo Battle Chest that has Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and Diablo 2 Expansion (as well as a "strategy guide" for D2 that you should never, ever look at). The 1.10 patch can just be downloaded, so you don't have to worry about that.
SO THATS what the battle chest is huh?

Why should i never look at the stratagy guide?

adeyke

#39 Post by adeyke » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:40 am

Let's just say it's not perfectly accurate. It was already full of false information and bad advice when it was written. Since then, there have been several major patches that drastically changed the game. Of course, the strategy guide wasn't updated. So if you read the guide, you'll actually know less about the game than if you didn't. It's that bad.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#40 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:48 am

The Hero wrote:i dont like any diablo games
Powers that rule over regions soggy,
turn The Hero back into a froggy!

I say read the guides for the walkthroughs are accurate.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#41 Post by Swift » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:49 am

anathoth8 wrote:I'm afraid that I cannot see Swift's sig or avatar.
Yeah, I couldn't see it either this morning. I think this webserver (domaindlx) isn't very stable.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#42 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:20 pm

I love how this thread has descended into a conversation that little resembles what the original topic is.

Bt

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#43 Post by Uhanimar » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:00 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:I love how this thread has descended into a conversation that little resembles what the original topic is.

Bt
Welcome to the world of forum fun :lol :lol :lol :lol

Also i think i'm going to get the diablo battle chest on amazon or something....

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#44 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:27 pm

I bought it 3 years ago off amazon for 20 bucks around christmas. They told me it was a mistake but they had to sell it to me anyways for that price! I laugh when I see it in stores for 40. Hell I even see D2 alone for 20 lol

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#45 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:28 pm

Don't forget about the Lord of Destruction expansion and be sure to get version 1.10(the latest version)
As I play only Single Player, I can safely say that v1.10 is a *****. I stick to a managable, yet fun, 1.09d. Starting with Act V NM and continuing all the way through Hell, 1.10 royally beats you up. I had a level 77 Frenzy Barb who, in 1.09, has made it to Act V Ancients (still hasn't beat them because they always spawn with horrible mods :|) without too many problems, but that same Barb (actually a stronger Barb with better skill placement because of the synergies to Frenzy in Taunt and Double Swing) in 1.10, with MUCH BETTER equipment, was getting his head handed to him in Act I Hell. However, if you play on bnet, you're forced to upgrade to 1.10 (plus it's easier if you get people to give you stuff), so if that's your aim then you needn't worry, I guess. *shrugs*

But yeah, D2 is a very fun and addictive game, even for Single Players like me. I don't have hardly any time to play it these days, unfortunately, but it's still top-notch entertainment IMO. Best $50 I ever spent! :D

Edit: And regarding the whole RPG/Non-RPG discussion, here's a couple of links to Wikipedia that define what an RPG is both tradtionally, as in pen-and-paper (here), as well as the video game counterpart (here).

~Wolfgang

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#46 Post by Uhanimar » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:52 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I bought it 3 years ago off amazon for 20 bucks around christmas. They told me it was a mistake but they had to sell it to me anyways for that price! I laugh when I see it in stores for 40. Hell I even see D2 alone for 20 lol
I am SO putting diablo battle chest on me wishlist....i have a few other friends that say that diablo is the greatest game ever....

adeyke

#47 Post by adeyke » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:05 am

Personally, I like 1.10. While it is harder than 1.09, I don't view this as a bad thing; 1.09 was simply much too easy for me once I had acquired some gear to twink. So a bit of extra challenge is a good thing.

And 1.10 introduces lots of nice new things. New runewords, new rare item possibilities (so rare weapons actually have a chance of being useful), new uniques, improved set items (so some sets are actually useable), new cube recipes (most significantly, the upgrade ones), and so on. And they rebalanced the skills, as well as adding synergies. Some skills that were nearly useless in 1.09 (e.g. venom, enchant, raise skeleton, blade fury, charged strike) actually do something in 1.10. And then they fixed some many of 1.09's bugs, replacing them with new 1.10 bugs ;).

