Another Question about QfG2

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Daelin
Peasant Status

Another Question about QfG2

#1 Post by Daelin » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:25 am

Quoted from Corey Cole in an interview
You *lose* 10 Paladin Points if you disturb/kill the Griffin. (There is
a way to get a Griffin feather without bothering the Griffin.) This was
not supposed to have been a total disqualifier, but it effectively is
(since you can get at most 34 Paladin Points prior to becoming a
Paladin, and losing 10 reduces you to 24 -- below the limit). Sorry! If
we ever do a remake, we'll reduce the penalty to -5.
Do you intend to change this penalty or will it remain a Paladin Disqualifier in the VGA remake?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:58 am

No, we lowered the penalty to 5. We figured the griffin battle was too fun to keep it on the "not to do"-list of many players.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by JLM5 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:30 pm

Erpy wrote:No, we lowered the penalty to 5. We figured the griffin battle was too fun to keep it on the "not to do"-list of many players.
I have never completed QFG2 (actually I once got stuck and finally tired to try - but that's another story) but do you mean the griffins don't belong to the wandering monsters of QFG2? Is there really just one and only Griffin to fight in whole the game!?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#4 Post by Gronagor » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:35 pm

Can one get stuck in QfG2? I've never encountered any problems during the game!? QfG1,4,5 may have some 'sticking' points, but 2 and 3 really are pretty much straight forward.

Hmmm... maybe you guys SHOULD add frequent Griffin attacks in the desert after you've killed that first one.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:55 pm

I have never completed QFG2 (actually I once got stuck and finally tired to try - but that's another story) but do you mean the griffins don't belong to the wandering monsters of QFG2? Is there really just one and only Griffin to fight in whole the game!?
Yep, there's only one of them and you don't fight it if you don't provoke it first.
Can one get stuck in QfG2? I've never encountered any problems during the game!? QfG1,4,5 may have some 'sticking' points, but 2 and 3 really are pretty much straight forward.
Yes, you can. By dropping certain important items, like the bellows, magic lamp, clothes or visa, you can find yourself unable to proceed. But anyone with an IQ of more than 1 digit shouldn't stumble into those kinds of situations.
Hmmm... maybe you guys SHOULD add frequent Griffin attacks in the desert after you've killed that first one.

I'm afraid that's not going to happen. But you have multiple encounters with the mentioned griffin. (but that was already the case in the original)

Radiant
Knight Status

hm

#6 Post by Radiant » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:00 pm

I suppose it would be possible to get stuck in the endgame if you didn't train your stats enough to (f) beat Khaveen, (t) walk the tightrope, or (w) forgot to learn the Reversal spell.
I remember getting nearly stuck as a thief because you're supposed to throw daggers at Ad Avis in the endgame... and I only carried one. Luckily I still had mud, and you can also dowse the candle by throwing mud.

JLM5
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by JLM5 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:10 pm

Gronagor wrote:Can one get stuck in QfG2? I've never encountered any problems during the game!? QfG1,4,5 may have some 'sticking' points, but 2 and 3 really are pretty much straight forward.
The reason was the game's difficult interface - the parser. My character was a magic user, and I was trying to get in the WIT (If I remember right, it was in the northern part of town). When I entered to the WIT, someone asked me something like "What are you looking for" and I could never answer right - I was always thrown back to the street of town. Finally I really get tired and since that I haven't played QFG2.

Radiant
Knight Status

huh?

#8 Post by Radiant » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:31 pm

Er, I believe the answer was, "magic". I thought that was obvious?
I know there has been a lot of critique on classic parser games' lack of word recognition or sentence recognition - but I've played tons of those and the only place where it ever bothered me was LSL2's infamous "put airsick bag in hair rejuvenator". Considering I'm not a native English speaker and I started these games when I was nine or ten years old, I'd say that's a pretty good track record for the parsers.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#9 Post by bartonjo2 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:37 pm

i had the same trouble with kq 3

Daelin
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Daelin » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:23 am

Indeed. Especially when it came to spells and the manual used different words in some places.

I remember in KQ2 trying to stab the snake with my sword. Cut, stab, slice, dice...

Thesaurusitus has always been a problem with text and parser games though.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#11 Post by Gronagor » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:41 am

JLM5 wrote:When I entered to the WIT, someone asked me something like "What are you looking for" and I could never answer right - I was always thrown back to the street of town. Finally I really get tired and since that I haven't played QFG2.
Heh. :) Yeah. 'Magic' was the answer.

I don't think you needed WIT (even as a magician) to finish the game. But OK, I understand what you're saying.

bartonjo2
Knight Status

#12 Post by bartonjo2 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:47 am

The trouble I had in Kings Quest 3 was 'pat dough'

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#13 Post by Renodox » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:30 am

Actually the answer to the "what are you searching for" question can be "magic" or "wizard" either one will work.

I don't know, I don't think the griffin keeps you out of getting a paladin status if you talk to him. I got it dozens of times and I still asked him about a feather.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#14 Post by Gronagor » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:11 am

Renodox wrote:I don't know, I don't think the griffin keeps you out of getting a paladin status if you talk to him. I got it dozens of times and I still asked him about a feather.
I think they meant attacking it.

Thepal
Knight Status

#15 Post by Thepal » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:55 am

"Why have you sought to enter the Wizard's Institute of Technocery?" is the question I think (just checked and am relying on horrible memory to get it phrased right).

I've always used "To become a wizard." For stuff like that I like answering the question in full ^_^