Of course, part of the reason why I like 1.10 is also that I do have some b.net characters. Mainly, though, I like the technical aspect of the game: finding out exactly how things work and answering questions people have about the game. Knowledge about 1.09 isn't in great demand, compared to knowledge about 1.10.

For me, "D2" means "the newest version of Diablo 2 expansion."

(BTW, if you do use 1.09, I'd go with 1.09b. There's a bug with 1.09c and 1.09d that all the chance to cast effects simply don't work.)

Wolfgang Abenteuer

#48 Post by Wolfgang Abenteuer » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:58 am

Well, I don't really use the chance to cast stuff anyway, nor do I use anything greater than players8, so it's moot to me in that regard. I'm sure I'll go back to 1.10 at some point, but the way I look at it is that I enjoy 1.09 and there's still LOTS of stuff for me to experience in that version before I move on to the next. I've only finished the game with three different character classes (Sorceress, Amazon, Paladin), and my Pally had to be HEAVILY twinked to make it past Hell Ancients (unless I wanted to dump points into FoH and run around the Summit with Meditation) - including an HoZ, Baranar's, and some stuff with IAS and Crushing Blow, and even then I was lucky that they spawned with lame mods.

But yeah, the new runewords and stuff look like great fun, although it would seem to me (or at least my poor Barb :p) that you'd actually NEED some of that super gear to make it through an SP game. Once I "finish" 1.09 - like Mat/Pat one of each char, and maybe even go for the grail (yea, right :D ) - then I'll move on to 1.10 and start anew. But that's a loooooooooong way down the road. :)

BTW, since you like the technical stuff (and I'm too lazy to look it up ATM ;) ), what TC is Archon Plate, and what's the earliest monsters can drop it? IIRC it was a really high armour TC, so I'm guessing anything pre- Hell Ancient's Way wouldn't work.

Edit:
New runewords, new rare item possibilities (so rare weapons actually have a chance of being useful), new uniques, improved set items (so some sets are actually useable), new cube recipes (most significantly, the upgrade ones), and so on. And they rebalanced the skills, as well as adding synergies. Some skills that were nearly useless in 1.09 (e.g. venom, enchant, raise skeleton, blade fury, charged strike) actually do something in 1.10. And then they fixed some many of 1.09's bugs, replacing them with new 1.10 bugs .
:lol at the new bugs thing. They fixed the FE bug on bnet though, didn't they? Because that would be one horrible way to lose an HC character (not that I play HC - my computer hardware couldn't take the beating I'd give it were I to lose hours of gameplay because of a stupid mistake).

Also, yeah, the rune upgrade thing is awesome, considering my ATMA stash is chock full of Thul runes. Plus I was having quite a lot of fun with my 1.10 skellimancer, I must say. But on the whole I prefer melee characters to casters, although a skellimancer could be considered both, I suppose.

What I wish for was that a single-tree Sorc would have been viable in Single Player. THAT would have been cool. Asking for too much, I realise, but cool nonetheless.

~Wolfgang

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#49 Post by Uhanimar » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:10 am

I'm thinking about getting it tomarrow :D :D :D :D

adeyke

#50 Post by adeyke » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:32 am

Well, if you haven't gotten sick of 1.09 yet, I can see wanting to play more of it. I'd already gotten 15 characters through hell in 1.09, and had started some intentionally underpowered ones (a mêlée necro and a nude sorceress) to try to get some more fun out of it. So 1.10 was quite a welcome change.

With the upgrade recipes, I didn't mean the extra rune ones. I meant the ability to upgrade rare/unique weapons from normal to exceptional and from exceptional to elite. Some items are very nice to upgrade, as can be found out here.

As for the question... Archon plate is in TC 84. It looks like in 1.09, it could drop about anywhere in act 5 hell, as well as from hell Diablo.

And yes, the FE bug was fixed on b.net, but not in SP. I'd really like for a downloadable patch that fixes this and some other bugs, and gives the currently realms-only runewords to SP players.